Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Looking for your old WADs for Doom Diablo project

Hello Doomworld community,

for my Doom Diablo crossover project I managed to "convert" Doom maps to Diablo 2 maps. How this looks like you can see in the current video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqWWeb5nitc

Since I would like to include way more maps and mapping takes a huge amount of time for me (and there is another megawad my mapping time goes into),

I am looking for existing maps from the community I could use for Doomiablo.

So if you would like to support this project by allowing me to take some of your existing maps please write the wad names you allow me to use for said purpose.

Please notice:

- the wad has to be a vanilla wad, no DIHF or pk3

- the map/part of the map will be edited and included in a wad which includes all maps used for this project

- custom textures and sprites are OK

- if you think of a specific map or part of a map which you might think is really suited for this project please notice this in your comment

- if you do not say differently I will use the author in the txt file of the zip file of your wad to credit you

- I cannot guarantee that I can use your maps since a lot of maps doom maps are not very well suited, what works best are very open areas (indoor or outdoor)

If you have any question please do not hesitate and simply ask in this thread.

Thank you for reading so far!

doomdoom should fit the requirements, nice map :). is it ok for you if I use it for doomiablo?

(I have seen that you do not care in the txt file, but I only want to use wads from people who actively say yes)

Yeah, it's totally ok!

Actually I'm willing to donate just about anything by me you can find here but I'm afraid that most of my maps are too small and cramped for something like this.

@joepallai thank you a lot! entryway looks very promising.

crossfire and gate are sadly too small structured.

overall interesting mapping style!

@Marlamir oh wow thank you. it is very tempting to take your offer, especially because I like you mapping style a lot (also your idea unreal like intro for you wad background you posted a few days ago looks awesome!), but I am afraid I cannot take it... because of the following reason:

- what I encountered through mapping for doomiablo is that there are a lot of do's and dont's and that whatever comes out is usually not a typical map one wants to play in doom. i.e. the uac mars station one can see in the beginning of the video took a long time to map but is barely usable for a doom map. this is the very same reason why it is so difficult to find maps that are usable for doomiablo.

what might be a better idea is the following: you are creating a map for doom while having some of the do's and dont's for doomiablo map creating in your mind and I will modify it until it is suited for doomiablo. of course you could send me some early stages of your map such that I can give you feedback (i.e. after the rough layout is set). I would be extremely happy if you want to do this, but please think it through whether you want to do this (of course you could quit at any stage).

@termrork Thank you for your words. I realize the style of mapping need to fit diablo  and will not be suitable for doom and im aware of few things. Howewer what those do's and dont's should be? Is looks challenging and i would like to try this challenge but not before i finish my map. So around middle of october i will try something.

Hey this is a really cool idea! I hope better mappers than me will drop some links for you to play with, but until then I'll do just that. Idk if any maps I've made will be suitable, (for starters all of these are boom format, plus one limit-removing heretic map) though you'd have my permission to chop 'em up, toss stuff, and edit the shit out of them to suit your purposes... whatever it takes to make it fit the different genre :) (though especially with stuff like doom's mechanics, like floor raise/lowers, teleports, etc, it seems you'll be doing a lot of chopping?) I don't think I can give permission on my own for any collabs I've done but if the other authors happen on this, this can serve as my portion of the agreement for any map.

That said most of these are speedmaps, so some may be a little plain, especially in an isometric view, so once again idk if any of these will be useable for you:

These 3 all require jimmytex-lite as a resource wad to be run: (<3 Jimmy)

Joy of Mapping 3: Funked Up

Phrygia

Quester's Fest

This requires j4tex_e1_boom as a resource wad to run: (more <3<3's Jimmy)

Joy of Mapping 4: Toom of Domb

This is a standalone map I made for an angry cloud's birthday:

Wekless Endangerment

This started as a Heretic DM set, but I put in an SP conversion, so it may be a bit weird; idk: (there were a couple other maps, but I never detailed them beyond what was needed for DM testing, so I cut them out for this)

HTDM4hStripped

Any other maps I've made or will make you can feel free to use for this project, as I like what you've got going on and am happy to support it, but these are the less-shitty of the bunch I'd say. I'll prolly link you my current WIP when it's done if you are still looking for stuff whenever that happens, but at this point I still need to finish its detailing, balancing and polishing so some parts, in particular 2 of the larger areas, don't look all that great.

It might be interesting to try to create a small map which could possibly be suitable for both mediums to see how implementing diablo 2's genre of map design would affect the building process, design, goals, and gameplay of a Doom map, but with the lack of Doom's effects in Diablo it seems like one would need a fairly static map. Either way, gl with this project; everything I've seen thus far looks awesome and I'm really excited for it.

@Marlamir awesome! looking forward to see what you will create! there is no need to rush, doomiablo will not be finished soon ;). I am quite positive that I will still be working on doomiablo for at least another year (want to release a version sooner in which not everything is done yet but still playable)

the do's and dont's which come in my head are the following:

- the wad has to be a vanilla wad, no DIHF or pk3

- custom textures and sprites are OK

- what works best are very open areas (indoor or outdoor), more specifically: i.e. in the middle of the map a tower would be quite bad because players and monsters can hide behind it. what works better in that case are pillars as things or as walls.

- walls in general are ok but usually only suited indoors. outdoors walls work better if you can see through them or are small enough such that you can see over them or even shoot over them

- the diablo 2 world is build like this: very open outdoor areas which are quite randomly generated. some unique outdoor areas like the UAC space station in the video and the evil outpost. random dungeons like the dungeons in the video and unique dungeons like the duel map shown in the video (which is actually a FFA map). a doom map converted to a diablo 2 map makes only sense for unique outdoor and unique dungeons. therefore such a doom map should for the most cases do not have a transition between outdoor and indoor, either entirely indoor or outdoor.

- decoration things are ok, monster things are irrelevant since in diablo 2 the monsters are quite randomly placed except of special boss monsters. if one wants to map a dungeon with a boss monster one can indicate this with a cyberdemon

- however one can decide which kind of monsters and to what percentage they should appear in each specific dungeon or outdoor area (i.e. 20% shotgun guys, 65% imps and 15% cacos)

- since the map will be in a isometric view one can simply go to such a view in a doom editor and see what looks good or not

- height differences are difficult to deal with since diablo 2 maps are flat and one has to mimic them by not being able to move forward in that direction but somewhere else with stairs.

- teleporters and doors work, but not floor changing effects

- if you or anyone else wants to create a map suitable for diablo 2, feel free to send me the map in an early stage so I can see whether it works or not

@Fonze

>I hope better mappers than me will drop some links for you to play with, but until then I'll do just that.

not sure if this is meant sarcastic or not, if not I can only say what I experienced is on the contrary. I really enjoyed your maps, they have a unique style what I really like. awesome work!

Funked Up, Phrygia, Quester's Fest, Toom of Domb, Wekless Endangerment: sadly too small areas : /

HTDM4hStripped: the cave looks awesome and it looks suitable, I will try to convert it!

>Any other maps I've made or will make you can feel free to use for this project, as I like what you've got going on and am happy to support it

thank you a lot!

>but with the lack of Doom's effects in Diablo it seems like one would need a fairly static map

it depends, doors work, teleporters work but not stuff like floor raising or lowering

>I'll prolly link you my current WIP when it's done if you are still looking for stuff whenever that happens

again, there is no need to rush at all, I am quite positive that I will still be working on doomiablo for at least another year (want to release a version sooner in which not everything is done yet but still playable)

thank you all a lot for your support! one big reason why doom is the greatest game for me is that it has the greatest community!!