Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

25 minutes ago, Kore said:

Damn, you're right. Now all my stuff looks brighter than intended. What a blunder.

Everyone's maps will probably be too bright at default brightness, really. I am mapping at halfway bright myself currently. Once we get most of the maps done, we can find a "suggested brightness" range and put it into a readme file or something.

1 minute ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I don't think there should be some strict requirements in regards to quality control for the levels. But to be honest I do think there should be at least a little bit of it. I don´t think its a good idea to include noob maps where every room is just a half-empty box.

It should be somewhat obvious if a map is "too bad to include." There are certain standards of a good/decent level that can be required to be kept in. I imagine simply referring to the quality of the original maps is enough of a "test."

I don't know what you mean, but you use the no occlusion flag to make visible what the game tries to hide.

For example, these little towers are in their own sector, separated from the map, and normally wouldn't be visible if I didn't make the walls on front non occluding.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

I am currently doing some work on a Quake map so I probably wont start work on my map anytime soon. But the deadline is in december so its probably no big deal. I will probably start work on it about 2 or so weeks before the deadline.

I think the default brightness/gamma is 0. On a nice monitor in a dark room it looks like Doom64 on the N64, unless you guys meant something else.

And I agree, some very nice screenshots here.

6 hours ago, GoatLord said:

In what instances would you use the "No Occlusion" flag instead of just lowering a surrounding sector with a sky texture to the line you want to occlude?

My personal rule of thumb is to just play the map, see what's being clipped, then add no occlusion flags as needed.

You *can* just add it to every linedef in the map, but it fucks with the automap.  It just draws everything in your field of view.  Some might not care about that, but apparently I'm a weirdo for cleaning up my automap, so whatevs.

Probably the only attempt thus far at a forest in Doom 64.

EDIT: Picture sure seems a lot darker than in-game...

sshot010.jpg

Edited by GoatLord

I did some forested areas in my Earth mapset (on the doom64ex forums) - using animated linedefs to make the trees gently sway in the breeze... Not as full blown forest as what you have there though, more like rural outskirts.

The trees looked like this:

Spoiler

9WtQimC.png
qPYGU34.png

Edited by HexenMapper

Here's some early screenies of Map31.

Also I have got a name in mind! I'll be calling this map: Constrict.

Screenies:

Spoiler

Map31-Bluekey1.jpg.328d717af9fadcb3ece4fa0b4604d76d.jpg

Map31-hallway.jpg.1fed0a49a95ce654c0edffef53ef8036.jpg

Map31-Redkey1.jpg.1c1c36034770c42a608dad839acb19ba.jpg

Map31-Redkey2.jpg.851789f88fa8f4598977b07f8f1a24eb.jpg

6 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Is it possible to create gzdoom style 3D floors?

Not really, no. Doom 64's engine does allow for room-over-room effects via macros, so you could for instance build a suspension bridge or have overlapping, enclosed stairs. You can also have midtexture gated floors suspended over areas as well. But there's no convenient 3D floor trickery other than the suspended beams and occlusion tricks. You'd have to map using UDMF and the Retribution resource if you wanted access to GZDoom features.

Ah that's a shame. One of the major disadvantages of classical Doom mapping (which I consider Doom 64 mapping to be a part of) is that it's often very hard to create a strong sense of location without being able to create any detail. The level design of classic Doom is too abstract for my taste.

45 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

it's often very hard to create a strong sense of location without being able to create any detail.

3D Floors aren't the only method to detail your levels, you just gotta be creative.

As long as you don't have see two flats on top of each other at the same time, everything is possible.

@GoatLord 
1. Make a sector around the powerup (just for the linedefs)

2. Create a dummy sector with your desired color scheme

3. Tag both the dummy and actual sector (with different numbers of course)

4. Write a macro using either "Sector_CopyLights(dsttag, srctag)" or "Sector_CopyLightsAndInterpolate(dsttag, srctag)"

5. Use the linedefs around the powerup to trigger the macro

That is how I would do it, there's probably an easier way.

3 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

@Bob9001 Don't forget to create your secret exit to MAP32!

Ah right of course, I think have 3 areas left to do but I don't know I'm doing that yet. It took me like 10 hours to do the red key area hahah.

2 hours ago, Velvetic said:

@GoatLord 
1. Make a sector around the powerup (just for the linedefs)

2. Create a dummy sector with your desired color scheme

3. Tag both the dummy and actual sector (with different numbers of course)

4. Write a macro using either "Sector_CopyLights(dsttag, srctag)" or "Sector_CopyLightsAndInterpolate(dsttag, srctag)"

5. Use the linedefs around the powerup to trigger the macro

That is how I would do it, there's probably an easier way.

There is a much cleaner way of doing it.  By tagging the item itself, you can trigger a linedef (with a macro) to do it.  No surrounding trigger linedefs required.

In fact, if you want an example, I did it in the map I did for the project.  Look at the blue armor (which is tagged 333, and flagged as "trigger on touch")

There is a linedef in my "junk" sector where I keep all my special macro linedefs- the linedef is also tagged as 333, and it's type is Macro 7.

Macro 7 reads as follows:

macro 7
{
Sector_CopyLights(35, 333);
}

Sector 35 is where the blue armor sits (it has a slight blue glow to simulate the armor itself giving off light).  Sector 333 is right next to it, and is lit like everything else around it.  Touch the armor, blue glow goes away.  The original game does this a lot.

I purposefully put a lot of special macro shit in there, so folks would have a live example of what you can do.

Does anyone know how to increase the speed you move in 3D mode in the editor, it's as slow as a snail compared to DB2 etc.

3 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

Does anyone know how to increase the speed you move in 3D mode in the editor, it's as slow as a snail compared to DB2 etc.

Tools/Preferences/Interface tab/Move speed