Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Starting room. I'm getting the hang of the lighting system.

It is pretty nice once you know what you're doing. @Antnee gave great advice, take notice of how the original levels frequently made the floors and ceilings darker than the lower and upper wall colors, and vice-versa. It helps immensely with contrast and depth. Try to avoid having the floor/ceiling the exact same intensity as lower/upper. It's also a good idea to do thing color last once you are satisfied with the room colors.

Also I would suggest to avoid sharp color changes unless that is your goal (i.e. do dark blue to lighter blue but never do bright pink to bright green).

I want to do the MAP14 slot. It's a remake of one of my levels from my WAD, Retribution Dawns.

Edited by RileyXY1

Does anyone know how to get teleports to work, they seem to function differently from Doom 2 mapping?

1 hour ago, Bob9001 said:

Does anyone know how to get teleports to work, they seem to function differently from Doom 2 mapping?

You tag the teleport destination thing instead of the sector it's in.

On 10/9/2018 at 10:36 PM, HexenMapper said:

Re: music, you can make new MIDIs, provided you download the DOOMSND soundfont and write your MIDIs using that as a reference (as those are the sounds the game will use to interpret your MIDI data with).

There are a few big problems with it though - they may have solutions, but I haven't put a lot of time into solving them :)

• Tempo - seems much slower in-game. could be an easy fix - work out how much slower, and speed up your track after writing to compensate
  • Some samples do not trigger, some do not register 'note ends' and so linger much longer than intended - this might take a bit longer to work out why things aren't working properly and what to do to fix them.

I asked about that. It turns out each midi channel is treated as a separate track, and each one can loop on it's own.

Is that helpful? Or is there something more you would need to know?

Hmm that's interesting, but may not help that much. You could try the attached track in a map and see if it sounds like the original in the post you quoted.

I can't even get Doom64 to run properly at the moment otherwise I'd test it myself.

D64T.zip

I don't think Doom 64 EX has any sort of "TITLEPIC" per se. I know it has the "EVIL" graphic which you see on the main menu and intermissions.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a way to change the menu graphic without also changing the others, or if replacing the EVIL graphic has any effect on the menu (can't test currently).

I might suggest a MAP33 replacement to show this off as a simple camera sequence.

i already have the map set up (i made a map for this and then photoshopped the huds and weapon out of the picture, here's the map if you guys would like to make it into the titlemap for the main menu:

title.zip

also wrote a possible script for the titlemap:

titlescreen script.zip

Edited by Thedoctor989 : links added

Didn't tested your map, but as far as I can see by the picture - this map is TOO SIMPLE. I mean, if we want to create an intro for the Community Project Based on powers of Doom 64 engine - the intro map must be extremely badass, especially in design meaning. Your design is just an "Doom 2 Map 01 Outdoor area", heh.

Even the strange TC "Console Doom 64" used a better titlemap.

UPD: And yes, please stop use this font for the subname. It doesn't even suit the style.

i just made this as like a promo for the project, just something fun, but if someone else thinks they can use my idea as a base then go right ahead and make the best title map you can!

Made some progress with this church-like interior. Doom 64 is very interesting in that it lets you paint environments with light. I also really like the scroll flags, I have these green recesses scrolling upwards and it looks very sinister in-game.

sshot003.png

Can we add a mirrored version of this texture to the resource pack? Otherwise it's not very viable as a midtexture since it has no backside.

2018-10-14 17_01_49-Window.png

4 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

Can we add a mirrored version of this texture to the resource pack? Otherwise it's not very viable as a midtexture since it has no backside.

2018-10-14 17_01_49-Window.png

Use the "H mirror" linedef flag.

7 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

This is very basic. Are these your first mapping attempts?

I think so:

On 10/10/2018 at 6:29 PM, Thedoctor989 said:

im new to all this

BTW

7 hours ago, Thedoctor989 said:

Here is what i think would be a interesting layout for the doom 64 titlemap:

Hahaha, now you made it like "Xbox Map 33" in hellish style:

AvUz7Gll.png

Please, no. Let someone else do the titlemap. It's THE TITLE. Come on, you're making this map as simple square. Why? Doom 64 is the game with simple box rooms? So why do you make it looks like this?

6 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

So what is the default / standard brightness level in D64 EX? Lowest, medium, or brightest?

Everytime I open the settings after getting D64EX ready I see it set to the maximum.

16 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Made some progress with this church-like interior. Doom 64 is very interesting in that it lets you paint environments with light. I also really like the scroll flags, I have these green recesses scrolling upwards and it looks very sinister in-game.

Spoiler

sshot003.png

Nice use of colors!

Damn, you're right. Now all my stuff looks brighter than intended. What a blunder.

In what instances would you use the "No Occlusion" flag instead of just lowering a surrounding sector with a sky texture to the line you want to occlude?

I don't think there should be some strict requirements in regards to quality control for the levels. But to be honest I do think there should be at least a little bit of it. I don´t think its a good idea to include noob maps where every room is just a half-empty box.