Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alkali

Composers Play - "Doom" - Coop with Bobby Prince

Went straight for the Schilder video, as I had no idea that existed.  Thanks for setting these up.

Wow, that's a really big thing! Thank you for that. By the way, I'm glad he has already recovered. He's not just a good composer, but he is really interesting person (he could write a book about his life) and of course a nice guy.

Thank you a whole bunch for doing these! Video game music and their composers always need love.

I watched your videos with Kevin Schilder and Alexander Brandon a couple months ago and with this new one, this is shaping up into a fantastic series. You've started with some massive names, so I seriously look forward to the next part of this interview and more beyond it.

This is really cool! I wonder if Sonic Mayhem would be up for one of these? I never tried Quake 2 co-op or even know if it exists.

Thanks all for the kind words! I'm glad you're all enjoying my series, there's a lot more to come with some great insights and funny moments from Bobby himself! If you have any requests for composers to do please feel free to pm me or throw your suggestions down here.

15 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

This is really cool! I wonder if Sonic Mayhem would be up for one of these? I never tried Quake 2 co-op or even know if it exists.

Funny that you mention Sonic Mayhem, as he agreed to do one earlier this year! I need to get back to him and set a date.

22 minutes ago, Alkali said:

Thanks all for the kind words! I'm glad you're all enjoying my series, there's a lot more to come with some great insights and funny moments from Bobby himself! If you have any requests for composers to do please feel free to pm me or throw your suggestions down here.

I'd suggest Lee Jackson of Apogee/3D Realms fame. 

Nice, was great to hear Prince talk about the good ol days. I really hope to hear Sonic Mayhem soon and hopefully Lee Jackson at some point.

I was checking out the whole series of your videos. Very well done, even though most of the time you are not even playing. xD It actually doesn't really matter, the important bits are the composers' insights of course. So maybe next time no co-op and just you playing around, whilst the composer talks about anecdotes, etc.

Overall very well done and it's nice to hear the composers talk, since they are rarely interviewed about their work on games, I have the feeling.

17 hours ago, Reiken said:

I'd suggest Lee Jackson of Apogee/3D Realms fame. 

I tried getting Lee a few months ago, and I can confirm as of from today he will be next on Composers Play! I am playing Duke3D!

12 hours ago, elend said:

I was checking out the whole series of your videos. Very well done, even though most of the time you are not even playing. xD It actually doesn't really matter, the important bits are the composers' insights of course. So maybe next time no co-op and just you playing around, whilst the composer talks about anecdotes, etc.

Overall very well done and it's nice to hear the composers talk, since they are rarely interviewed about their work on games, I have the feeling.

Thank you! The only coop ones are with Kevin and Bobby, the rest are me playing in single player :) I agree on certain points, it is a bit of a distraction! (its also super difficult), but actually it really adds an element of unknown when playing the game with the composer that makes for more entertaining watching. Also from what I noticed as well it seems to jog the memory of the person playing so I get a little bit more from the composer. I appreciate the feedback as its still in its early days.

Will you be covering ROTT, as well (within the Duke interview, if necessary)? It has such great work in it--always thought Havana Smooth could be amazing live.

Edit: 3:31 of Part 2 was priceless.

Edited by Reiken : avoiding double-posting over trivialty

1 hour ago, Reiken said:

Will you be covering ROTT, as well (within the Duke interview, if necessary)? It has such great work in it--always thought Havana Smooth could be amazing live.

Edit: 3:31 of Part 2 was priceless.

Haha yeah, we had some laughs playing it. Yes, I can confirm Ill be playing some Rott (Havana Smooth will be discussed in great detail too!, its my favorite) 

Wow! These videos look great! I'm definitely going to have to watch these. I really haven't played Heretic much besides a little bit of the shareware so that one will be quite interesting for me. 

But i'm totally psyched to finally get to see Bobby Prince actually play Doom (not to mention hear him discuss the compositions and sounds with you).

On 10/5/2018 at 8:40 AM, Alkali said:

Part 3 is online! Is you have any questions you want me to Ask Lee Jackson for the Duke3d Composers Play, let me know.

Cheers,

Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQpwxWjZmp0&feature=youtu.be

Good stuff.  I'll spitball some questions/ideas below  (Hope I'm not too late):

* Any words on the inclusion of the more somber (yet beautiful--not entirely depressive) pieces like Mist Ache and Taskforce in ROTT?  I imagine this may have lead to interesting discussion during development about appropriate music for an FPS, but I think they may well have left a lasting impression on many who played and liked ROTT to any degree. (I think they're amazing and create memorable sensations in-game.)

* .. (Might add more later if I can think of some, just want to get these down.)

* Not music related, but was he present to watch the evolution of the Build engine, and does he remember his impressions, if any from the early Duke 3D demos, or even other Build games?

By the way, the Schilder interview was really great-- I think it's been my favorite so far.

Edit: You may already know, but there's an error in the editing of the Tyrian interview.  I forgot when it is, but I think it's after you ask about the composer's favorite piece from the game--after a few minutes or so it suddenly cuts and repeats the question, and then proceeds as normal to the end.

Edited by Reiken

On 10/7/2018 at 3:26 AM, Reiken said:

Good stuff.  I'll spitball some questions/ideas below  (Hope I'm not too late):

* Any words on the inclusion of the more somber (yet beautiful--not entirely depressive) pieces like Mist Ache and Taskforce in ROTT?  I imagine this may have lead to interesting discussion during development about appropriate music for an FPS, but I think they may well have left a lasting impression on many who played and liked ROTT to any degree. (I think they're amazing and create memorable sensations in-game.)

* .. (Might add more later if I can think of some, just want to get these down.)

* Not music related, but was he present to watch the evolution of the Build engine, and does he remember his impressions, if any from the early Duke 3D demos, or even other Build games?

By the way, the Schilder interview was really great-- I think it's been my favorite so far.

Edit: You may already know, but there's an error in the editing of the Tyrian interview.  I forgot when it is, but I think it's after you ask about the composer's favorite piece from the game--after a few minutes or so it suddenly cuts and repeats the question, and then proceeds as normal to the end.

Thanks, great suggestions. I will be listening to the Rott soundtrack over the weekend to get more ideas. I think there is already a video on the build engine on YouTube, and its really good! (Includes early versions of Duke)

I will also have a look at the Tyrian episode, I might have made a mistake in the editing.

Also... its Friday so here is another Doom episode.

Hi all,

Sorry to be bumping this thread but the whole series of "Composers Play - Doom" is now available on my YouTube page. Duke3D and ROTT will be next so if you want to follow me on YouTube or Facebook, as I wont be posting that series on this forum. I also hope to do an Apogee series with Bobby soon so keep and eye out for that one!

Thanks, and please feel free to share.

Scott