Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ferk

Improving player front walk animation

The previous animation always looked to me like he was holding his pee. So I tried to improve it.
I also reduced a bit the sudden swing with the weapon that it does in the middle of the walk.
I only changed the front animation, which imho was the worst of the lot. The side views are not as bad, at least in those the legs are set apart.

Before

2007209046_Walkingplayerold.gif.5ab899f52ddf6044fee274ddeba60f92.gif

After:

161132283_Walkplayerfront.gif.9ed751484efdefb1262cc305dc4dec20.gif

PR: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pull/546

Edited by Ferk

Oh yes, I totally see what you mean now. It looks indeed like he is "holding his pee". Quite an improvement, I like it.

It looks more like actual walking with your change.

I think before maybe there was a huge amount of perspective, like the viewer was close, and maybe close to his feet, but I'm not sure why that would be. I like what you did.

I've made  it so it actually looks like he's holding the gun rather than just punching it. And I've tweaked a bit the helmet and some minor details.

1393041472_Walkingplayer.gif.76a29e4c5af8a65b8d91b1702d7353c5.gif

The gif has some weird black pixels suddenly, but it just seems to be caused by the gif conversion (too bad the forum does not accept webp).

Edited by Ferk

Am I the only one that thinks that the shoulders' (and the head's) movement is exaggerated? It reminds me of those people that cross the street slowly and when they notice a car they pretend to move faster by exaggerating their movements without actually speeding up. And – if I moved my head like that I would get dizzy. ;-)

I'm now trying to improve the back animation next. But that one is more messed up than I thought, I don't even understand what the shoulders are trying to do here.....

1766575284_Walkingplayerback(old).gif.642d94d3c8979d070117e5472ff8a5b2.gif1400584158_Walkingplayerback.gif.552a2e52d3247ccd49b9dfc3d6ca167c.gif

I also made it the same size as the front animation, for some reason the savior of humanity shrinks when you look at him from behind.

I'll continue later and see how can I further improve it.

Great work so far. The shoulders seem very strange, indeed. As if the right shoulder is moving in a circular motion.

Ok, I think this is a bit more acceptable:

738395661_Walkingplayerback.gif.98783a1fbf82f3e18ef49f58c8151bd8.gif

Edited by Ferk