Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pegleg

DEH and BEX Editing for Macs

I use a Mac for mapping. I have been looking for a editing utility for DEH and BEX files that will work on Mac OS X. All I have managed to be able to find is a link to a rather suspicious looking website that claims to be a Mac OS X clone of WhackEd2. (I didn't even bother to download it to see. A dehacked editing program isn't worth potentially getting my family's computer full of viruses and malware and incurring my wife's wrath.)

So, my question is, while I can get a copy of someone else's DEH or BEX file and modify it in a text editor (which is what I've been doing), are there any such editing utilities that will work with OS X?

I know booting into a Windows environment is an option, but I'd rather not do that. Besides, I have a Windows laptop that I use for other things, so I can always just use it for utilities, although it's a bit inconvenient to have to move files back and forth. I should add that I am basically functionally illiterate when it comes to programming, so if the solution involves compiling my own binaries and whatnot, then I will likely have to say thank you but respectfully bow out. I know my limitations, and programming is one of them. So, a finished program is the type of thing I'm looking for.

It's been about 7 weeks with some views but no responses, so I wanted to bump this thread to bring it up to the top for some new eyes. I'm still curious to know if there are Mac versions of those utilities. Thanks!

I can't find such a thing on the WhackEd site, but that doesn't mean that Mac variation doesn't exist.

@exl will likely be able to help you find one, or, if that can't be done, produce one for you.

Theoretically WhackEd4 can be made MacOS compatible, and someone has contributed a patch to go in that direction in the past (see https://github.com/GitExl/WhackEd4/pull/5). But there are some UI issues with WhackEd4 it in it's current state according to the patch's author.

7 hours ago, exl said:

Theoretically WhackEd4 can be made MacOS compatible, and someone has contributed a patch to go in that direction in the past (see https://github.com/GitExl/WhackEd4/pull/5). But there are some UI issues with WhackEd4 it in it's current state according to the patch's author.

Thanks for the feedback.

@printz I noticed the link from exl (above) was from mid-2016. Was there ever any progress made getting it closer to being OSX-ready?