Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Batandy

The Crimson Deed | Public Beta Out Now! Happy Halloween!

Man this looks really good. Looking forward to play it.

It also reminds of one doom mod but i cant remember which one. 

Golf x The Crimson Deed
Guess what? Vesper occasionally likes to golf! You'll be able to play as her in @TerminusEst13's fantastic golf mod!
BIyQvTFl.png

(Yeah that portrait is a placeholder, don't worry!)

This looks really cool so far! I'll never not love the fusion of an old-timey gothic setting and guns. Vesper's got a cool design herself, too.

I also love that UI effect when you're pointing at items you can grab, it's super fancy lookin'.

Sneak peek at a new magic power (very WIP)!

vHQWd0L.png

You'll be able to temporarily summon bat familiars to attack your enemies, it's pretty useful as a crowd control magic attack.
Speaking of which, magic is called Animus, and it's a major plot point of the story, i'm not gonna reveal it, so you'll have to find out by yourself!

These days i've been working on improving the performance of the game. The results are pretty good, game looks great and plays smooth as butter (I have an amd FX and a GTX 760, and I get an average of 60-140 fps at 1080p).
jfpThN7.png
I've also worked on some new props, these are from Warchild's model packs but edited with new textures and normal/specular maps. I had to manually place every candle's fire on the chandelier, it was tedious but worth it in the end  :)

Here's a bunch of great news!

Selection Wheel
jd9WlW8.png
You can now manage your powers with a wheel selection (Powered by DrPyspy's Pywheel)
It's also possible to bind specific powers to the keyboard for quick power swapping!

Soundtrack
The talented musician and fellow Doomer Primeval is now making an amazing soundtrack for this game! Here's a sneak peek of the main theme!

Stunning design. I didn't even think you could make paralax textures look so good in Doom. 

I couldn't figure out how to open the final door though. Does it have something to do with the purple thing in the room? Interacting with it didn't do anything either except it starting to glow. 

Is it possible to make the fog sprites fade out when you are close? (like reversed draw distance?) That would make the screen flicker less when you run through smoke and make it look more realistic and easier on the eyes.

It looks awesome, are all those decorations voxels? The only weirdness is when lights bleed through walls, I know that haas always been a problem but do modern GZDoom versions have a clipping options or something?

Now about the controls, I had to set them as I had to use them because GZDoom's defaults are unusable. Maybe you should distribute the mod with GZDoom preconfigured and a batch file to launch it. Because I had to set the WASD keys, jump, crouch and the power select and other of the mod's keys.

I liked the atmosphere and the gfx, combat was simple. I felt there was a sound effect missing when hitting the rats. Because I was just swinging at them and they squeeled and died, no satisfying THUD!

Is the rotting food supposed to give health? The last 3 I got before beating the map didn't seem to move the health slider.

Spoiler to those who can't open the final door: secalp owt no moor taht ni eriF esU

21 hours ago, VGA said:

It looks awesome, are all those decorations voxels? The only weirdness is when lights bleed through walls, I know that haas always been a problem but do modern GZDoom versions have a clipping options or something?

Now about the controls, I had to set them as I had to use them because GZDoom's defaults are unusable. Maybe you should distribute the mod with GZDoom preconfigured and a batch file to launch it. Because I had to set the WASD keys, jump, crouch and the power select and other of the mod's keys.

I liked the atmosphere and the gfx, combat was simple. I felt there was a sound effect missing when hitting the rats. Because I was just swinging at them and they squeeled and died, no satisfying THUD!

Is the rotting food supposed to give health? The last 3 I got before beating the map didn't seem to move the health slider.

Spoiler to those who can't open the final door: secalp owt no moor taht ni eriF esU

You can now enable shadowmaps, requires a beefy pc but you'll get accurate lights around the world, if there's a corner, the light will stop there, not pass through it.

Regarding the controls, i mean, i don't really see the issue, it's very obvious that playing with the arrow keys is not the optimal choice and the game is made for a modern control setup. But yeah i'll consider packing gzdoom with an existing config.

Once i set up some custom particles, knife slashing will feel more satisfying :P

Yeah rotten food is supposed to give you health (and in the future it might also give you a poison status effect if you consume too many of these at once). I'll check to make sure there are no issues.

23 hours ago, Lampenpam said:

Stunning design. I didn't even think you could make paralax textures look so good in Doom. 

I couldn't figure out how to open the final door though. Does it have something to do with the purple thing in the room? Interacting with it didn't do anything either except it starting to glow. 

Is it possible to make the fog sprites fade out when you are close? (like reversed draw distance?) That would make the screen flicker less when you run through smoke and make it look more realistic and easier on the eyes.

I'm experimenting at the moment, if it's possible i'll add fading fog. Bauul currently passed me a nice script which gives the fog a cool fading effect, but i've got a major performance loss from that so i'll have to see if i can come up with something a bit more optimized.

I played this on stream last night, and hoo boy am I glad I did!

This was an absolute delight, a shame there's only what is essentially a single level's worth currently, but Batandy's set the bar high. The combination of modern tech such as PBR with the low-res aesthetic gives off a delightfully stylish vibe. The areas featured in this demo are crammed full of atmosphere, from the visuals to the sound design, The Crimson Deed has a strong personality and sense of place.

The gameplay was too short to really judge, but the dagger felt satisfying to use, the pistol felt very powerful, and the magic attack alt-fire system (complete with a working spell selection wheel!) was very fun. There's a few environmental interactions, like breaking wooden boards to gain access to a later place, lighting torches with your magical attack to open a door, scurrying rats that you can step on etc, that really add to the value of this project.

I wish you the best of luck in continuing to develop this Batandy. If there's a team behind you, pass on the compliments to them too! :)

VOD is in the spoiler below. :)

Spoiler

I haven't mapped much these days, but i've worked on some general improvements and new weaponry.
Here's a preview of the Sawed Off Shotgun and Bats Animus, along with the new blood particles!

@Batandy You should consider adding an attack sound for the bats. In the video it looks like they're casually bumping into enemies and somehow killing them. The shotgun looks and sounds really cool though.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:10 PM, KVELLER said:

@Batandy You should consider adding an attack sound for the bats. In the video it looks like they're casually bumping into enemies and somehow killing them. The shotgun looks and sounds really cool though.

Will be done! Thank you very much!

I'm adding cool environmental hazards you can interact with
SORZY5d.png
Light the oil slick on fire using the Fire Animus and...
gj2vGJS.png
Crispy!