Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drfrag

LZDoom 3.88b released

Sorry for bumping this thread, but for some reason turning on "Items spawn on floor" actor compatibility setting does nothing at all it's kinda annoying me since I'm so used to vanilla Doom having items be on the floor instead of jumping off enemies upon death.

It's an old bug but noone has noticed until now (it was already present in 3.82 and the legacy build after 3.7.2), the level compatibility flags are not properly exported to ZScript. I skipped the level refactor and what i did was very wrong.

That did the trick, thank you very much. I also ported the code from the latest compatibility commits to try them out on my RetroPi system running LZDoom, though it's official fork is lacking controller support unless using this branch of LZDoom, and that fixed it on the RetroPie builds of LZDoom as well. I was wonder if we can bring these fixes over to official RetroPie branch of LZDoom, especially regarding controller support issues for those using wireless controllers with their Raspberry Pi systems.

I don't know what you mean, i don't think that's a real fork but the same code. I'm not sure, you could check the differences between that and the official 3.84 with diffmerge or whatever and then rebase your changes on top of the current head for g3.3mgw. BTW i don't know what the problem is, AFAIK controllers work in menus and may be only different defaults are needed. In any case my linux desktop machine has died and i won't be able to check linux for now.

BTW can anyone run the GL renderer on linux and check mouse cursor positioning at fullscreen resolutions lower than native? That was a bug reported by that nice guy named Nick who never gave feedback after i added a possible fix. Thanks.

6 hours ago, drfrag said:

BTW i don't know what the problem is, AFAIK controllers work in menus and may be only different defaults are needed. In any case my linux desktop machine has died and i won't be able to check linux for now.

BTW can anyone run the GL renderer on linux and check mouse cursor positioning at fullscreen resolutions lower than native? That was a bug reported by that nice guy named Nick who never gave feedback after i added a possible fix. Thanks.

When I installed the original LZDoom fork from the RetroPie set-up menu under its Optional or Experimental packages, the controller support wasn't completely supported since I could use the controller (I'm using an 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller in Switch mode via Bluetooth in this case) and I couldn't use the controller on the menus but works relatively okay after reconfiguring my in-game controls. As GL renderer support, when I tried to enable it on my Raspberry PI 3B+ with LZDoom, it either doesn't stick or just freezes the system on me, so I get the impression that the OpenGL renderer doesn't seem to work unless I'm doing something wrong here.

I know the GL renderer works on the Pi4 and Rachael tested it a few days ago, it should work as long as your driver supports OpenGL 2.0 or OpenGL ES 2.0. Get the source from the latest g3.3mgw.

BTW Daniel has updated the Brazilian Portuguese translation.

Edited by drfrag

Hi, @drfrag. I have some trouble with OpenGL. Any idea what could be causing this? GZDoom's OpenGL works fine.

Screenshot_Doom_20200528_101729.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200528_102101.png

Without any information of course not, i'm no seer. But i see missing textures there, so wrong/broken iwad?

Now i see you're using HQ resize modes so you could be running out of graphics memory.

Edited by drfrag

7 hours ago, drfrag said:

Without any information of course not, i'm no seer. 

Sorry. My specs: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz 3.00GHz. 2GB RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT.

But i see missing textures there, so wrong/broken iwad?

IWAD works perfectly with other source ports and with LZDoom's software renderer.

Now i see you're using HQ resize modes so you could be running out of graphics memory.

With or without resizing, it's still missing textures. But again, it works fine with the latest GZDoom.

I'm not demanding a fix or something. You can ignore this if the issue happens only to me. I'll still be using software render most of the time.

I see you're using a mod, fullscreen statusbar? Which map in the first screenshot? Clearly there are missing textures replaced with a dummy one.

Which LZDoom version? A recent devbuild?

32 minutes ago, drfrag said:

fullscreen statusbar?

Not really. It happens without this statusbar as well.

Which map in the first screenshot?

Can't remember the exact name of the map. It's DOOMTEST.WAD where I test compatibility and option things. A dummy texture is here as it should be. I apologize that I didn't mention this from the beginning.

Which LZDoom version? A recent devbuild?

LZDoom 3.85. I've checked both x64 and x86.

Hello @drfrag, I would like to report a possible bug.

I believe the compatibility settings are not being saved in LZDoom 3.86a. One thing I always do when using GZDoom is enabling the option "spawn item drops on the floor" in Actor Behavior. On GZDoom 4.4.2, the setting is saved when exiting and playing again. But on LZDoom 3.86a it reverts back to default. Also, thanks for your work in this port, it's great!

It works, may be your ini is not saved at all. But i've switched development to my master branch and there won't be more releases from the old g3.3mgw branch unless there's a major bug.

You are correct, it was my mistake. Because of bullshit windows 10 account settings, my username was using part of my phone number, and as a result, adding "-55479" to the end of the .ini file. I changed my username back to normal and now the .ini file works correctly.   

3.87 is up, check first post. This release fixes some bugs and mod compatibility problems plus has better vanilla gameplay due to the option to use the original Doom random number generator (also used in ZDoom 1.13). There are also some new ZScript features from GZDoom.
Special thanks to _mental_ and Edward850.

On the other hand i'm forced to add a sponsors button to my GitHub repo, something i don't like, becouse my financial situation is very bad again and i can't find a real job and in case someone wants to help development. At least Beloko has helped to pay my internet connection. I've linked to Ko-fi and Liberapay pages. :(

Good job releasing the latest version, mate. Sorry to hear about your situation, especially with the pandemic going on right now. I hope you're able to find a solution to your financial issue in due time.

On 10/13/2020 at 2:49 PM, drfrag said:

has better vanilla gameplay due to the option to use the original Doom random number generator

Hey @seed. Here you go. I remember your problem with GZDoom was RNG.

Thanks, drfrag!

2 hours ago, dmslr said:

Hey @seed. Here you go. I remember your problem with GZDoom was RNG.

You're a couple of months late, I keep track of the changelog in LZDoom.

And this is something I'd rather see mainline adopting - or reverting to.

I seem to be having problems in 3.87 in Windows 10 when switching to libADL and lib OPN.

Trying to switch to libADL in x64 freezes LZDoom but I'm able to end the process with task manager, and when cycling the other way to switch to libOPN, it freezes and won't let task manager or anything else other than the GINA screen show up in the foreground, forcing me to log out or restart. I'm able to alt+tab and cycle through other open programs including task manager and even close them, but LZDoom remains on the screen until I restart or log out.

In the x86 version I'm forced to restart/log out when switching to either OPN or ADL. The issue also exists in 3.87-2-g1f6a197bb.7z

It's a known bug, when i tested it i didn't make a full rebuild of the solution and somehow VS made a partial compilation. Seems there isn't any decent compiler on windows. Wohlstand is working on it and we'll do a 3.87a release this weekend. He says it's a bug in the library itself (infinite loop) and GZDoom is also affected but devbuilds are shipped with an older zmusic dll.

When that happens if you keep clicking the mouse win10 gives a message to terminate the app. You can also kill the process from task manager.

About the old RNG it was not good enough for advanced ZDoom features, ZDoom in the past used the Boom generator and then switched to SFMT becouse that one was not random enough. But i don't see much difference between the two in ZDoom, note that i barely played Boom back then since i was a Legacy player.

The problem is that a real RNG is not good enough to play Doom becouse the game plays differently and that was clearly underestimated, but ZDoom is not meant to play only Doom even when it's still the Doom engine as you know there are a lot of mods.

In LZDoom the old RNG is not used for scripting. Generators are created on the fly in ZScript so the old RNG is used for most things (unless specified), in other words you need a different declaration for the generators and to minimize changes i've only disabled the feature for the essential ones (it's still controlled by the compat flag of course).

In Zandronum it was used everywhere but that could cause problems or break mods.

But it's not a problem of "faithfulness" but rather that without it the game feels off and dull (mainly becouse of reduced damage), at least i can't play vanilla myself now without it enabled.

So no, don't expect this in GZDoom.

About myself you know the COVID situation is very bad in spain and the town where i live most likely will be confined in the next few days. My wife can't find a job either. There's a goverment subsidy but only 2% of applicants are receiving it (it's a bit of a scam, people from spain know what i'm talking about).

And i still suffer tinnitus but it's better now, seems it's permanent and that makes me feel depressed. Mainly a problem to study C++ but i can code with the radio on or hearing music (there are bad days and good days you know but the good days now are more, it's still here tough and from time to time i need a pill to sleep).

So thanks for your appreciation.

Excellent, what you guys do is pure wizardry!

I can relate to tinnitus challenges, and to my city being in shambles and not finding a lot of work in my field. I wish you the best!

Same here for the tinnitus issue as I suffer from that myself for over two years too. Including the inability to find a job, actually.

Thankfully though, I've been able to make a 90% recovery or so, but I still seem to get the occasional headache after staying around too much noise and they start slightly ringing. But, at least it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, good grief in that period everything made my ears ring like fucking crazy...

Hang in there drfrag.

Due to the bug with the non normalized full volume monster sounds i'll have to do another hotfix release, while i'm at it i've fixed the bunny scroller so please try the latest devbuild with the game_widescreen_gfx file included in the latest GZDoom release and report any problems you find (specially at 5:4 resolutions). Remember that the CVAR is autoloadwidescreen to test the normal gfx. But i won't include the widescreen gfx with this version of LZDoom. The sound sequences extension also needs testing (here or in GZDoom itself).
https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/