Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

Old Doom Habits Die Hard

On 10/2/2018 at 4:53 PM, bonnie said:

i strafe run in every game i play

haha. definitely this. now that's a doomer's habit that doesn't die.

and picking up every shitty bonus and hoarding plasma for the next big fight - and then exiting with hundreds of cells left.

Repeatedly jumping when I'm over nukage/lava/blood/whatever the damned map designer made hurt you when you walk over it.

Emptying too much ammo out into enemies.

Save scumming, particularly a lot of it. A lot.

💀 Get Doomguy angry via killing myself and resurrecting myself at the same time

💀 Teleport, but kill myself to make it seem like a teleport malfunction

💀 Blow up every barrel I see

💀 Make Doomguy angry for no reason by holding the alt fire key (or rather MOUSE 4)

💀 Check the automap constantly

💀 If switch is repeatable, I activate it constantly

Edited by Yuki Senmatsu

This is a common one I feel, but I always try to save Rockets and Cells for tough fights, and then when these fights come I just end up using SSG and Chaingun instead.

Resurrecting whilst there's a Cyberdemon rocket still gunning to hit my newly-animated corpse.

A.K.A. a solid 50% of my deaths on Ancient Aliens. The other 50% were from MAP18 alone.

Not sure how this always happens, but lately I have had a bad habit of always saving right as a Revenant is about to appear on screen.  I fucking hate dealing with those things! 

5 hours ago, Maser said:

Not sure how this always happens, but lately I have had a bad habit of always saving right as a Revenant is about to appear on screen.  I fucking hate dealing with those things! 

Revenants are the definition of glass cannons. Somewhat Low health but shockingly deadly melee and projectile power.

I get inspired constantly to create a new map, and then end up starting a new one and never finishing it, 90% of the time.

I've done this sort of thing over and over for 20 years.

In the end, I have created a lot of maps (usually DM) and released some of them, however I still have a bunch of incomplete maps lurking on my hdd's.

9 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Revenants are the definition of glass cannons. Somewhat Low health but shockingly deadly melee and projectile power.

I don't mind how powerful their projectile attack is, but it's the fact that they spam their homing projectiles that pisses me off.  I was once playing a map (forget which one) in Doom 2: Master Levels and it was in a very wide open area and a Revenant had fired it's homing attack and I killed it and I kid you not, that fucking thing chased me around for like 2 minutes before I eventually got it to hit a wall. 

13 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Revenants are the definition of glass cannons.

I feel like the chaingunners are a better definition of that term.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

I feel like the chaingunners are a better definition of that term.

The Heavy Weapon Dudes don't hit hard, it's just they hit many times very fast. 

3 hours ago, Maser said:

The Heavy Weapon Dudes don't hit hard, it's just they hit many times very fast. 

Well, they're glass machineguns then :P

they still have insane dps, that's what matters for a glass cannon. They either have insane burst or dps while not being able to withstand much punishment.

I remember playing some forgotten mapset that had very tight ammo. Ever since then, I've been stupidly frugal with ammo. Things like avoiding ammo even if it means wasting only one shot. Shoot an imp with a shotgun and it doesn't die? Take out the pistol and finish it off. 

Are other non-doom doom engine games allowed here? Because I just discovered one.

Not jumping in Hexen because you think it's cheating in Doom, and then wondering why the hell you can't get up this waist high ledge.

Guess it could apply to Doom maps that require it too, whatever.

I tend to „clear“ areas before I move on, usually running out of ammo along the way. Whilst watching Doom streams I noticed that many players just wildly run around the level and not immediately deal with everything that comes their way. There seems to be a focus on weapon upgrading and switchhunting.

But monsters scare me and I want them gone before opening more monster closets. ;_( Maybe I should just play Animal Crossing instead. 

Edited by elend : stupid me, typos!

@elend I usually clear areas before moving on as well, but if I see a metric shitton of enemies in front of me and I have little ammo, I sure as hell won't stop moving until I find an ammo cache or something.

I get extreme tunnel vision and only focus on what's immediately in front of me so I play pretty stupidly when facing large hordes of monsters or being attacked from multiple directions.

I have really stupid, random unguided movement that seems to let me catch more projectiles than I can dodge, especially for Revenant missiles which are extra difficult to dodge due to my continuous internal screaming when dealing with one.

I was never good at navigating maps, and would give up on any map that was larger than a certain point, but I only just started to improve once I stopped checking the automap obsessively and instead tried to remember the map layout as I went through it. A lot of the maps I had problems with were mostly solved by having to paintstakingly complete them and then memorise just what contrived sequence of events led to beating it.

always turning "buddha" on. after all, i am here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, not to die!