Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

23 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Considering so many of D64'S maps use this trick to create more varied architecture, is this the only instance it's found in the PSX versions? I find it very interesting that, like D64, the PSX renderer ignores the "sky flooding" effect from PC. I wonder if any other console versions did this...

PSX Doom and Doom 64 shares the same modificated Jaguar_Doom engine. Before PSX all other consoles uses just the Jaguar_Engine (except GBA Doom 2 and SNES Doom). So, all other console versions can't do the things which Doom64 can. Even more, PSX Doom can't use Macros and extra-lighting parameters.

Once again, very interesting...but taking us back to the main topic: Is there documentation on how to implement room-over-room in DB64?

'Bout time!! I've been waiting for something like this for quite a while! I hope this will motivate other mappers and modders to create even more ambitious projects for D64EX.

If you guys are interested in custom music, I might try to make a couple of tracks, although I've never played around with the D64 soundfont, so I don't know if I would get good results.

And the white elephant... Is there any possibility of this being ported eventually to the real Doom 64? I don't know how's the state of console Doom 64 modding, but it would be a thing to at least consider, I suppose.

11 minutes ago, CoTeCiO said:

'Bout time!! I've been waiting for something like this for quite a while! I hope this will motivate other mappers and modders to create even more ambitious projects for D64EX.

If you guys are interested in custom music, I might try to make a couple of tracks, although I've never played around with the D64 soundfont, so I don't know if I would get good results.

And the white elephant... Is there any possibility of this being ported eventually to the real Doom 64? I don't know how's the state of console Doom 64 modding, but it would be a thing to at least consider, I suppose.

Indeed custom music would be nice. I never messed with the Doom 64 soundfont either, but if a non-midi version (eg. ogg/mp3) would be wanted I can help with that.

i was about to mention that, (no offense to Midway) but i feel like my map (the gates of hell) the music doesn't feel like it belongs, we would need something like Industrial ambience with some sinister riffs to really make a difference

if anyone is wondering here's the completed starting room:

map20.PNG

53 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Indeed custom music would be nice. I never messed with the Doom 64 soundfont either, but if a non-midi version (eg. ogg/mp3) would be wanted I can help with that.

Custom music won't work in EX. I explained this in another thread: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1923660

And non-midi music wouldn't work because the port doesn't support OGG/MP3/MOD/etc.

i guess then people are going to have to make the level's playthrough in response to how the music sounds (which honestly doesn't sound that bad.)

18 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

i guess then people are going to have to make the level's playthrough in response to how the music sounds (which honestly doesn't sound that bad.)

I don't see any problems here. Doom64 EX supports MAPINFO where you can choose midi music inside the wad. So Map12 can use Map30 music, it's not "hardcoded".

Anyway, that doesn't mean that nobody can do custom music for this. Just as @Impboy4 said - new midi music doesn't sounds like as intended, but it works...heh

I remember trying to add some random midi, and it working except the instruments were all wrong. I guess I'll have to try again because I don't think my memories are failing me here.

Edit: No, impboy said that music doesn't work at all.

4 minutes ago, Kore said:

Edit: No, impboy said that music doesn't work at all.

No, he said:

On 10/3/2018 at 5:46 AM, Impboy4 said:

it doesn't play properly.

That's the major difference.

BTW, I know what I'm talking about, this project is not the first D64 EX project. As I said earlier, I'm still working with my own mappack with custom music. And I've created it for my project. And regarding to words by Impboy4, this music doesn't play as I've created it.

But I explicitly said that if you compose for the soundfont, it should work. And I got that reply so I'm confused here.

7 minutes ago, Kore said:

But I explicitly said that if you compose for the soundfont, it should work.

Not really. That was impboy4 saying before.

You're doing your track - in editor it sounds like you've planned. But ingame it sounds different. Sometimes really different. Reason? Unknown reason.

58 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

okay, what do you think would make it better?

Problem I have with that room are mostly 2 things:

1. Too much red. Add more colors.

2. Geo is too simple. It's basically just a straight corridor with a pair of steps on each side. 

3. It's probably too long, though this might not be as bad if you spiced up the area to make it more visually interesting.

2 hours ago, Velvetic said:

That would be a case in which you need to learn how to use the macros.

http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Macros

The effect is mostly made up of "Floor_MoveByValueInstant" and "Ceiling_MoveByValueInstant".

The result looks something like this (for a 3d bridge)

#bridgewalkunder
macro 1
{
Ceiling_SetHeight(10, 512);
Ceiling_SetHeight(11, 512);
Ceiling_SetHeight(12, 512);
Ceiling_SetHeight(13, 512);
Ceiling_SetHeight(14, 512);
Ceiling_SetHeight(15, 512);
Wait;
Sector_CopyLights(10, 20);
Sector_CopyLights(11, 21);
Sector_CopyLights(12, 22);
Sector_CopyLights(13, 23);
Sector_CopyLights(14, 24);
Sector_CopyLights(15, 25);
Sector_CopyTextures(10, 20);
Sector_CopyTextures(11, 21);
Sector_CopyTextures(12, 22);
Sector_CopyTextures(13, 23);
Sector_CopyTextures(14, 24);
Sector_CopyTextures(15, 25);
Floor_SetHeight(10, 40);
Floor_SetHeight(11, 72);
Floor_SetHeight(12, -160);
Floor_SetHeight(13, 40);
Floor_SetHeight(14, 40);
Floor_SetHeight(15, 72);
}

#bridgewalkover
macro 2
{
Ceiling_SetHeight(10, -16);
Ceiling_SetHeight(11, -32);
Ceiling_SetHeight(12, 72);
Ceiling_SetHeight(13, 72);
Ceiling_SetHeight(14, 512);
Ceiling_SetHeight(15, 512);
Wait;
Sector_CopyLights(10, 30);
Sector_CopyLights(11, 31);
Sector_CopyLights(12, 32);
Sector_CopyLights(13, 33);
Sector_CopyLights(14, 34);
Sector_CopyLights(15, 35);
Sector_CopyTextures(10, 30);
Sector_CopyTextures(11, 31);
Sector_CopyTextures(12, 32);
Sector_CopyTextures(13, 33);
Sector_CopyTextures(14, 34);
Sector_CopyTextures(15, 35);
Floor_SetHeight(10, -160);
Floor_SetHeight(11, -160);
Floor_SetHeight(12, -160);
Floor_SetHeight(13, -160);
Floor_SetHeight(14, -160);
Floor_SetHeight(15, -160);
}

Sectors outlined in this screenshot:

image.png

All the brown/green linedefs have an upper AND lower texture of "blank" on the front (except for the top and bottom green lines).  Once you confirm everything is working, you'll want to change grid size to 1x1 and move the vertices of those hidden linedefs as close to a regular linedef as possible, so that the sectors are basically 1-pixel wide slivers.

What you don't see is that I have two copies of this setup in a "junk" sector.  One for walk-under, one for walk-over.  Lighting and textures are different for both, so you use the "copylights" and "copytextures" as needed.  The macros need to be triggered in a spot where the player can't actually see the change take place, for obvious reasons.  Like around a corner or whatever.

You'll need to make sure that you have a "Wait" between the ceiling moves and floor moves, otherwise one or the other won't complete properly.  Not sure if that's a bug or just how it is...

Also, make sure that you block enemies from moving about either under or over, otherwise if the macros are triggered while the enemy is inside a changing sector, the change won't complete and you'll be left with a buggy, untextured mess.

Edited by Antnee

Re: music, you can make new MIDIs, provided you download the DOOMSND soundfont and write your MIDIs using that as a reference (as those are the sounds the game will use to interpret your MIDI data with).

There are a few big problems with it though - they may have solutions, but I haven't put a lot of time into solving them :)

• Tempo - seems much slower in-game. could be an easy fix - work out how much slower, and speed up your track after writing to compensate
  • Some samples do not trigger, some do not register 'note ends' and so linger much longer than intended - this might take a bit longer to work out why things aren't working properly and what to do to fix them.

Here is an example track I wrote using the DOOM64 soundfont. This is what it sounds like in my DAW:
https://clyp.it/1gdjd1tt

And this is what it sounds like in-game. you can hear some of the problems:

https://clyp.it/3pgdabvt

With regards to non-midi files, iirc you can't use them in DOOM64EX

i thought of a fun little thing we could do as a bonus map (a secret of course) what if we recreated the first level of Commander Keen in doom 64, but it's in first person!

(although i don't know if you could add Decorate items to doom 64) 

16 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

(although i don't know if you could add Decorate items to doom 64) 

The answer is simple - you can't.

Maybe you'll read about Doom 64 EX modding before asking?

Oh I see. Yeah, it wouldn't make sense if adding new music was impossible. Please tell us when you find out the problem.

2 hours ago, Thedoctor989 said:

Decorate

That's a ZDoom and derivatives thing only. But it's not like there's much to read about D64EX modding.

I don't understand the macros or the one tutorial I found for getting switches to work, but I'm hoping to get some progress done this week.

10 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I don't understand the macros or the one tutorial I found for getting switches to work, but I'm hoping to get some progress done this week.

You can think of them as being like linedef actions are are activated one after another.

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

what specifically are you trying to do?

28 minutes ago, Antnee said:

what specifically are you trying to do?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I've been envisioning my map idea and so far it doesn't look like it'll require any macros.

Getting switches to work can be fiddly  - I would recommend looking at the Doom64 maps in the editor, or at Antnee or my maps from the Doom64EX forum - look at how our switches are set up. 

Or you can watch this tutorial:

Spoiler

Not sure if I understand why he draws a thin sector and raises it behind where the switch goes. It is entirely not needed. You can use the back wall itself to set up a switch.

I guess the only reason why it might be desired is because of how Doom 64 actually draws the switch, it floats out from the wall by a couple units. So that thin sector would make up for the gap, but regardless it still seems like unnecessary extra work just for a simple switch.