Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Doom 64 Community Project Poll.

Doom 64 - Community Project or No Community Project?  

44 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should we have a Doom 64 based Community Project?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If we have one, should it be Doom 64: Retribution based, or Doom 64 EX Based?

• Doom 64: Retribution
    • Doom 64 EX
  3. 3. If we have a Doom 64 Community Project, would you be willing to contribute?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/08/18 at 06:53 AM

Hey guys, here it is, the poll.

Discussion has taken place in this thread.

I just think that Doom 64 is a wonderful thing and should really get recognition and a mapping community, the engine is incredible.

In addition, if you are interested in mapping, please comment so. It will make it that much easier if this project gets decided on.

Edited by StevenC21

Did you mean Retribution or Absolution TC? I sure hope you didn't mean Absolution lol. Regardless, EX is still the preferable choice.

I haven't used DB64 to make maps yet but how hard can it be, right? The hardest thing will be the macro system but I've seen enough of it to understand the basics. I will see if I can make a basic map to start, maybe a MAP01 or MAP02.

I think the maps should be basic, stick to the level of detail and complexity as the original maps.

Of course I voted. Even if this project doesn't work out I still plan to make at least one map for EX. Hell, I can port them myself to Retribution once finished if everyone would be ok with that, just so everyone will be happy.

So just for clarification, the community project will be for Doom 64 EX, correct? And which editor will be used for modding?

Doom 64 EX.

You can use any compatible editor of course. I think I'm going to set up a VM, since SLADE3 is crashing for me when I try to run a map, sadly.

I don't know about 3. I WANT to contribute, but I don't think I'll have that much time (school and family). Plus, I'm not that good at making maps. I might need some help.

I can and will contribute, but I was wondering if people are willing to give me some help. I don't want to start from scratch since I still have some WIP/concept maps lying around, but I don't know if I'm motivated enough to finish all of them up. You can check a slightly older version of them here

If nobody wants to, I'll just polish and re-balance the more finished ones. They were balanced around a silly 1 new weapon per map gimmick.

I might be willing to contribute a map but only if it gets confirmed that enough other people want to make a map for this, since I don't want to contribute a map to a project that never takes off anyway. Are there even any rules/guidelines yet? I suggest this thread be used to discuss the rules/guidelines for the project and then once people agree that those should be that a new thread be created officially announcing the project and it's rules.

Hmm, I am vaguely interested in making a Doom 64 map, though at the same time I also don't really want to fight with the somewhat finicky DB2 mod for it. I kinda wonder if I can get away with blocking out the map in SLADE and then doing scripting and lighting with the DB2 fork. I'd be more comfortable that way, I think.

I'll contribute! I think there should be a quality/difficulty standard, similar to Doom64 itself. Nothing too far-fetched, silly, etc. Tech themed unless we get enough maps to do more, ya?

The only way I could even contribute to something like this is as a play tester. :P Otherwise, it would great to see more Doom 64 related goodness. :D

i literally just started playing the Doom 64 tc ! lol, i'm near the ending already and i think i have a pretty decent idea of what the doom 64 maps look and feel like.

i'm pretty basic when it comes to making maps, but i feel like i'm Decent with lighting effects.

here's a test level i made to demonstrate this:

lighting test.zip

(put me down for some maps too)

Edited by Thedoctor989

Put me down for a map. I understand enough about GZDoom Builder than I could start using GZDoom Builder 64 although I may need assistance. I'll also compose a few tracks, so PM if you want some Aubrey Hodges-esque dark ambient music.

Question: Is it permitted to implement things that the original engine couldn't do, such as slopes and 3D floors?

1 hour ago, iori said:

Tech themed unless we get enough maps to do more, ya? 

Any particular reason for this?

25 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Question: Is it permitted to implement things that the original engine couldn't do, such as slopes and 3D floors?

I thought this was going to be a Doom64 EX project.

I think we need a new thread, again. This is for Doom64EX. Others can start a GZJZDoom Retribution Outcast TC project if they want. No hard feelings.

@hardcore_gamer I don't see why not, I have already ripped those textures into a wad and used some of them in a map. However Doom64 textures were intended to be bland so you can apply the skillful use of colour... So if you think Doom64 is bland you may be barking up the wrong tree, no?

Alright guys. I am going to be announcing the project. Anyone who wants to make a map should comment on that thread.

Edit: Thread is here.