Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KamiSeph

I need some help with GZDoom

If mapset was intended play with hardware mode, you should stick to that. Does it use skybox or any other gzdoom hardware trick?

To get rid of the blurry textures, just turn off "texture filtering" in the options. I've never understood why it's on by default. 

Also, skyboxes are a hardware only feature AFAIK

Yeah there's a lot you can play with. Happy to help out, welcome to the community!

GZDoom is a terrifying monstrosity of settings that aren't named well, and there's no manual.

Devs really need to get their shit together.

12 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

GZDoom is a terrifying monstrosity of settings that aren't named well, and there's no manual.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

13 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

Devs really need to get their shit together.

No, that wouldn't help.

The main problem with interfaces is that someone who knows how the engine internals work is not going to think in the same way as someone who doesn't. So if you want an interface that the users can understand well, it has to be written by the users. That's where focus groups enter the picture when you're a big company with a lot of money to spend on QOL stuff, but it's completely out of reach of hobby projects like GZDoom or any other port.

I have.

But I was driven away from GZDoom in my early days of using source ports because of the ugly ass defaults, which I didn't think I could change for over a year.

Texture filtering options under OpenGL options, set it to None, None (Linear) or None (Nearest), if that's what you're looking for? I use one of the latter two.

Personally, I rather have a monstrous settings menu than a few options controlling everything, kinda like how some devs pack bloom, depth of field, motion blur, etc into a single "post processing" option. Maybe there could be a balance, but it would be tricky get right.

On 9/23/2018 at 4:57 PM, StevenC21 said:

Oh, you misunderstand @Glaice. I know how to change it now, and I made GZDoom look good.

The thing was, I didn't know that I could do that originally.

That is not the fault of the GZDoom devs. You have to dip your feet once in a while.

I didn't realize "dipping my feet in" involved extensive messing with a multitude of effects that all seem to do nothing unless they are all on together at specific values.

It's funny, I hear people complain about the GZDoom settings, but they all make logical sense to me. Each option is in the sub menu you'd expect. But PRBoom+? It's a nightmare! Just endless pages you have to scroll through with no sub menus or anything.  I actively avoid trying to change any settings in PRBoom+ because I get lost in the options so much.

@Bauul what I mean is that as a noob I had no idea what any settings meant. So I couldn't effectively use them. Now I know what a good chunk of them do, and I can now get GZDoom to look how I want it to.

@StevenC21 You are completely understandable. Most of the options in GZDoom are rather a mystery to non-experts, and everybody starts out as a non-expert.

@Gez is also correct about the feasibility of making simple menus for mere mortals versus the developers, but it's a general problem with a lot of software, that loves to throw every possible decision at the user in a configuration window. Both GZDoom and PrBoom-Plus suffer from it. even Microsoft Word suffers with its hundreds-of-checkboxes tucked in the options window. What do most of them do? Sometimes even the developers don't know anymore.

I don't think a simple hobbyist project is necessarily excluded from thinking about the problem seriously. In the Chocolate and Crispy Doom projects, there is continual consideration about not overloading a player with needless configuration options, sometimes we fail at the job, but we do try our hardest. Options have come and gone in both the setup tool and the configuration file -- the later is especially intended for special expert options, such as integer_scaling. It is not something most people ever care about, so it's not exposed in setup. We've had to reject some configuration feature requests, even for config-file only, simply because they were way far out in the weeds.