Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

Open source?

So, I just submitted my request to sourceforge.net to put ZDoomGL up there. If it goes through (and I see no reason for it not to), you'll be able to grab the latest source from there and help out if you want. Or even just grab it to take a look at what I'm doing :)

I'll find out what's up next week sometime...

timmie said:

So, I just submitted my request to sourceforge.net to put ZDoomGL up there. If it goes through (and I see no reason for it not to), you'll be able to grab the latest source from there and help out if you want. Or even just grab it to take a look at what I'm doing :)

I'll find out what's up next week sometime...

Ok, so I just heard back from Randy and apparently he tried to put ZDoom on Sourceforge before, but was rejected because of some of the licencing stuff from Hexen, etc.

Ah well. No big deal, I guess :)

boris said:

So can we soon expect CVS ZDoomGL? :)

Well, I'm going to be the only person on the team, but I'll accept submissions from people (and will credit them, of course). My reasoning behind that is I suck at managing people and I like going at my own pace. It's mostly just a way to get the source out there for people to play with, anyway. And if you have a compiler (VC++), you can take a look at what's done!

But yes, there will be cvs zdoomgl available (probably tonight when I get home) :)

woot

any chance we could get nightly builds off of cvs? :P

or will I have to dust off my msvc6 cd and do it myself?

Arioch said:

woot

any chance we could get nightly builds off of cvs? :P

or will I have to dust off my msvc6 cd and do it myself?

Well, since it's not official (I just put it up there so people could see what I'm doing), you'll have to do it yourself until I do an official release... Once I do release it, you'll be able to get nightly builds, though.

You'll need the latest FMOD API (fmod.org), NASM (can't remember where I got it, so you'll have to hit google for it), and maybe the DX8 SDK (for some DirectShow stuff or something).

I'll put up the 2 required wads and utilities (glbsp, zdoom.wad and zdoomgl.wad) when I get home for anyone who does feel like compiling it.

Yeah I was kind of also hoping for the actual wad files, since I've compiled zdoom and derivates for various other purposes in the past--debugging help for Randy in the earlier days of 1.23 betas, compiling csdoom and skulltag betas, etc.

/me thinks about building zdoomgl

Arioch said:

*choke*

Heh, it's just for the high-res textures and is only used in TextureList::loadExternalFile() and when saving screenshots (GL_ScreenShot() or something like that) in png format.

It works great! I just ran through the first 3 maps of Doom2.

Where does it keep it's setting at though? I can't seem to find an ini for it.

rtz said:

It works great! I just ran through the first 3 maps of Doom2.

Where does it keep it's setting at though? I can't seem to find an ini for it.

It's in "Documents and Settings\Application Data\zdoom.ini". Randy moved it there so systems with multiple users won't be fighting over the config :)

Oh, and you can thank SlayeR and Nigel Rowand for it working as well as it does. They've been great at finding bugs in it! There are still a few outstanding issues, though (most notable is some textures are still misaligned).

Let's see, what's the list before release:

- fix misaligned textures
- fix weapons
- fix ZDoom style hires texture loading
- add a couple more options into the menu
- change some of the cvars so they're protected in multiplayer games (gl_wireframe, gl_depthfog, gl_depthfog_multiplier, and gl_show_walltype being the big ones, I think)
- possibly do the thing I was thinking for improving framerate, but that might wait until after I release

Am I forgetting anything?

timmie said:

It's in "Documents and Settings\Application Data\zdoom.ini". Randy moved it there so systems with multiple users won't be fighting over the config :)

Hmmm, that must depend on your version of Windows. On my '98 SE the Zdoom ini is found in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\zdoom.ini

timmie said:

Status bar?

Decals not aligning to the walls properly?

(Unless these are done now, I'm running the 25th September ver)

Oh, and I have now noticed the slowdown I mentioned to you is really only significant in areas where there are lots of slopes - like archways or similar. It is slightly detectable when sweeping the mouse around when there are a few slopes. It's never bad enough to interrupt play though.

Enjay said:

Status bar?

Decals not aligning to the walls properly?

(Unless these are done now, I'm running the 25th September ver)

Oh, and I have now noticed the slowdown I mentioned to you is really only significant in areas where there are lots of slopes - like archways or similar. It is slightly detectable when sweeping the mouse around when there are a few slopes. It's never bad enough to interrupt play though.

Right, forgot about those ones :) Decals are going to be complicated (mostly the clipping to the walls properly, aligning shouldn't be too hard), so we'll see how far I get on those.

The slowdown I'm talking about is comparing ZDoomGL to Doom Legacy running eaeuro03 (jDoom just crashes, last time I tried it). It's the difference between butter smooth and ~15fps ;) I think the archways slow things down because they're generally broken down into a bunch of smaller sectors than just flat (to get the smooth look), which comes back to the polygon throughput. Right now I'm running at about 450,000 tris/sec (30,000 tris/frame at 15fps) on a 1.2GHz Athlon with Geforce2. Not particularly spectacular =/ I'm hoping to boost that to at least 1 million tris/sec, which shouldn't be too hard (it runs close to that in wireframe mode). Then I could at least play eaeuro03 at 30fps...

timmie said:

Getting the Load & Save game menus displaying correctly, texture clipping, intermission screens, plus the stuff Nigel mentioned... ;)

SlayeR said:

Getting the Load & Save game menus displaying correctly, texture clipping, intermission screens, plus the stuff Nigel mentioned... ;)

Umm, and those ones, of course :)