Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

What are your favourite 'Hidden Gems' Games?

DEFINITELY the Men of War series. I simply don't know how this isn't more popular. This should be up there with the big ones! It's like Battlefield but in RTS mode. It is chock full of content and has a great modding community too. I also really like its no-nonsense and realistic feel it has.

Can't say if it's a true gem, but one of my favorite point-and-click game ever. Scratches: Director's Cut is awesome also in same genre.

6 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

will be worth saying flash games :v?

Isn't Super Meat Boy made in Flash? I remember right clicking and seeing the flash drop down appear before it was fixed. I think the original Binding of Issac is too. Not that they're hidden gems. So there are good Flash games, albeit a few.

Here's a Flash hidden gem...

Abobo's Big Adventure

Is the Deadly Rooms of Death series hidden? They are the best puzzle games I have ever seen in my entire life. The mechanics are so simple, yet can get so complex. It's also like Doom, it's being kept alive by the modding scene. 

ss_4d2884a71ba63e1d9772457bc59159c23a6c3f9b.1920x1080.jpg

4 hours ago, geo said:

So there are good Flash games, albeit a few.

Pretty much everything in the Newgrounds's "High ranking classics" and "Best of the year" are worth playing. The art games there are cool and thought-provoking too (Stuff like this one).

They are all very simple compared to Console/downloaded games, but that doesn't make their impact any less great. Plus they usually don't take long to finish, probably taking a few afternoons at best.

Yes @Gaia74, you can name all you like :D

Manhunt 2, this game became sort of a unheard of recently, it's like a Brutal version of GTA San Andreas (except no cars or huge level) and focuses more on Stealth, I have a bootleg DVD of this game which only includes a pirated version of it lol, this thread reminded me of it, worth checking out.

5 hours ago, geo said:

Isn't Super Meat Boy made in Flash? I remember right clicking and seeing the flash drop down appear before it was fixed. I think the original Binding of Issac is too. Not that they're hidden gems. So there are good Flash games, albeit a few.

Here's a Flash hidden gem...

Abobo's Big Adventure

17 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Pretty much everything in the Newgrounds's "High ranking classics" and "Best of the year" are worth playing. The art games there are cool and thought-provoking too (Stuff like this one).

They are all very simple compared to Console/downloaded games, but that doesn't make their impact any less great. Plus they usually don't take long to finish, probably taking a few afternoons at best.

Yes @Gaia74, you can name all you like :D

well i gonna say some games, i love it

armor mayhem (that's where my avatar comes from)

xenos 

The last shelter (it cost me in its time)

Intrusion 1 and 2 (something difficult but interesting especially the 2)

and age of war 1 and 2

On 9/28/2018 at 3:33 AM, GuyMcBrofist said:

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Spies vs Mercs

I was juuust thinking about this one now, the last great Splinter Cell IMHO, Blacklist Multiplayer is just as good though but sadly both Multiplayers died.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:58 PM, Ex Oblivione said:

That Chasm game looks fun!

On 9/28/2018 at 10:56 AM, tempdecal.wad said:

Manhunt 2, this game became sort of a unheard of recently, it's like a Brutal version of GTA San Andreas (except no cars or huge level) and focuses more on Stealth, I have a bootleg DVD of this game which only includes a pirated version of it lol, this thread reminded me of it, worth checking out.

I believe I am lucky enough to have Manhunt 2 in my collection somewhere!

I played the absolute crap out of this as a kid. It's honestly pretty fun, though that might just be my nostalgia talking.

On 9/30/2018 at 6:17 AM, tempdecal.wad said:

I was juuust thinking about this one now, the last great Splinter Cell IMHO, Blacklist Multiplayer is just as good though but sadly both Multiplayers died.

An HD remaster of CT versus is all I want, just for the game to have another breath of life.

Been thinking about picking this one up lately:

Super 3D Noah’s Ark. The pc version especially. It’s seemed to gain a cult classic status now, but it seemed like it was easy to hate on all because it was a Christian game using the Wolf3d engine, when today it’s nothing more than just a wolfenstein 3D mod.

Strife. This one deserved way more attention then what it got back in the day. For a rogue like game using the Doom engine, it’s pretty impressive. Why this never caught on back in the day is beyond me.

Sparkster on the snes. While I don’t think it’s exactly hidden, this seems to be a pretty good game that not many people talk about.

Does Sonic Robo Blast 2 count since it’s a fan game?

The whole Shadow Hearts series. Clever battle system (and occasional in-game events) revolving around a mechanic called "Judgment Ring" which requires you to time button presses in order to actually properly attack (like Legend of Dragoon, but a lot less crappy), or for things like events, could require you to keep the ticker in a certain wedge once time ran out, for example. Items could (for example) speed the ring sweep's up to make you more powerful (at the risk of missing a wedge, thus ending your attack prematurely), or get even more powerful but make the wedges invisible, forcing you to rely on memory of where the regions to hit were - and every character's wedge placement differed. Notable for having a "Sanity Point" system that introduced a bit of Lovecraftian-style horror to the game, a feature kept throughout the series. Characters who lost all their Sanity, naturally, went insane and began acting randomly. Also notable that in some cases, the game includes major historical figures - Roger Bacon is a major character of the series, and one of the playable characters in the second game is Princess Anastasia of Russia (and naturally, Rasputin is also a villain).

The first game opened with a pretty memorable (if pretty poorly dubbed and lip-synced - remember, we're talking early 2000s here, kids) intro that let you know pretty much immediately this wasn't gonna be your typical Final Fantasy clone. Unfortunately for it, Final Fantasy X came out like a week later and completely overshadowed it.

Also had a good ending that required you to take a fairly lengthy and pretty carefully hidden series of quests in order to unlock it and prevent a certain character's demise.

The second game had some major refinements to the battle system, namely allowing for combo attacks, as well as showing that different actions could completely change the turn order for both you and your enemies.

The third took the "lighter and fluffier" route. It's still a bit dark, but T for Teen so you don't get any of the pretty grim and nasty violence of the first two - or at least, not as much.

More refinements to the battle system, mainly via the "Stock" system, which allows you to do stuff like Double Attacks in one turn or start a Combo, or even do a Double Combo.

They're not perfect games (especially the first), but I became a big fan of them, and I would definitely consider all three hidden gems. It's times like this I wish PS2 was actually able to be emulated well on handheld-class hardware, as I'd love to revisit these games on the go. Had so much fun with them.

Edited by Dark Pulse