Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DECASTLE is a single 10-15 minute map set in a castle full of demons. Exterminate demons everywhere from the courtyard to the sewers.

The map is UDMF format. Tested with Zandronum. It uses textures from my previous deusdoom project. (And although I encourage you to check out duesdoom out, you do not need to download it separately for the texture resources.) Please note that the map is not designed for jumping/crouching.

DECASTLE is my first (finished and released) map since like 2015. I hope you enjoy it! As always, watching people play my maps gives me loads of joy so please consider recording a demo or a video and posting it when you've finished the map.

Download the latest version:

DECASTLE.03.10.18.zip / https://pineapplemachine.com/files/doomwads/DECASTLE.03.10.18.zip

Download an older version:

DECASTLE.23.09.18.zip / https://pineapplemachine.com/files/doomwads/DECASTLE.23.09.18.zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom%20decastle%20screenshot%201.png?raw

doom%20decastle%20screenshot%202.png?raw

doom%20decastle%20screenshot%203.png?raw

doom%20decastle%20screenshot%204.png?raw

Edited by meapineapple : rehost images

So let me say few words. I like your layout is nicely done and the theme and texture usage was nice aswell. It help to set the right mood, which was very medieval to me and i like it. Next thing is that your map need better lighting, even on dark light mode your map was quite bright. Remember one thing that everyone in doom community using, Indoors are mostly allways darker than outdoors. Play with this and try to make some nice dark/bright contrast to your map, it will help to set the mood even better. This is only my feeling but i feel like some places missing bit more of detailing. For example, simple red torch placed to corners will do more than you can think. The worst part of this map is medkit/ammo balance which is very bad. For example on place where you fight two chaingunners and arch-vile need medkit or at least two stimpack but there is nothing, many places is missing them and map is unpleasantly hard because of this. Other than that i really enjoy your map.

Here is my firstplaythrough:

@Marlamir thank you for playing! The map was made somewhat harder by your missing a key ammo stash near the beginning of the map... And why do you keep saving mid-encounter, right after hitting single-digit health??

You're definitely right about the lighting being lacking. I only recently realized that the settings for the port I tested with was doing funny things to sector lighting. I will probably make a small update addressing your criticism.

44 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

The map was made somewhat harder by your missing a key ammo stash near the beginning of the map...

Where exactly?

44 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

And why do you keep saving mid-encounter, right after hitting single-digit health??

That's my bad habit, spamming the save button no matter whats :) Try to ignore it.

@Marlamir You're looking at a room with some imps at 1:23, but apparently I did a poor job at making it clear that you were able to enter that room. (The entrance doesn't stand out very well from the surrounding wall, now that I pay more attention to it.) The room contains some shotgun ammo pickups that would have made your encounter with the Demons and Chaingunners much less frustrating - The ones you're fighting around 9:10; the same encounter that ultimately led to needing to resurrect and to punch a Chaingunner to death, which from watching the recording seemed like it was the most frustrating part of the map for you.

Ohhh, now i see it. Thank you for noticing about this. This would help for sure if i didn't missed.

14 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

seemed like it was the most frustrating part of the map for you.

Ohh yeah it was