Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drfrag

LZDoom 3.82 'rogue' released

12 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Taking this in consideration, and hoping that differents map developers read this message, i suggest to, instead of the particle effect, use an animated texture like Thomas van der Velden do to simulate the rain in Revolution! Map02. That effect is unintrusive and, properly made, totally resembles rain. I tried using that texture in some test maps to see when it lags and, to my surprise, it needed a lot (really lot) of them to make it lag a little, while the particle effect, althought better looking, when bodies start to pile, it start to lag greatly.

While it is fully understandable that you feel this way, don't forget the other side of the coin:

The majority of users these days have systems that can effortlessly render such effects and not suffer slowdowns. So any mapper has to weigh in the pros and cons of each approach and choose what they think is best for their intended audience. Do they want to have an effect that reaches the last 10% of potential users at the cost of degraded visuals or is it better to just have an option to disable the effect for weaker systems and give the other 90% something that's looking nicer? I think most mappers would go for the second route.

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

While it is fully understandable that you feel this way, don't forget the other side of the coin:

The majority of users these days have systems that can effortlessly render such effects and not suffer slowdowns. So any mapper has to weigh in the pros and cons of each approach and choose what they think is best for their intended audience. Do they want to have an effect that reaches the last 10% of potential users at the cost of degraded visuals or is it better to just have an option to disable the effect for weaker systems and give the other 90% something that's looking nicer? I think most mappers would go for the second route.

Thats a good approach to take into the ecuation, Zahl! But testing things i found out something that made me re-think what i said yesterday (oh, the life!). Well, i am currently playing TNT: Evilution, and it relly feel like a chore to me, just because i want to have a fresh memory of the levels as i play Revilution and the upcoming Devilution. Well, a chore no less. So in between levels i played other wads (Revolution!, Demonfear, and others), and i re started playing ''The adventures of Square''. Well i made my way through the first episode up to the secret level, ''Artic Lab''. What an unexpected discovery i made upon playig it.

The level uses custom snow particles to simulate the weather effect, and also a lot of lights and animations, and a lot of particles like gibs. Well, i don't know why, but my PC doesn't lagged at all. I even had bittorrent in the background downloading and uploading at the same time. And nothing! My PC not lagged in any moment.
This is something i found ''strange''. Winter's Fury (i know, it have a wheater effect on/off) lags a lot, and even with the candle and weather effect off!, and it have a lot less animations and things going around (Although the dust or blizzard effect its pretty heavy and ot is a constant in this levels).

Any clue why is that, Graf?
I have loaded a little amount of autoloads: Sbirghtmaps.pk3, Flashlights_BD.pk3, droplets_v15.pk3 and full_scrnhuds.pk3. And i played it with nothing in the background consuming resources. Maybe just slade3, cos i made little modifications (the usual smoothing with the animdefs for my own use here and there), but not in Winter's Fury.

Winter's Fury doesn't lag because of the weather effects, but because these maps contain a huge amount of scenery detail, partly realized with portals. That type of map requires powerful hardware to render smoothly, especially the portals can stall older graphics hardware very easily. Many years ago when I was still using a Geforce 8600 it was nearly impossible to play any level smoothly that had a somewhat larger portal effect, with my current system it's no problem at all.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Winter's Fury doesn't lag because of the weather effects, but because these maps contain a huge amount of scenery detail, partly realized with portals. That type of map requires powerful hardware to render smoothly, especially the portals can stall older graphics hardware very easily. Many years ago when I was still using a Geforce 8600 it was nearly impossible to play any level smoothly that had a somewhat larger portal effect, with my current system it's no problem at all.

Mmm i understand. So no Winter's Fury for me hahaha! I just have an AMD A10 with an integrated graphic card of 1gb, but no other graphic card. Any clue why, sometimes Eviternity winter levels lags sometimes? Although i played it just a momnet ago and it didn't lag at all! My PC is a sonnuva----

Maybe this lags a little? I used it randomly: just a custom gldef and animdefs that i made for a little more mood, and the splash effect on water that i found somewhere.
I used it a while during the first levels, but after seeing that it desn't affect the water in Eviternity i stopped using it.

CustomMOOD.zip

EDIT: aw, yes! It have a simple decorate to have colored blood for most monsters, and a little bulk up in terms of difficulty for the baron of hell.

Edited by P41R47

Eviternity can be a bit taxing on weaker graphics hardware, the levels are quite complex and open, and with the weather effects added may cause the occasional slowdown.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

Eviternity can be a bit taxing on weaker graphics hardware, the levels are quite complex and open, and with the weather effects added may cause the occasional slowdown.

Thats clarify almost everything i was experiencing in practically all the last cacowards winners. Some seems to be very taxing for my little potato! Thats why i love works like Revolution! They use the simple old school feel in very imaginative ways. I really like the modern standars but unfortunately i can't enjoy them as intended. Thnaks Graf for your time! And thanks for all your hard work in the Doom community!

47 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Thats clarify almost everything i was experiencing in practically all the last cacowards winners. Some seems to be very taxing for my little potato! Thats why i love works like Revolution! They use the simple old school feel in very imaginative ways. I really like the modern standars but unfortunately i can't enjoy them as intended. Thnaks Graf for your time! And thanks for all your hard work in the Doom community!

Seeing how weak is your hardware, you'll have a much better time with wads that have smaller and less complex maps (and not super detailed). Stuff like Eviternity will be quite a bit taxing, to say nothing of wads like Mapwich, Slaughter Spectrum, or the upcoming Elementalism that make heavy use of visual effects and are very complex. Running that stuff needs some power.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, seed said:

Seeing how weak is your hardware, you'll have a much better time with wads that have smaller and less complex maps (and not super detailed). Stuff like Eviternity will be quite a bit taxing, to say nothing of wads like Mapwich, Slaughter Spectrum, or the upcoming Elementalism that make heavy use of visual effects and are very complex. Running that stuff needs some power.

Yeah, its very frustrating not being able to play anything to its full :/. As time passes, i will be only able to play wads that are vanilla-like :(. Thats why i like this fork so much. Any release of GZdoom beyond 3.3.2 played like a snail for me. But with this, at least, i can have a taste of the new wads out there. Yeah, i probably need to upgrade my computer, but i try to make the spent money worth it. So, until it is roasting like hell (or until i can't properly work with it), i will have to play something not so heavy taxing with my pc.
On a side note, i was thrilling Eviternity episode 3 map 3 and sudenly lzdoom crashed. Its the first time, for me at least, that any source port of doom crashed.
Here is the crash report, take a look at it, drfrag!

CrashReport.zip

EDIT: With no Droplet_v15 or Nashgore, Eviternity plays pretty smooth. Minor lag in episode 3 map 1 when reaching higher heights

Edited by P41R47

Posted (edited)
On 8/18/2019 at 9:13 PM, P41R47 said:

I hope you had the time to properly recover from your condition and to continue working on this fork, Drfrag.

Sorry for the delay but i'm on a limited internet connection and i don't find the forum software very frienly.
 Thanks! I still suffer tinnitus and probably will be permanent but i'm trying to get used to it. Mine as happens often is cyclical, there are more or less good days and really bad ones. It's worst when it's time to go to sleep in the silence of the night even the good days, i'm still depressed but it's not as bad as previously. Besides my irritable bowel has gotten much worse. Medication helps with but there's nothing really effective for tinnitus.
 I left the fund campaign open and any help would still be welcome. May be i should start a Patreon for the project.

I've tried your mod and for me it doesn't crash. I suspect the flashlight, it could be related to the recently fixed bug with dynamic lights destruction but i'm not sure if that could be the cause. I've tried with a different flashlight and no crash here either.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, Six-Shoota said:

So request for non SSE2 build would sound odd

LZDoom can actually be compiled without SSE2 on windows, i tried it long ago on an Athlon XP and a P3 and it should still work. If there's enough demand...