Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MetalDoom1225

What do you love most about Doom?

Hey everyone. I wanted to know what do you all love the most about Doom that made you hooked on it.

Me personally, was the the fast paced metal tracks along with how smooth the game is. I should also include how the Modding community has really made some good maps that make replayability a must. 

Pretty much the same. The immensely fun gameplay combined with a badass soundtrack is the icing on the cake for me.

that people can create their ideas

It is beautiful to see when people fight your beasts (although mine are very difficult hahaha)

-Lost souls and Pain elementals: The best monsters ever

-great mapping utilities

-replayability

-monster infighting

-gibbing zombiemen

List of my gameplay fetishes in random order:
-slaughtermaps

-platforming

-punching cyberdemons to death

-and most recently rocket jumping joined the "pool"

Building maps for Doom is not that hard to get into if you're starting out small and don't set the bar for your first maps too high. There is a seemingly endless supply of maps to play. The modding scene is pretty active as well, and it's not just brutal doom I am talking about here, there is lots of variety to be had for just about anybody. Also doom basically invented deathmatching, and that's one huge feat if there ever was one. This heck-old game has drawn in some of the most creative and passionate personalities I have come to get in contact with. It's hard to find something that isn't good about doom as far as I'm concerned.

The community, still finding stuff and making great things for over 20 years.

- weird progression

- surreal atmosphere 

. Exploration

- rpg music in doom levels

- vanilla tricks

- vanilla doom mapping in general

- levels using only stock textures but with a new sky.

I think we already had this topic but whatever, my answer's the same, that being the fact that the games aged beautifully and their community is still very much alive.

I loved Doom long before I ever knew there was an online community or mapping tools for it. My love for Doom was born out of a period of time in which I was completely incompetent at the game (when I was four of five years old and still didn't know how quicksaves worked). My dad introduced me to the series when I as young, the first game I played was either Plutionia or Evilution, I don't remember which. Both games annihilated me on ITYTD. I got better as I aged, but there were many years where I couldn't get past the third map in either WAD in Final Doom. Making my way to Wormhole for the first time was a pretty major event. My dad eventually found his copies of Doom II and Shareware Doom, though his floppies for The Ultimate Doom didn't work so I didn't actually get to play the original Doom until maybe two years ago when I finally got it on Steam.

"Well of Souls" and "Administration Centre" are two deeply nostalgic maps for me.

The community is one of the best, the map layouts especially map08 in doom2, and also the fact that you can work and develop on your own maps. but what makes doom the best as @elend said its really just the community :D

Doom is at a sweet spot between simple and complex. On top of that it runs on anything.

2 hours ago, Roofi said:

- surreal atmosphere

Yeah, that too.

3 hours ago, elend said:

Its community.

Yeah, this. I don't even play that much anymore but many people are still fun to talk to, especially those who got banned from here.

I'd be hard-pressed to name a single aspect of Doom I love over everything else, because in all honesty, the game is an equally great product in its gameplay and presentation alike. That and the community is awesome for still staying strong and pumping out custom content - regardless of the quality - a quarter of a century later.

6 hours ago, Roofi said:

. Exploration

Looks like i'm not alone in this one lol.

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

-platforming

And this, a nice break from constant shooting and can be fun.

Shooting an Imp in the face with the standard shotgun at short range has such a weighty, meaty feel to it. The implied sense of recoil, the dying grunt that the Imp makes. No other game I ever played was able to reproduce the original Doom shotgun feel. The closest was probably Duke 3D and Mass Effect 2's Scimitar. Fallout 4's Combat Shotgun also has it's merits - but none are able to capture the unique feel of the Doom original. I know most people prefer Doom 2's Super Shotgun, which is definitely a classic in it's own right, but for me at least, it never feels as satisfying to one-shot an enemy with; probably due to the fact that the increased loudness, coupled with the extended reloading animation detract from the kill.

12 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

My love for Doom was born out of a period of time in which I was completely incompetent at the game (when I was four of five years old and still didn't know how quicksaves worked)

I didn't even know there was such a thing back when I first played Doom (and other games I've played back then), on top of not knowing English, therefore even if I knew it had a save function I wouldn't have known how it worked/how it was accessed because I didn't know what "save" meant :v .

On 9/22/2018 at 1:22 AM, Roofi said:

- weird progression

- surreal atmosphere 

. Exploration

- rpg music in doom levels

- vanilla tricks

- vanilla doom mapping in general

- levels using only stock textures but with a new sky.

Yeah I don't see to many people mention the exploration of Doom. Vanilla Doom was always open to explore and was never linear, And if you saw an open place you could go there. Where as nowadays we lost that feeling of exploring and Video Games seems like interactive movies that are really boring. Either way Doom will always be one of my favorite games of all time. :^)