Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

What are your favourite 'Hidden Gems' Games?

Post some of your favourite 'hidden gems' that you know of!

Mad World barely qualifies as a hidden gem at this point but it's still in my opinion one of the best Wii games of all time that everyone must play, goddamnt!

384983139_owh.png.0dd6b9ce51d7266f0b3d23d13e554fe5.png

My favorite rogue lite and one of the few games I got all the achievements, a real gem this game with such good musics.

Childhood game, still playing today, aged wonderfully. Too bad the reboot is nowhere near as the original is.

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue

825199363_Ty2BushRescue.jpg.312bb2158eb75995898def20a02eebe6.jpg

This is one of the first games I played on the PS2 and is an all time favourite of mine. It's aged magically, and even has a rather recent remaster on Steam. This game came from a time when it was still entirely possible for EA to publish a game that's not only good, but downright excellent.

1482854619_Ty2Bunyip.jpg.0645481d29c8eebe868cce9f2b3ad6c8.jpg234238276_Ty2Uberfrill.jpg.15b282f2f140237cd0d8e4d7e232e3c6.jpg1827278549_Ty2BossCass.jpg.78b7e6cccc2df14c959e5f542f5294cc.jpg

I don't know, maybe Pharaoh? 

Until this year, I've never heard of the one man company  Spiderweb Software. Also for most of this year, I've only been playing his games. Old school feeling RPGS with so much to them. You better like reading and not mind minimal graphics. Also there's some fighting with the UI. I'm pretty sure all his games go the shareware route, if you ever want to try any of the games out.

would you consider something like Hexen a hidden gem? I feel like not many people these days would have played it and I have no idea how popular it was back in the day.

Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu.

jade-cocoon.jpg

An absolutely brilliant PS1 era RPG game which takes the classic turn based combat and puts an interesting spin on it - I'd call it "Pokemon for adults", or something more to that effect. The story line is good, but not intrusive with hour long cutscenes as per other RPG's of the time.

It's main selling point is the ability to catch, battle, sell, and MERGE wild creatures. That's right, merging. Take two different beasts, and combine them into a single one with traits of both. Example, take a dog-like creature with armour plating and a huge horn, and merge it with a flying creature to create a horned, armoured flying beast! You can combine anything to create your very own creatures. :)

My other 'gem' is another PS1 RPG, which was also released on PS1. Googling for the below artwork made me find out that a rematser is coming to the Switch & Steam. This is news that has me VERY EXCITED!

61RWKK0HVPL._SX342_.jpg

I would write more but I just noticed how late it is. If I remember, I'll edit this post tomorrow, but honestly, if you want a long, good quality RPG with a captivating storyline, go grab this! Also this has one of the most memorable OSTs of any game I've ever played. :)

I'll go with two games.

God Hand

Hands down the best combat system to ever grace a video game (yes, even better than DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Nioh, SoulsBorne, etc.). It has unique controls, an unrivaled dodging system, a fully customizable move-set (with over 100 moves to choose from), relentless and ruthless enemies and bosses, and a wacky comedic tone. Tying all of it up is the best dynamic difficulty system in a game, where you are constantly incentivized to get better since the game becomes harder and more rewarding.

It's genuinely impressive how many things Clover Studios (the ones who made Viewtiful Joe and Okami and eventually became Platinum Games) got right with this game. All of the core ideas behind Platinum Games' Beat 'em Ups (Madworld, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) were first implemented here.

DESYNC

The easiest way to describe this game is "Devil May Cry meets Quake". It's essentially an FPS where you are incentivized to kill things as stylishly as possible. The trademarked Arena Shooter gun roster can now be used in incredibly versatile ways. For instance, the shotgun can also shoot a spinning blade that allows you to trap charging enemies, and the machine gun can shoot a slow moving trap bomb that detonates on impact (or when you shoot it again). It has extremely aggressive enemies with great movesets and good properties to play around with.

It has a killer soundtrack and aesthetic too!

Nice thread

SHATTERHAND

maxresdefault.jpg.8f9a2ad2683da7272ed83b4b3264de6b.jpg

It's like megaman, but you punch things instead. Nuff said.

Prinny: Can I Really Be A Hero

1313878849_maxresdefault(1).jpg.44462a70de98d922a2956f7cc02cf17a.jpg

Pretty hardcore platformer that is effectivelly playing with your nerves like a fiddle. Sometimes its just straight up unfair, and when it isn't, its damn challenging. 

Used to play this a lot back in the day on arcade machines, most people seem to have forgotten about it, the music is good (esp the Sewer level) and the controls are not bad and the boss battles don't overstay their welcome.

Disclaimer: I love video games. A lot. Long list ahead.

Also if you love this sort of thing, I can recommend to anyone http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/

1. A lot of Neo-Geo stuff. Seriously, SNK alone has so many good fucking arcade classics.

2. A lot of Capcom beat 'em ups. 

3. Onimusha.

4. Dino Crisis 1 & 2.

5. Alone in the Dark; as in the original 90's trilogy.

6. Earthworm Jim 1 & 2.

7. Ristar.

8. Gunstar Heroes.

9. Eradicator.

10. Chasm: The Rift.

11. Powerslave (Non-PC versions)

12. Blood.

13. GoNNER.

14. Unreal.

15. Metal Fatigue.

16. Tyrian. <-- This is freeware. PLAY IT if you like vertical shooters!

Spoiler

17. Realms of the Haunting (AWFUL ending aside)

Spoiler

18. Revenant.

Spoiler

19. Requiem: Avenging Angel.

20. Sacrifice.

21. Shadow Man.

22. Nightmare Creatures.

23. Baldies.

Spoiler

24. Normality.

25. Necrodome.

26. Take No Prisoners.

27. SiN.

28. Slave Zero.

29. Urban Chaos.

30. Siren.

31. Deep Fear.

32. Cold Fear.

33. Battle Realms.

34. MageSlayer.

35. Cyclones.

36. Neverhood.

37. Evil Genius.

That's off the top of my head at this moment.

It's always fun to read hidden gems to see those that aren't hidden at all. Some say they may have been popular and sold a million copies, but they dropped off in popularity after X number of years, thus making them hidden gems.

Time to go digging.

NES

Shatter Hand
Rockin' Cats

PC

Super Cyborg

MagiCat

PacMan 256
Death Skid Marks

MiniDOOM2 (if we were in any other forum)

Ittle Dew

Guacamelee

Q-Yo Blaster

PewDiePie: Legend of the Brofist

Party Hard

Fingered

Fractal (Make Blooms, not war)

Toybox Turbos

F1 Race Stars

The Shantae games

Endless Dungeon (multiplayer)

Sid Meier's Starships

While most people's favorite NES game of all time is usually Super Mario Bros 3 or Legend of Zelda, my personal favorite NES game of all time is The Guardian Legend which apparently not many people know about.  It's such a good game and I wish more people would give it a shot.  Pretty tough game at times and it's kinda long. 

27 minutes ago, Maser said:

While most people's favorite NES game of all time is usually Super Mario Bros 3 or Legend of Zelda, my personal favorite NES game of all time is The Guardian Legend which apparently not many people know about.  It's such a good game and I wish more people would give it a shot.  Pretty tough game at times and it's kinda long. 

Guardian Legend was enjoyable. Then again it's been like 30 years since I went through it.

According to Google... here are the top NES hidden gems:

Clash at Demonhead

Nightshade

Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight

The Guardian Legend

Crisis Force

Crystalis

Adventures of Lolo

Galaxy 5000

Super Dodge Ball

I'm surprised a few of these are on the list.

Here are the SNES hidden gems:

ActRaiser

Populous

Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen

Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball

Super Mario All-Stars

Super Scope 6

Batman Returns

Syndicate

Illusion of Gaia

The Adventures of Batman & Robin

Demon's Crest

E.V.O.: Search for Eden

Secret of Evermore

Wild Guns

The Firemen

Assault Suits Valken

Weaponlord

Shadowrun

Tetris Attack

Rock n' Roll Racing

Knights of the Round

Claymates

Magic Sword

Goof Troop

The King of Dragons

King Arthur's World

The Lost Vikings

I can argue against a lot of these.

And now the GameBoy:

Trip World.

Bubble Ghost.

Kid Dracula.

Castlevania Legends.

Darkwing Duck.

James Bond 007.

Mole Mania.

Batman: Return of the Joker.

I thought CastleVania legends would be too well known. I can make an argument for Return of the Joker.

58 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Ya most of those SNES games are well-known. If those SNES games are a criteria then I think old Aliens vs Predator arcade is BECOMING a hidden gem as the old arcade machines are dying and it never had a home release: https://archive.org/details/arcade_avsp

Again, I don't know if I'd call this game a hidden gem, but it's a contender for being the greatest beat 'em up of all time.

@SGS Man I really need to play God Hand.