Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eric the Sandvich

Does anyone have the source for the Spider Masterminds 'Sight' sound?

I'm working on a personal project that requires that sound in a better quality, but I don't know the source of. Perkristan's sound pack isn't enough as it ends prematurely, and I don't want to resort to upsampling for barely any gain. The only "lead" i have is this quote from his website: The Spider Mastermind sight sound is found 100% accurate.

...which is nothing, and having to search what could be the entirety of Sound Ideas for 1 sound on slow internet is a no-go. If you would be gracious enough, it would help. 

I'm pretty sure it's just audio of a pig squealing. 

Why not ask Perkristan himself?

All monsters sounds are originaly from animals so as job said i think it could be pig too.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kb1 said:

Why not ask Perkristan himself?

I don't think he's active anymore. His last blog was in 2013, and his last time on doomworld was in 2017. Now that you mentioned it, I really should have just messaged him anyway to get a direct source for the sound, but at this point I don't think he'd respond. Ill try later if I still can't find the sound.

Or try to write to John Romero on twitter, maybe he still remember the source and he answer you.

Posted (edited)

Kinda funny how that bigass enemy is actually quieter than it's tiny Arachnotron kids. 

22 hours ago, Eric the Sandvich said:

I don't think he's active anymore. His last blog was in 2013, and his last time on doomworld was in 2017. Now that you mentioned it, I really should have just messaged him anyway to get a direct source for the sound, but at this point I don't think he'd respond. Ill try later if I still can't find the sound.

He had his own sound effects/music web page a few years back, linked to from DW posts. If you can find that thread, and the his site, maybe there's a more direct way to get your message through.

Posted (edited)

I have checked his website, I said so in the original post. I was surprised to even get a mention of that one sound effect.

Right now I think it's specifically a boar as I found one sound that sounded close to the Spider Mastermind but wasn't exactly it.

If the enemy's alert noises are made from animals, I am really curious what the fuck animal they got the sound of the Arch-Viles and Revenants from. 

They're not all from Sound Ideas, just most.

As for the arch-vile, it's been said that the death sound was a distorted clip of a child saying "why?".

12 hours ago, Gez said:

They're not all from Sound Ideas, just most.

As for the arch-vile, it's been said that the death sound was a distorted clip of a child saying "why?".

Oh great!  Now for the rest of time I'm gonna be constantly listening for that anytime I wreck an Arch-Vile.

Wow that's creepy as fuck. Now I need to create a minimod to give the Archvile the Keen death sound.

BTW did you know that Dracula in Castlevania 64 uses both a longer version of the Spiderdemon's death sound, and a version of the sound used by the Heretic Sabreclaw?

WoW Yeah i can hear it how he said "who are you" and other SM sounds. Hope id soft. got credited :)

1 hour ago, Marlamir said:

WoW Yeah i can hear it how he said "who are you" and other SM sounds. Hope id soft. got credited :)

Credit them for what? Using the same sound library?

This reminds me of when people hear familiar sound in movies and think it's a nod to Doom lol...

The Spider Mastermind almost sounds like it’s saying YOU IDIOT.

Speaking of that enemy, what's it's proper name in the Doom cannon?  Spider Mastermind or Spider Demon?  I hear it called both names and it drives me nuts!

I always assumed it was someone saying Where were you? with lots of effects added. Gave me the creeps thinking I was some sort of lost "play thing".

Posted (edited)

EDIT: Delete me please.

Edited by Vermil

Posted (edited)

In Doom it's called "the loathsome spiderdemon that masterminded the invasion of the moon bases" because it was not in the manual. It's the final boss, it was a surprise. With The Ultimate Doom, it was no longer a surprise, so it's introduced in the manual as The Spider Mastermind.

In Doom II it's called "the spider mastermind" in the cast call and in the manual.

The Doom Wiki went with "spiderdemon" because that was the first encountered name for it and back then Myk was adamant about using that instead of the longer spider mastermind term for this reason. I disagreed with that reasoning because the only place where "spiderdemon" is used is the end of episode victory text while the manuals and Doom II cast call refer to it as spider mastermind. Nowadays I don't really care either way, though. Honestly the real problem with "the spider mastermind" is that it implies there's just one, and we all know that's not true.

Also Doom 2016 refers to it only as the Spider Mastermind, so if there's an official name, it's that one. At this point, "spiderdemon" is more like a fan nickname.

13 hours ago, VGA said:

Credit them for what? Using the same sound library?

This reminds me of when people hear familiar sound in movies and think it's a nod to Doom lol...

Fair point.

On 10/6/2018 at 7:53 AM, Gez said:

Also Doom 2016 refers to it only as the Spider Mastermind, so if there's an official name, it's that one.

Yeah, just like they called the Demon a Pinky :P What's official and what isn't doesn't matter at this point.

Dude, I always thought the Mastermind sound was grinding machinery of some sort, not a squealing boar. Blew my mind a bit.