Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ramiel

The Mark of the Slayer supposedly revealed as a symbol of “a sword (crucible) stabbing down into flames (hell)”

1 hour ago, CreamCheese said:

ok so.. is he not a dimension travelling former USMC?

Why not?

2 hours ago, CreamCheese said:

ok so.. is he not a dimension travelling former USMC? damn it. I 

The mark’s meaning has no bearing on whether or not he is the original Doomguy (which he still is).

OK I was extremely skeptical of this, given that anybody could just fake a screenshot of a chat app. But then I found this earlier tonight:

Here's some direct conjectural comparison for fun:

UAC-slayer-mark.png.7c06c0c98e7b07ccbb16bed9a2034cb6.png

Or of course maybe the edges of the shield correspond to the lower parts, if you prefer.

Am I on to something here? Remember what happened to the UAC in Final Doom - it was repurposed into an organization with the explicit mission of fighting Hell:

After Hell's invasion of Earth, the United States took steps to prevent another such invasion. The old UAC was refounded under completely new management (the previous owners being deceased) and given a new mission: to research tools and technologies that could prevent Hell's resurgence.

UAC's scientists began work on quantum accelerator devices, machines intended to close interdimensional gates from a distance. The experiments are carried out in a secret research complex, with a stationed detachment of marines. The work seems to be going well, but...

The creatures from Outside have their dire attention drawn towards the new research. A gate opens in the heart of the complex and unnatural horrors pour out. The quantum accelerator performs superbly — the gate is quickly closed and the invasion stopped. Research continues more boldly.

This logo would seem to be from a UAC with just such a mission. The central sword stabs down through something resembling a gateway of sorts, into flames, where it strikes at the tip with force denoted by the streaks or sparks coming out. But hey, maybe I'm crazy :)

29 minutes ago, Quasar said:

This logo would seem to be from a UAC with just such a mission. The central sword stabs down through something resembling a gateway of sorts, into flames, where it strikes at the tip with force denoted by the streaks or sparks coming out. But hey, maybe I'm crazy :)

Nice find! I still believe Doom 2016 took place after Doom 64 (which was kinda Classic Doom 3). The lone marine who became a demon hunter in Doom 1-3 decided to stay in Hell after Doom 64. Considering hell being a timeless and universe covering dimension it might touch earth's timeline in different episodes. Thus the Doomslayer (Doom 2016) re-appeared in events which took place before/parallel Classic Doom 1s time. He could have even met himself.