Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

I'll make you a few graphics if you compile some resources for me

At some point, I would like to learn to how to add exactly which textures/sprites I want for my maps, but so far I have only been able to understand how to replace existing resources. What I'd rather have is a .wad or .pk3 that adds whichever new textures and sprites I desire (a few handpicked selections from Realm 667). Given that I find Slade 3 and instructional videos daunting, I'm not yet at a point where I can do this myself.

Rather than just ask someone to do it, I'd like to make a proposal: I lay out exactly what I want, you generate the file for me, and in return I'll make you a handful of high quality assets (no enemies, but definitely sprites/textures) for your mod. I could also compose non-midi music tracks if that's your fancy. I'll let you decide how many assets you'd like.

Is this a silly request? I feel this is reasonable and a fun way for me to help others in the community with their projects while getting something in return.

I think this is a cool idea and I'd like to see how your artwork will translate to the dumes. I'd offer to help out of interest to see what you'd make on the other end of the deal but I'm not familiar enough with the process to warrant me throwing my hat into that ring; at best I can muddle my way through slade using examples. I do wish you best of luck on this tho; I don't think it's an unreasonable request on your end, so much as a bit silly perhaps that what you're asking for can be as little as 5 minutes of work while what you offer will likely take much more time for the same level of quality as the decorate lump you receive. The offer vs request are most likely not balanced.

48 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Is this a silly request?

I think "trading labour" is not a silly idea at all. Perhaps some more people might wanna try and go that route as well, because in my mind there's hardly anybody around who can do basically everything equally well.

@Fonze, I agree that it's likely a bit unbalanced. I can imagine a more complex request being more favorable to what I would provide, as resource stitching is indeed a short process. However, I struggle with instructional information and don't feel right asking someone to do it for free. I'm more than willing to cook up something in return so long as I'm credited.

It‘s actually really not a bad idea at all, especially for time consuming tasks like custom Decorate maybe. Yet, I think your request is so simple, that someone will gladly do it for free very soon, I imagine. 

Right, DW? 

Anyone is free to DM me so I can go over specifics. If you've got skills with decorate lumps and texture compiling, let me know! Making graphics isn't very time consuming for me; I have the Adobe suite and have been a visual artist for nearly three decades.

Essentially the same as PNAMES and TEXTUREx, just written in a different way.

TEXTURES also, as I understand it, allows for scaling textures and controlling their dimensions through text.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/TEXTURES

The problem is that unlike TEXTUREx, TEXTURES is text-only, so there's no visual representation of what you're doing. Which is part of why I don't use it.

I'd love to help, and I do have a specific need for a single image: a console background for my port, but, I'm too far over-extended as-is, and I can't bear the thought of making you wait. I've kept too many people waiting for too long - sorry about that.

As someone who has often struggled with perceived technical labyrinths to achieve any kind of artistic output, I totally feel you on this request GoatLord. I've mostly trial & error'ed my way through to what textured projects I've been able to output on my own, so I don't have a clear enough path to target to offer help directly (nor am I mapping atm) - Jim Flynn blissfully took care of this aspect on ED, all those years ago.

The new resource wads seem especially brittle near their genesis, more often than not glitching out a bit before they get more stable and get to up & running - in my personal experience anyway. Not that it's ever a safe or very streamlined process, the house of cards can easily topple. Where to put your F_START & your F_END, etc. Revisional backups required anyway, to enable retreat to "last working", lol.

Think you'll find someone to help you out, the offer of traded labour's generous enough.

I've got a couple peeps who are willing to help me. What I might do is start a separate thread where I specifically lay out something I want and whoever wants to barter can DM me. This thread was sort of an experiment to see if people are interested and I'm pleased to see that they are. I love making digital graphics and I think this will be a great way to give something back to the community.