Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Whats up with the Doom 64 engine?

Its really weird... it CLEARLY has some engine improvements, notably with the new changes to how the Sky works... does anyone have a list of the improvements? I almost want to start mapping for it... its like GZDoom without the insane amount of overhead (not in all ways of course).

Edit:

We may be creating a community project for Doom 64.

Poll is here.

Edit 2:

We are creating a community project for Doom 64!

Signups here!!!

Edited by StevenC21

10 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

its like GZDoom without the insane amount of overhead (not in all ways of course).

What do you mean by overhead? Are you talking about the complexity of editing tools or that the actual engine is more demanding on the hardware?

2 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

Talking about the general hardware demands that are far more than the average for such geometry in most engines.

Frankly, GZDoom also does many things "slightly" better than the N64 does. Not that you're likely to notice if you keep maps close to original doom 64 in terms of geometry for example.

@Linguica Just a suggestion, but I think it would be a good idea to have a Doom 64 section, or sticky, or SOMETHING. It is in desperate need for recognition. That, and the project (Doom 64 EX) was never actually fully finished, and that might finally be enough to push it to the finish line. Just a thought.

I also had supported that suggestion a long time ago but it never happened. Don't know why, we really could benefit from a Doom 64, or maybe a console Doom section since PSX Doom is so unique as well. Maybe a "Midway Doom" section.

A Doom 64 section was suggested not so long ago, and there was a suggestion to include even PSX Doom into the mix

As for Doom 64 mapping, it's too bad we don't see many stuff nowdays, there was a mapset in development where i did a map sometime ago, but it got abandoned. A Doom 64 cp would be nice...

7 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Doom 64 Ex needs a community project. It's like everyone just forgets the thing exists and has a map editor.

I like community projects, but...

As guy who're still very lazy working with THIS - I should say that Doom 64EX mapping sucks in few ways. It's extremely not user-friendly even with the awesome design of classic Doom Builder.

I mean, you can create a door but instead of opening you will be crushed by ceiling. Why? Just because. I've even used such bug/feature in Fusion of Realities to create turbo fast moving platform via using "Door Open". Heh.

I think a part of the reason Doom 64 EX mapping isn't more popular is because the editor is buggy. I remember making a large map for it but after a while I started experiencing some strange bugs that would prevent some parts of the map from working correctly. From what I understand this isn't as big of a problem with smaller maps, but it's annoying regardless.

I also can't help but feel that mapping for Doom 64 EX is perhaps a bit pointless now seeing as we have updated ports like Doom 64 Retribution which gives us the graphics of Doom 64 with all the modding abilities of Zdoom. Though granted that you would probably need to extract elements from the mod manually if you wanted to make maps for it.

Well, we have more "options" than usually...

Anyway, speaking about D64 Community Project - I'm afraid there are very few people who will be interested in such mapping project. If I'm wrong... We will see some new and HOT thread about this.

35 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

Well, we have more "options" than usually...

Anyway, speaking about D64 Community Project - I'm afraid there are very few people who will be interested in such mapping project. If I'm wrong... We will see some new and HOT thread about this.

The problem is mostly that in order to map for either of the big Doom 64 mods you would have to extract elements from it and then manually create your own modding files to map with. I did this a while ago with Brutal Doom 64 where I basically created my own thing definitions for some of the stuff in the mod so that I can spawn it in Doom builder and it was a hassle. You could of course just use Doom 64 EX but like I said the editor and tools are buggy.

38 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

The problem is mostly that in order to map for either of the big Doom 64 mods you would have to extract elements from it and then manually create your own modding files to map with

It's not so hard to do, even more, the leader of the cp can do it for everyone who want to participate. So that's not the argument.

2 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

You could of course just use Doom 64 EX but like I said the editor and tools are buggy.

Bugs which have been reported to the author I presume

2 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Bugs which have been reported to the author I presume

Kaiser has very little interest in continuing work with Doom 64 editing tools as far as I know since he is too busy with other things.

I'd say Kaiser is not interested anymore in this. I don't blame him, just because he did the great job with the main task (port D64 to PC), but we can't do anything with this.

What if somebody or a group of users continued Kaiser's work on the Doom 64 editing tools so it does not stagnate?

5 hours ago, Marcaek said:

has anyone thought to ask the man about any of this, christ

I've asked him twice about both Doom 64 and PSX Doom editing tools. I've got not so much. Some "rtfm" about coloring system and after that he got offline "for ever"

Doom64 EX has a GitHub repo here, with commits as recent as last month.

There's also a DB64 repo as well, which hasn't gotten much attention, but dropping an issue on the board is a good place to start.

D64EX map editing is a goal of SLADE 3, though I'll admit at the moment it's quite incomplete and probably not functional enough. (Doesn't handle macros, lights, etc.)

Doom 64 is honestly Doom's most untapped resource.

The game is absolutely phenomenal. I just beat it. Easily my favorite Doom game ever. It really needs more recognition.

Seems what we need is a Doom 64 .pk3 that lets you drop all replaced graphics/sound/music into your map. How possible would that be?

56 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

Doom 64 is honestly Doom's most untapped resource.

The game is absolutely phenomenal. I just beat it. Easily my favorite Doom game ever. It really needs more recognition.

It's my favorite Doom game too! I think it's the dark and brooding atmosphere and occult/Lovecraftian imagery that pulled me in. Just my cup of tea!

@GoatLord That would be ideal, but there's a couple things.

1. That is illegal, since the assets are proprietary.

2. However, the company that made them is defunct... so maybe?

3. Sounds a bit like Doom 64: TC, so perhaps we could use that?

Again, I think that publicity would be the best thing. Like, say, a forum section...

36 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

1. That is illegal, since the assets are proprietary.

Nobody seems to care about mods like Doom 64 Retribution or BD Doom 64, both of whom use Doom 64 assets.