The Howling Void

An Ultimate DooM themed Map Pack.

(Fixed a few missing Thing errors)

Updated Link: THV.zip

Specs:

IWAD: DooM II

Runs in Zandronum

No. of Maps: 36

Designed for Continuous play on Hurt Me Plenty.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180704_230725.png.86a8b610e3d4c252a43516d868ceb839.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180704_231000.png.0ffdf2bbaef38314cdb1e988d3431f2f.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180704_230911.png.63b195cbf4b10189daa855951b49fa62.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180704_231113.png.963151481a88e859f67d5ec5987c7ecf.png

Edited by NeptunesTyrant : reuploaded Wad

1st thing i need to say is that you should allways tell for which sourceports this was made. I look in GZdoom Builder and it's said Boom. So i tried to load this in prboom+ but i got 264 textures errors. I ussualy didn't work or play in boom sourceports but it's looks you didn't test your wad in sourceport you was aiming for. Be sure you allways test your map more than enough to make sure everything is ok, especially in "mother sourceport" . But it's looks like nice retro styled wad, going to check this on gzdoom.

Edit: even in gzdoom im getting some texture problems like here:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180921_143034.png.1de49d5037253a7d17016535c7a985be.png not sure what's going on in this wad.

I'm such a idiot :), about those black textures i wrote. I play it with wrong iwad, when i saw in GZDB maps named E1M1 and so on i automatically load it up with doom1 wad. It's really uncommon to see doom 2 maps named like that and it confused me. Neverthless your maps are very cool. There are some few unaligned textures but who cares right? Good layout. Easier but fun gameplay and nice visuals and details With great retro feeling. Heaving lot of fun so far. Nice job.

1 hour ago, Marlamir said:

I'm such a idiot :), about those black textures i wrote. I play it with wrong iwad, when i saw in GZDB maps named E1M1 and so on i automatically load it up with doom1 wad. It's really uncommon to see doom 2 maps named like that and it confused me. Neverthless your maps are very cool. There are some few unaligned textures but who cares right? Good layout. Easier but fun gameplay and nice visuals and details With great retro feeling. Heaving lot of fun so far. Nice job.

Ah.

Thanks for the feedback.

I was hoping to capture the style of DooM 1 since I played each episode as a sort of research to note the textures, layouts and general colour schemes used by ID, since I know I neither have the patience nor the skill to try craft the giant beautiful worlds of some other mods and megawads.

They look really good. It looks like you have some custom textures in there--you should credit where got them.

Also, nice skies. Where did you get them?

I think you mean that the IWAD is doomu.wad, and that doom2.wad is supposed to be used as a resource.

4 hours ago, Marlamir said:

It's really uncommon to see doom 2 maps named like that and it confused me.

They are definitely Ultimate Doom maps.

whipped up a quick credits.txt and reuploaded.

2 hours ago, wintertowns said:

I think you mean that the IWAD is doomu.wad, and that doom2.wad is supposed to be used as a resource.

They are definitely Ultimate Doom maps.

No, Doom II is the intended IWAD, the maps are simply named in the eXmY format for the DooM1 feel.

24 minutes ago, NeptunesTyrant said:

No, Doom II is the intended IWAD, the maps are simply named in the eXmY format for the DooM1 feel.

Now I get it, you have to start from the menu or console. I tried to warp directly from Windows into a level. Pretty weird not being able to do that, since it's possible with practically every other wad. It's still possible if I load your wad with Ultimate Doom as IWAD and then load doom2.wad for resources. Got any specific reason for not making it Boom-compatible? Just curious, as it has this really nice vanilla feel.

2 hours ago, wintertowns said:

Now I get it, you have to start from the menu or console. I tried to warp directly from Windows into a level. Pretty weird not being able to do that, since it's possible with practically every other wad. It's still possible if I load your wad with Ultimate Doom as IWAD and then load doom2.wad for resources. Got any specific reason for not making it Boom-compatible? Just curious, as it has this really nice vanilla feel.

Because I honestly don't know what Boom is.

1 hour ago, NeptunesTyrant said:

Because I honestly don't know what Boom is.

Making it Boom-compatible nowadays basically means making it playable in PrBoom+. It's an older engine which is like vanilla, but without the vanilla limits for mapsize and amount of stuff the engine can render simultaneously. It also controls like vanilla gameplaywise, and it's much less taxing on systems than ZDoom. Everything I know of that was made for PrBoom+ also runs perfectly in later ports, like ZDoom/Zandronum, but the opposite almost never works.

Examples of well known mapsets created with Boom in mind include Ancient Aliens, Valiant, Sunlust, Stardate 20x6, Stardate 20x7, Back to Saturn X and Sunder. The list goes on.

Of course there are the "old bad, new good" people as well as the reverse of that. I suggest reading this discussion considering the pros and cons for mapping in Boom format.

Really fun maps by the way. I personally really like The Ultimate Doom, so it's nice to see wads with this kind of tight, minimalistic gameplay.

I also think that if you plan to keep weapons like grenade launcher and railgun, you should probably specify that mouselook is required.

Just want to say thanks for everyone's positive feedback.

It feels like I achieved my initial "design statement" so-to-say, which was "If I can't make it look like Art, at least make it Fun."

Oh, and I found a <!> missing thing on E2M6. Gonna fix that.

8 hours ago, NeptunesTyrant said:

@wintertowns, It seems like Boom is too limiting for what I want to do mapping-wise.

Yeah, when it comes to custom weapons at least. I think the enemies you use and the map design you display here would work in boom.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:57 PM, wintertowns said:

No, that's not what i meant. This wad has it's own mapinfo lump so doom 1 wad is no needed since gzdoom has no problem with map loading. Not sure about prboom since i didn't use this port ussualy.

Nah, it's not Boom-compatible, you need ZDoom/Zandronum to run this. To add stuff and still make it Boom-compatible you need to use a thing called dehacked, a tutorial can be found here. I understand now what you mean with the level names, I just thought it was an unusual setup. My only real confusion was that the -warp command didn't work as usual. Everything else was fine.