Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

Would love to know what you all think...

...despite the fact that I'm stubborn and probably just looking for praise.  Haha.  If I got some of the credits wrong in the description, please don't yell at me!  I'll fix it.  I borrowed a lot.

My map is a heavy edit of E1M1 that brings all the ambient lighting down to zero and makes it super creepy.  I use glowing flats, brightmaps and dynamic lights in various forms to make it navigable, and have changed other aspects of the level to add a layer of realism (switches for doors, reverb, etc.).  There are also some random additions that I put in just because. 

It's the first level of a megawad I plan to make this way.  There will be many, many things added in future levels.  It might get a bit spastic, but at least the next level will be a little harder than this one!  This one's super easy.  Hopefully what it lacks in difficulty it makes up for in sheer cool factor?  I mean, despite the fact that it's not totally from scratch.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/rabids-e1m1/downloads/e1m1

I assume that this is for GZDoom. I also assume that the new resources are included with the map, since you didn't reference anything else.

I haven't played the map, but these are my thoughts based on the screenshots:

The glowing red eyes look really good in the nearly total dark.

The lattice work over the windows contributes to a creepier, more claustrophobic feeling.

I don't like the way the hanging lights looks in this type of base. They seem more like an alien temple type of thing, not a tech/starbase type of thing.

The overhead lamps that create a cone of yellow light seem to fit better in this level.

Overall, it seems like it could be an interesting dynamic and could be very interesting for Hell levels. I think you could definitely create an oppressive vibe to levels like this (even the outdoor areas look duller and less vibrant), although that might eventually get to be a little much if you had to play through 27/32/36 levels of that. Or maybe not. I would be interested in seeing what else you do with this megawad.

I also suggest that you eventually move to making your own original work, not just heavily edit the iwad levels.