Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenz0

NoMonochrome - A Color Themed Episode [Idgames Release!]

Nice screenshots. I'll make a note of giving this a spin.

6 hours ago, Glaice said:

"Monochromatic" or "One Color" would be a better name, no?

Except it's the complete opposite of monochromatic lol

Usually the maps have strong contrast between two colors, like white and blue, or black and red. That's no monochrome.

2 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

Except it's the complete opposite of monochromatic lol

Usually the maps have strong contrast between two colors, like white and blue, or black and red. That's no monochrome.

A good name for it would be Heterochromia :>

3 hours ago, Fuzzball said:

Is there purple? I'm asking because otherwise I'm not interested ;P

There was going to be...but that was before I learned about the limitations of the doom color palette, so I decided to stick to cc4 colors only.

On 9/22/2018 at 2:46 PM, Lorenz0 said:

There was going to be...but that was before I learned about the limitations of the doom color palette, so I decided to stick to cc4 colors only.

But what about the purple in here?

Mayhem Purple uses a different palette that replaces the default Doom greens with purple. You could instead rework Doom's palette to include a functional purple range (instead of replacing another colour) by removing duplicate or near-duplicate colours. This is what BTSX did for its purple range, in addition to slightly modifying some other colours. That being said: you're targeting GZDoom. Doesn't that have true-colour support, even in software rendering at this point? I don't think you'd even need to mess around with the palette if so.

Regardless, the project looks cool, congrats on the release.

Edited by AD_79

Back when I started creating the wad I knew basically nothing about how colors in doom work, and once I heard about how you have to do some palette changing wizardry, I knew nothing about, in order to have other colors in your wad, I decided to stick to cc4 only. That, and because I don't really know where to get purple textures from.

I played this set. It was harsh, but enjoyable experience for me. Some people, who don't know about map genres could even said that this set slaughter set. Anyway, this map place would look better, if you use line horizon thing and let sky shine more:
Screenshot_Doom_20180926_021130.png

Yeah, there are quite a few slaughter-ish encounters, but usually it's not even half as intense as some moments in skillsaw maps, it's just a large monster count.

Using line horizon might actually be a good idea, I'll see how it compares.

But idk what ''let sky shine more'' means.

Btw what settings are you using that this area looks like this to you? For me the gray fog is much denser:

a76IbmD.jpg

"Let sky shine more" means, that you don't block area with high wall and let see full skybox or more than half of it in with some tricks like line horizon or sky ceiling lowering thing. I switched off most of gzdoom things to conserve fps and system resources. It's kind of unaffordable luxury for me to keep them on.

I really liked the map design. It looks very pretty while being simple like a vanilla doom II map. Personally don't enjoy crap ton of revenants that tend to appear.

...Using line horizon really helped, I have no idea why I didn't think of that at the time of making that map .-.

I'm gonna drop another version of the wad soon.

Thanks @Kitty

I like using revenants, because they're actually my favorite doom monster to fight against. But I understand your point.

The download link has been updated with a new version!

I fixed a few visual issues, added a secret in MAP08, and fixed one co-op compatibility issue. Let me know if you find any bugs or things I should improve, before I upload the file to idgames.

The final version is out, and available on idgames :D

A couple of small aesthetic issues got fixed, and one secret was added.

After your request in HAK's "I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps" I thought I might try playing the map while he's away

I quit after about 15 minutes of map 8 on HMP. Sorry, but fuck this. I might have had more patience if there had been fewer archviles and a lot more ammo. Maybe this is fun for somebody else, but it isn't for me. If you want it then I can send you the recording, since I won't be uploading it to youtube, but it's mostly just me dying and cursing.

I think changing the color of the fog would look much better in many places. Doesn't this look better than the gray fog? 

u2PArjP.png

It often looks good to make the fog in a similar color as the sky texture so it blends into eachother better

2 hours ago, meapineapple said:

After your request in HAK's "I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps" I thought I might try playing the map while he's away

I quit after about 15 minutes of map 8 on HMP. Sorry, but fuck this. I might have had more patience if there had been fewer archviles and a lot more ammo. Maybe this is fun for somebody else, but it isn't for me. If you want it then I can send you the recording, since I won't be uploading it to youtube, but it's mostly just me dying and cursing.

Well, I asked for map 8, because it's undoubtedly the hardest one, so I was curious to see how someone would beat it. I don't have that much trouble with it, but I see how it could be a challenge for someone without previous knowledge about the map. But sure, you can send me your recording.

41 minutes ago, Lampenpam said:

I think changing the color of the fog would look much better in many places. Doesn't this look better than the gray fog? 

It often looks good to make the fog in a similar color as the sky texture so it blends into eachother better

You may be right. At the time of creating that level, I didn't think of this. Since the wad is already updated to idgames, I won't be making any changes in it, but I'll keep that in mind for my future projects.