Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

3 minutes ago, Nevander said:

But if regular Doom ever got up to "Community Chest 64" we would have an awkward situation. I think personally Doom 64 Community Chest (#1?) is still better.

But, a nice situation to be in nonetheless :)

20 minutes ago, Nevander said:

But if regular Doom ever got up to "Community Chest 64" we would have an awkward situation. I think personally Doom 64 Community Chest (#1?) is still better.

At the current release rate for the Community Chest series it will be well over 100 years til we get to that point, so I think it’s worth it. “Doom sixty four Community Chest number one” is several mouthfuls. It doesn’t matter much at the end of the day though.

36 minutes ago, Nevander said:

The same could be said about Doom 64 itself. And I doubt that Community Chest would get a 64th release in the series, even if it does, it'll probably be 30/40+ years in the future.

Plus, I agree with @Antnee, Community Chest 64 does "roll off the tongue nicely".

Hey I'm interested in this, what textures are you all using for consistency purposes?  Also, what's the general theme/story for this if there is one?

I'd like to reserve a level spot too, preferably 19 or 20.

Edited by STILES

@STILES as we argued before, there pretty is no basic premise, (kinda like half my wads!)

also i've seen a lot of doom 64 projects recently, did we somehow respark doom 64 ex's interest? or are people just wanting something for halloween?

(it seems it was getting notice after we posted stuff)

Edited by Thedoctor989

Are we allowed to add our own custom textures? I want to add a recolored BLOOD texture because the one in D64 is for some reason purple (Nintendo censorship?) won't replace any of the existing textures and won't stray from the aesthetic of D64, It's just a quick texture recolor, I can't use different lighting just to affect the texture color in the editor because reasons so I hope we are allowed to do so.

24 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Are we allowed to add our own custom textures? I want to add a recolored BLOOD texture because the one in D64 is for some reason purple (Nintendo censorship?) won't replace any of the existing textures and won't stray from the aesthetic of D64, It's just a quick texture recolor, I can't use different lighting just to affect the texture color in the editor because reasons so I hope we are allowed to do so.

What reasons are those?  That's the simplest way to do it...

I want to change the color of some sectors around it but still don't want to affect the color of the texture too much.
EDIT: actually nevermind, I just drew some more sectors around them with very small linedefs lengths and kept the original colors in it, seems to work fine.

If custom textures are to be used then they should be used by everyone to insure consistency. I don't think it's a good idea for just individual users to use their own custom textures.

obviously I wasn't going to stray from the aesthetic of the game, I was just about to add a custom texture that actually looks like BLOOD, but this is solved in a much easier way now so whatever.

6 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Doom 64's texture set is really lacking when it comes to gore/viscera. 

I agree.  I started working on some "skin" textures using existing assets, but they're really not worth releasing.

That's why I added a gray liquid texture, so you could color it any way you wanted.

Regarding adding new textures, what's the problem? Consistency is not really an argument. My maps use solely vanilla textures. Do you think other maps will clash with it for using new textures?

Dunno, I thought one of this project's rules was to keep the feel of the level as close to the original game as possible so I was kinda hesitant about adding custom textures that look out of place.

So you were planning to add textures that looked out of place? Anyway, if you can make them work, nobody should care.

Just set the floor color to a red shade. It will alter the tint of the blood and will look red.

As an example, I made a classic Doom blue carpet texture by simply setting only the floor color to blue and found a nice "carpet looking" one to use it with.

1 hour ago, Thedoctor989 said:

i feel like we should add maybe a flesh hell, we need the viscera and gore for proper hell levels 

Agreed, especially more blood walls and floors.

To insure more consistent pacing, do you think there should be rules on regards to which monsters and weapons can appear on which maps? Like say no barons before map09, or no BFG before the mid-game?

One of the downsides of community projects like this is inconsistent pacing and difficulty curve. Perhaps rules like this could prevent that?

On the topic of consistency, I think we need to be very considerate about which textures (if any) we're adding since we already we included the one approved resource. I'd really like it if we had some gore textures to work with, but it might take away from the spirit of modding Doom 64 in a more "traditional" manner.

7iVd3jh.png

Decided to start work on the map during this weekend since I was bored and wasn't really in the mood for working on my other mods and/projects. Only basic layout is done so far.

Good thing we can rearrange the order of the maps according to difficulty. No need to adhere to the slot you have.

30 minutes ago, Kore said:

Good thing we can rearrange the order of the maps according to difficulty. No need to adhere to the slot you have.

Yea I guess we should do:

Easy techbase to hard techbase, then easy hell to hard hell.

Just a quick update, I'm slowly getting through the lighting. Should have an updated map in the next few days.