Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Potato's Eternal Gameplay Analysis

Doom Eternal looks sick as fuck. I am pissed as a virgin geek that there's no Snapmap, but sacrifices have to be made for what could be the greatest campaign of the decade.

I decided to overanalyze the fuck out of the gameplay trailer shown in quakecon, to see what can be dugged up from what we have been shown. Some of the things are damn obvious, while others may not be so, and even surprised me. Anyway, here is my analysis of the gamplay footage. Screenshots and images will be added when I get the opportunity.

• Doomslayer is thicc. Like really fucking thicc. Although it seems the armor he’s wearing isn’t modified or improved. It seems more repaired. The blade-mounted left arm has a different armoring fashion and color scheme compared to the green hue the Praedor armor had before. It’s as if the previous armor of the left arm has been ripped off, and someone created new blade-including armor in replacement, but in not the same style. The shoulder-mounted armament seems to bare this resemblance with it. This is probably because of the events of D4’s ending, of when our thicc boi was teleported away to an unknown place. Probably hell or a demon-infested hellhole, where his suit may have been badly damaged.
  • The Super Shotty is not the same one found in D4. Heck, it may not even be from Earth. There’s runic markings on the side barrels and on the grappling hook attachment. The design of it seems more goth-like that western-like of the D4 version. The bandaged hilt, the sharp curve at the butt, and the bluntly rectangular framework makes it seem… hell-like. :P
  • The same can be said for the Rocket Launcher, that is obviously a more hellish design than the UAC counterpart from D4
  • The entire time of watching the trailer, the BFG is strangely absent. Now this shouldn’t be something of note, but I like to point it out anyway. The BFG was revealed pretty early on in D4’s gameplay trailer. Yet in D5/Eternal, it seems to be entirely missing. I wonder if there’s a story-critical reason as to why

Now for some gameplay examination, starting from the Hell on Earth portion.

• The helmet has had its startup visor altered. More hellish symbols, weird runic writing, and a distinct lack of a VEGA logo on it. Where my boi VEGA at? :(
  • From what we see of the HUD’s information, the player is as a mid to end-tier levels of statistics. He has around 7 fuels of Chainsaw, 150HP, and many modifications and weapons ready and loaded. This could be just for the trailer’s sake, but the badassery seen in the gameplay (both in HoE and on the Phobos Base) are of encounters that are probably of the latter half of Doom Eternal. There could be a chance that the air-dash mechanic is a later mobility option not available at the start, just like the double-jumping of D4 was unlocked 5-6 levels later. Take my words with a grain of salt, though. For this could all be just for presentation and not representative of the final product.
  • The Super Shotty has the grappling hook mod. Fucking duh. But it seems to also have another mod behind it too, that is not shown. It wouldn’t make much sense to include a hook icon for the SS if it is the only mod available for it. So there could be another mod for the SS that we may have to experience once the game is release. (Quad-barrel mod? :3)
  • Also the SS uses 1 shotgun shell shot instead of 2. Could be of a stat improvement, like in the last game. (where max-leveling the SS makes it shoot twice, etc)
  • It also seems the shell count for the SS and the Combat Shotty are different. When the combat inspection occurs, pay close attention to the ammo count. It seems to change from 29 to 59 quickly.
  • Doomslayer is the Kool-Aid man. Knocking down walls n shit. Neat new feature, and could possibly be a mechanic used to hide secrets behind walls. Walls you have to punch down that are not obviously telegraphed as in the trailer. So you may need to hump every wall once again to see which one needs thrusting through. Just like the old days…
  • Enemies can also smash through some walls, as we see the Pinky do so in the HoE level.
  • Corpses still disappear. Sorry, guys.
  • The HoE level may take place somewhere in the EU. Why I say that? On the first Mancubus fight (where it is glory-killed), you can see the logo EU Bank behind the flesh-tower. It could be hard to see, but it’s at the top of the screen during that little fight. Can be seen again in the Lava segment.
  • The destroyed store after the first Mancubus encounter says Bailey & Sans/Sons. Any reference majors here?
  • Obviously, there are 2 new enemy types introduced that seem entirely original to D5/Eternal. The flying imps, and the zombie with a gun. Not the possessed soldier, the zombie shambling about with a strapped-on weapon on him.
  • There’s vaulting with pipes. Very yellow pipes. Also yellow flesh columns too are vault-able.
  • Ammo items have had their appearance altered. Rockets have their own singular shells, like the old days. Armor and Health has also been changed, with the nostalgic blue potions and the medikits making a return.
  • Actually, a lot of D5 is paying tribute to the old Doom games (maybe a bit too much, to pandering degrees). Enemy designs like of the prior incarnations, colorful environments, old ammo/pickup appearances, etc.
  • The Combat Shotty has had an obvious redesign, and the mods have been improved. The Grenade Shot now can stick to enemies, and the defunct triple-shot mod has been replaced with the gatling-esque mod that allows full shotty decimation without any need of pumping!
  • The Heavy Assault Rifle has had an obvious redesign, and the Scope mod now has a charge function behind it. A circular reticle seems to be refilling itself after each shot, possibly increasing damage the more it is completed.
  • Hellknights have eyes. What in fuck?
  • Ya got a shoulder-mounted weapon. Did I forget to mention? This seems to replace the grenades you had back in D4, do not interrupt weapon usage, and you can now cycle through them whilst on cooldown. (I think this was already a thing though)
  • The Logo MIXOM and Arrem Star appear, the latter after the first Pinky fight. Again, reference majors?
  • The gameplay trailer seems to have footage spliced together. I just noticed this from when Doomslayer jumps from wall to wall. His armor and HAR ammo count alters. I did not notice it until I gave a careful examination through the trailer. Ammo and HP/Armor changes occur somewhat commonly in the trailer when giving another viewing. Here are all the instances it happens.
    • When the first wall is smashed. There’s 2 less shotty shells
    • When the wall climbing occurs. There’s a gain of HAR bullets, but the armor is reduced from 72 to 27. You take damage from wall-jumping?
    • When thiccboi enters the green portal after getting the Rocket Launcher. This one is really obvious. A noticeably teleporter sound from D4 is used, the Armor count is raised by 10, and he’s instantly holding the HAR instead of the Rocket Launcher.

I don’t know what’s with the video splicing. There’s even a break of the HoE trailer right after getting the Yellow Gore key. Why the changes of footage??? Did the player died a lot during recording footage? Is there things being edited out for reasons unknowned? Are these just bugs? Am I making conspiracies? One of these is true.

• There’s a flamethrower weapon for the shoulder-mounted armament. Seems to make enemies drop armor when they’re set ablazed and attacked. Neat!
  • Aranchontron’s back. In case ya missed it.
  • There’s lives here? Like Extra Lives??? Interesting….
  • The map’s HUD is placeholder. Unless the information of D4’s hud has been entirely removed for clarity sake, the D5 map hud (that only has a Demonic Corruption bar on it) is incomplete. It will probably be vastly improved on final release. It seemed to just appear on the trailer to just show the expansive map design of HoE.
  • There seems to be a runic ball that gives a small passive ability like the runics of D4. The yellow one gained in the trailer allows a strong melee hit after a glory kill.
  • Also the demo is played on PC. You can tell when the runic ball acquisition has a [SPACE] indicator at the bottom.
  • There is a lava waterfall hazard in the 2nd half of the HoE map. Can be seen on the background moving to the left. Seems to be coming out of some hell pod. There’s multiple of these seen throughout.
  • Vorus Technologies. Daerog. IVAN. E8. Reference Majors? :3
  • Here’s something fucked. The 2nd half arena of the HoE map seems to be an amalgamation of flesh and lava slapped together for fuck’s sake, right? NO. That entire fleshy structure is actually a gigantic Gorenest. You can see the opening of hell everytime the player looks up. The giant circular gate showing hell can be seen. Just like the Gorenests!
  • The demonic invasion. Not the thing itself, but just the names of the “invading demons”. D00t76 and Daisy121. Funny.

Alright, now that we’ve seen all of HoE, let’s cut to Phobos.

• BFG 10,000. O.
  • K.
  • HUMAN NPCs. ALIVE, TOO. Will they be a gameplay mechanic, or just for cutscene/non-combative instances?
  • “Magaret/Modred said we should let them through.” Who could this person be?
  • "WARNING. THE SLAYER HAS ENTERED THE FACILITY.” So it seems you’re a threat worthy of his own notification.
  • Demon infighting! Now much more evident!!
  • The Plasma Gun in the trailer has no mods attach on to it, so the enemy electrical explosion that occurs upon kill is a default feature. Here I thought it was a modded feature.
  • There are those footage splicing again. This time at:
    • When the first vent is broken through. Armor and cells go up a few notches.
    • When entering the blue teleporter before reaching the baron. You can even hear the music dying out upon changing areas. 7 Armor is loss, and the plasma gets 150 cells
  • THE BARON OF HELL LOOKS FUCKING AMAZING AGAIN. Sorry, I just love this asshole.
  • The new Ballista. Seems to replace the Gauss Cannon in terms of functionality, and it has a mod that charges a bolt that then detonates onto the target. Neat toy, but I sorta miss the Gauss cannon…
  • Fighting while the BFG 10,000 has its green aura illuminate the stage. Nice touch!
  • The weapon wheel seems to be missing the Pistol, BFG, and Chainsaw icon. They could be just available on a different command. It also seems that all the guns have different ammo count, in particularly the Shotguns and Gauss/Plasma Rifle. They have the same ammo type, but seem to have different ammo count in between them.
  • Archvile.
  • And the Crucible sword is in the Slayer’s possession! Looks different this time around (more technological than gore-like from D4)

This was all I was able to find during the trailer. There was probably other small details and obvious confirmations i left out. But from what we've been shown, not everything has been fully revealed. The BFG's whereabouts, VEGA's abscence, odd footage splicing, and many many names and callouts show that there's much more to the game waiting.

If only we had a release date.

(some months later...)

AND NEW FOOTAGE HAS BEEN PROVIDED BY REAL-LIFE'S VERSION OF THE UAC!

It's not the best quality, but it'll have to do until a better take is provided. Even from just the 2 minutes we seen of this new stuff, there's a lot to unpackage! Will be providing timestamps of things that I spot as I describe them.

• [0:00] UA 46.2 on the pipes. Is that some cryptic message of a release date? A Psalm? Who knows.
  • Seems the upgrade point system makes a return once more, since their associated tokens are at the top right. Compass is back, too (although I had it turned off on my playthrough)
  • Again, from the statistics we see of thicc boi, this seems to be either a half-way or latter part of the game. The Dash mechanic is loaded, a lot of the weapons had 1-2 mods already attached, and the Slayer's HP is at 150. Although as said last time, this could be just to demonstrate the badassery of the raging mad lad, and not indicative of the final product's actual progress. Hell, this could be one of the first levels for all we know!
  • There was an obvious wall-break secret on top of the opening.
  • [0:03] There seems to be a sort of electronic piston thing that seems to cause harm whenever it emits shockwaves. Several more of these things will appear later in the footage.
  • [0:05] The Micro-Missile Launcher is back! And looking as awesome to use as ever!
  • On that note, their target was a Zombie Earth. Whut? Either that, or the Codex Entry was just added the moment the zombie was killed. Was it suppose to say Earthling? Or is the thing at the background the Zombie Earth? If so, why Zombie Earth? Does that mean the entire planet is... zombified? If so.... That's a grim end to the world as we knew it. (tis speculations...)
  • Oh, forgot to mention this. The hud shown here compared to Quake Con's initial trailer has been altered. Now it seems more complete. Much more information is provided, and the HUD looks much more sleek! There's even button prompts to tell your XBOX controller on what does what! To add more into the speculation pot, the Dash hud is convientienly placed leftward of a hud slot. It's as if there's room for one more suit upgrade...
  • [0:11] OH SHIT ITS THE PROWLER. Sure it died in like 0.6 seconds, but it's now an official campaign enemy!! Even the Codex confirms its him! How the hell will this faggot play in campaign?
  • [0:12] Floating explosive barrels. Oh my.
  • The Rocket Launcher's detonation mod is back. Even the RL has been altered in appereance to suit the modification.
  • [0:17] Jeez, this level looks spacious as fuck. So much you can move around it! Or will there be invisible walls? :kappa:
  • [0:20] Combat encountered complete! Or so says the upgrade point hud.
  • [0:24] This is probably the biggest surprise to me in this entire footage.
  • Doomslayer grunts.
  • Like he's hurt.
  • HE HAS A VOICE.
  • This sounds amazingly retarded to point out, but I sorely missed the grunts, oofs, and urghs the Doom Marine exhorted back in the original games. And it always felt off that when you're getting butchered, pummeled, and blasted by all of Hell, you barely utter an ouch. NOW though, the Doomslayer is FEELING IT.
  • [0:29] Codex found of Imp. No shit.
  • [0:38] Seems that to climb a wall, it'll take a button prompt. Could be beneficial in instances that you do not wish to wall climb. Example, could be while you're in hectic combat, and you're forced to said wall. Don't want to auto-climb walls while a Mancubus is rolling out.
  • [0:45] Nice jump for that 1-UP! And Jump Pads make a return once more, now very blue!
  • [0:52] There even seems to be some platforming puzzling to do! Neat!
  • [0:59] Whoever is playing this is not that good at it. He's not even attempting to avoid the electro waves. Must be a UAC employee.
  • [1:04] Codex found of Cacodemon, and now it's more of a cunt than ever, with now it being able to shoot a volley of energy strikes. Well shit.
  • [1:09] Another platform puzzle! Now with Dash... Spheres? They seem to replenish your dashes. Interesting...
  • [1:16] Seems those measly zombie shamblers got a set of flamethrower on them. That can hurt.
  • [1:21] The telegraphing of a Glory Kill is a lot more evident. Like distractingly evident. So much neon blue flashing.
  • Also the winged imp now has a name. Gargoyle.
  • [1:23] Well fuck me sideways, the Shielded Shotgunners are back. Now with a very blue square for a shield. Still gets one-shot by a Rocket. HA!
  • Good ol' Arachnotron is there again! And damn, his charged plasma shot does like 30 dmg. And that was one out of 3 shots, i think.
  • Regular rapid shots of the Arachno [1:32] do much less damage, but is still tearing our mad lad apart. He's gonna die!
  • [1:39] And the extra life kicks in! Seems to give the player all his health back, but that's about it. No armor replenish or weapon restock. Not bad.
  • [1:41] Codex found of Solder... Blaster? Is that what it says?
  • [1:44] And a new enemy! What the hell is this?
  • Seems to shoot a sort of ringed-projectile blast, and spots 3-4 robotic legs to support its grotesque blubber. And before it died, it was getting an electric... whip? Could have been a weapon akin to the lightning gun, but it died too fast to make sense of what it was going to do.
  • And the codex entry says.... something. It's too blurred to make of it, but I think the name starts with "O". Or "C"? Orbiter? Chernagog? Very hard to make out.
  • [1:58] All demons are killed, so the checkpoint is marked, and the gate is opened. Wonder what awaits.
  • [2:02] Laser beams! More hazards!! Fun!
  • [2:05] And like a demented party crasher, the Pain Elemental arrives!
  • [2:11] And comes the end of this trailer. The menu shown obviously dictates that this was a gameplay test, with Dev Checkpoint and Dev GUI present as options. Although what is Milestones? That seems new. Is it a sort of achievement system?
  • Yeah, I hear ya disgrunted guy. We all wanted more.

And that's all folks! Not a whole lot, but we got some confirmation of the Prowler making a return, along with new enemies like the Gargoyle and C******. Maybe there could be twice the demons to fight. Here i was feeling disgrunted about that statement, but it's slowly seeming to be a possibility! I wonder if a release date was teased somewhere...

Edited by Potatoguy : Stadia footage!

2 hours ago, Potatoguy said:

Also the SS uses 1 shotgun shell shot instead of 2. Could be of a stat improvement, like in the last game. (where max-leveling the SS makes it shoot twice, etc)

It also seems the shell count for the SS and the Combat Shotty are different. When the combat inspection occurs, pay close attention to the ammo count. It seems to change from 29 to 59 quickly. 

I thought that's divided number of shots for people, incapable of quick math.

4 hours ago, Potatoguy said:

• And the Crucible sword is in the Slayer’s possession! Looks different this time around (more technological than gore-like from D4)

Id already confirmed the sword shown is a crucible, not the crucible. 

Beside that: nice summary, thanks man! 

5 hours ago, Potatoguy said:

“Magaret/Modred said we should let them through.” Who could this person be?

While it’s something up for debate (many people are agreeing that it’s “Corporate says we should let them through.”

Other than that, very solid writeup so far!

On 9/22/2018 at 10:18 PM, Man of Doom said:

While it’s something up for debate (many people are agreeing that it’s “Corporate says we should let them through.”

I've seen plenty of interviews where this cutscene is discussed, and Hugo says 'Corporate'

Also, the weapons missing from the wheel are the Pistol and Chaingun. The Chainsaw and BFG never were on the wheel.

22 hours ago, Novaseer said:

I've seen plenty of interviews where this cutscene is discussed, and Hugo says 'Corporate'

So not a reference to a character from Arthurian legend like I first thought it was. Shame.

Kinda strange seeing the zombie civilians and zombie soldiers duking it out like two rival gangs.

Edited by ATP2555

I loved everything about the reveal, now after all this time. My only wanted fix would be to BOOST the bass up on the plasma rifle. Or go with the original sound slightly modded. It just sounds like it can literally sound way better. Other than that loved everything they had to offer, hopefully we hear more news soon!

7 hours ago, ArchangelOfHell said:

I loved everything about the reveal, now after all this time. My only wanted fix would be to BOOST the bass up on the plasma rifle. Or go with the original sound slightly modded. It just sounds like it can literally sound way better. Other than that loved everything they had to offer, hopefully we hear more news soon!

They probably will do that.

Rebumped this post with added analysis of the Stadia trailer! Can be found at the first post! Some good shit!!

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, Potatoguy said:

• [1:44] And a new enemy! What the hell is this?
  • Seems to shoot a sort of ringed-projectile blast, and spots 3-4 robotic legs to support its grotesque blubber. And before it died, it was getting an electric... whip? Could have been a weapon akin to the lightning gun, but it died too fast to make sense of what it was going to do.
  • And the codex entry says.... something. It's too blurred to make of it, but I think the name starts with "O". Or "C"? Orbiter? Chernagog? Very hard to make out.

Edited by bj25x

"On that note, their target was a Zombie Earth. Whut? Either that, or the Codex Entry was just added the moment the zombie was killed. Was it suppose to say Earthling? Or is the thing at the background the Zombie Earth? If so, why Zombie Earth? Does that mean the entire planet is... zombified? If so.... That's a grim end to the world as we knew it. (tis speculations...)"

My guess is that it is the Earth variation of Zombies.  That might mean we get the Normal UAC zombies from Doom 2019 and/or Unwilling Hell Zombies.

Another thing to note is that the ammo counts again change while climbing on walls. This makes it seem less like simple video splicing and more of a bug, unless that's intentional, which would be a really stupid thing to do.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

Another thing to note is that the ammo counts again change while climbing on walls. This makes it seem less like simple video splicing and more of a bug, unless that's intentional, which would be a really stupid thing to do.

It's probably just a problem that will be ironed out.