Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STILES

Original Doom songs you want to see return

Recommended Posts

The problem with using a lot of the songs from Doom 1 and 2 is that many of them are very heavily based on existing songs by rock/metal bands. The level of influence varies, but some of the best ones are absolutely close enough to cause legal issues. "Shawn's Got the Shotgun" (Used first in MAP07 of Doom II) for example: It's a great track, but that's because it's very nearly literally just the first two minutes of Slayer's South of Heaven with the lead guitar and vocals muted.

 

For the tiny indie company Id was in 1993, things were a bit different, but these days I suspect that riffing on a lot of original Doom tracks would be a bit of a copyright law minefield, especially now that they're owned by a massive publisher. To be safe they'd have to properly license and pay for any of the "inspirational" songs which have even a slight chance of triggering a lawsuit, and some of those bands are massive, and presumably could ask for a *lot* of money.

 

Although: I'd be very surprised if some kind of behind the scenes negotiation with the relevant record labels hasn't already taken place in the last 25 years, what with Doom being released on every system ever, including Microsoft and Sony consoles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, Nootrac4571 said:

The problem with using a lot of the songs from Doom 1 and 2 is that many of them are very heavily based on existing songs by rock/metal bands. The level of influence varies, but some of the best ones are absolutely close enough to cause legal issues. "Shawn's Got the Shotgun" (Used first in MAP07 of Doom II) for example: It's a great track, but that's because it's very nearly literally just the first two minutes of Slayer's South of Heaven with the lead guitar and vocals muted.

 

For the tiny indie company Id was in 1993, things were a bit different, but these days I suspect that riffing on a lot of original Doom tracks would be a bit of a copyright law minefield, especially now that they're owned by a massive publisher. To be safe they'd have to properly license and pay for any of the "inspirational" songs which have even a slight chance of triggering a lawsuit, and some of those bands are massive, and presumably could ask for a *lot* of money.

 

Although: I'd be very surprised if some kind of behind the scenes negotiation with the relevant record labels hasn't already taken place in the last 25 years, what with Doom being released on every system ever, including Microsoft and Sony consoles.

 

Bobby Prince knew what he was doing was completely legal. He was a lawyer, ya know.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

Bobby Prince knew what he was doing was completely legal. He was a lawyer, ya know.

 

He's also said in more than one interview that Id used a bunch of verbatim tracks he made as samples that were never intended for public use, and that at the time he thought they were going to get sued.

 

 

(He talks about this at around the 13 minute mark.)

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/5/2018 at 5:40 AM, Nootrac4571 said:

 

[Bobby Prince interview]

 

And here I was thinking the the "un" in the scrapped "un##" midis meant "unused." 

Well that clears up that myth about him knowing "just what was legal to use" without getting sued. I always found that fishy: wouldn't he want to play it safe?

Share this post


Link to post

redo hanger obviously the way its was done doom 2016 was... disappointing TBH it may have been good back then but it felt bland, didn't give the original much justice, too slow to account the game play and the weird dubstep like sounds just made it sound like a boring reboot. i would bring in a traditional metal band for the sound track but that's just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

I had this dream, where it was the Doom Eternal teaser trailer, but the music was replaced Andrew Hultshult's version of DOOM - Doom2 Map13.

 

If a remake of that song got put in, that'll be so great. It's literally one of the most underrated songs in the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm really into "I Sawed the Demons" From DOOM right now.

So it is one song I want too see return in some form.

(Also Doom's Gate is so over used at this point) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Archanhell said:

Kitchen Ace or I don't know how it was called and At Hell's Gate

Kitchen Ace (and Taking Names) and At Doom’s Gate? We already got the latter, unless you wanted a full version.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/26/2018 at 8:58 PM, Pepsiman said:

I wanna hear the Doom 64 theme in some capacity. 

 

'Bout non-UD/Doom 2 songs, something else I'd love to hear would be the level stats screen music from PSX (Final) Doom.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Pepsiman said:

Kitchen Ace (and Taking Names) and At Doom’s Gate? We already got the latter, unless you wanted a full version.

 

Oh if we already have it then ok.

I guess Kitchen Ace (and Taking Names) then.

ty btw

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Archanhell said:

 

Oh if we already have it then ok.

I guess Kitchen Ace (and Taking Names) then.

ty btw

Closest thing too a Remake (Unless DOOM Eternal remakes the song)

 

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, SoggyPinecone. said:

Closest thing too a Remake (Unless DOOM Eternal remakes the song)

 

 

This is my morning coffee.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×