Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Anyone in the Generation Z who like Classic Doom games?

Okay so, you might be confused by the title. You might not know what "Generation Z" is. Basically, it's people who are born in the year 2000 or afterward. I will start with myself. I was born on June 11th, 2001, and I am a huge fan of Doom. Although, to be quite honest, there are a lot of things that I like that are older than myself. It actually kind of bothers me that there are people who refuse to like something simply because it was made before they were born. Seriously? Do people actually consider their birthday to be some sort of epoch or something? In my opinion, I hate my birthdays. On my last birthday, I wanted nothing more than birthday money from my family and for my best friend (who is also a fan of Doom and other games that I like) to visit me and enjoy eating KFC together. I got what I wanted and I was happy.

My youngest brother, Christopher. He was born in July 14th 2002 and he's a Classic Doom fan as well. Starting with SNES Doom first.

11 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

It actually kind of bothers me that there are people who refuse to like something simply because it was made before they were born. Seriously? Do people actually consider their birthday to be some sort of epoch or something?

It's not always a refusal but can be a cultural coincidence, if you will. I like hardly any music from prior to when I was about 10, and I don't think I own a single album from my birth year or before. There's no mental cutoff in my mind; it's just what I like. It probably has to do with when I first started seriously listening to music. 

In any case, glad to have "youngsters" on board.

December 20th, 2002 and I am a HUGE fan. Even making a bunch of mods for it. The Doom series as a whole is my favorite game franchise of all time.

I like a bunch of stuff that started in the past several decades.

Yup, I was born in 2000 and here I am, always coming back to the classic games. Doom was among the first games I played, but, interestingly enough, I didn't really care about it. It wasn't until I was around 12 that I discovered that WADs were a thing, and I haven't stopped playing ever since.

Yikes, I've been a member of Doomworld longer than your guys have been alive!

I've heard people describe Doom as a "retro" game, and while playing Chocolate Doom probably is, I think a modern source port is anything but.  I think that's why the game continues to attract new people, because it isn't this one nostalgic experience. It's constantly a source of new and exciting content. 

Well, yeah, from 2003 here, loved it to bits when I was 11, still do. I think a lot of people from 2000s and onwards at least like classic Doom.