Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

2 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

Titlepic? Instead of previous. I've used the Doomworld.com palette.

It looks great but I might suggest using the Doom 64 font instead.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

It looks great but I might suggest using the Doom 64 font instead.

Hmm, right...

nUg21tV.png

\m/

Title: Corrupted Entry

Map slot: MAP17

Other files required: d64ex_dwcmp_resources.wad

Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative & Deathmatch: none
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: about 3 weeks on and off.
Editor(s) used: Doom 64 Builder and SLADE
Tested With: Doom 64 Ex

IWAD: DOOM64.WAD

Compatibility: Doom 64

Secret Count: 4

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbps5j9nuk3l9xq/MAP17.zip?dl=0

Spoiler

sshot001.png

In regards to the new logo. I like it, but by this point I think we have set on our logo.

I don't know if the following is allowed, but I'll do it anyway. Mods can remove at their discretion. 'Like' this post if you think the name should be changed. If I get 5+ likes I will use the new proposed one.

Guys, I think I'm gonna have to pull out of my second slot.  This map just got too weird, and it's plain not-fun.  Not gonna submit something subpar.  sorry!  I'll do some reviews in the coming days though.

And it's done. It has difficulty settings and doesn't require any additional resources.

I tested it, but as always, there might be bugs or balance issues. The map is a bit long so remember to save just in case.

I don't think an early slot would fit it well. It has a transitioning into hell theme so putting it in the middle would fit.

sshot005.png

Edited by Kore

On 12/17/2018 at 1:38 PM, tempdecal.wad said:

Reveal hidden contents

sshot001.png

Played some of this level just now.

* VERY good lighting and color schemes

* Layout is nice

* Good mix of enemies with good placement

But I couldn't get very far because

* Literally not a single medkit in the entire map, and a total of 10 stimpacks (none of which I actually found)

image.png.15aa225a019289d1aa23c0fe1409533a.png

Some other notes:

* You can get stuck in that little "waterfall pit" below the ledge where you get the blue key.  Super annoying if you have a lot of radiation suit time left.

* I like the opening area a lot, but I think the lit up areas need to be brighter.

* You can see the bottom of the skybox when looking out the windows.

* There are some misaligned textures, usually above the door frames.

I think this is a solid map that needs some balance tweaks (oh god please more health).  Still lots of time to get er done!

Edited by Antnee

I thought the level was very easy even on "Watch me die", medkits are actually available on easy difficulty :P (stimpacks), and the level gets a lot easier if you find the secrets, but I'll see what I can do, Thanks for letting me know!

2 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

I thought the level was very easy even on "Watch me die", medkits are actually available on easy difficulty :P (stimpacks), and the level gets a lot easier if you find the secrets, but I'll see what I can do.

There are literally no medkits.  The screenshot I took was doombuilder find and replace mode... so maybe you uploaded the wrong copy?

And remember, you made the map.  Of course you think it's too easy... I fall into that "trap" myself.

1 minute ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Here, there are no large medkits but there are stimpacks. 

* Literally not a single medkit in the entire map, and a total of 10 stimpacks (none of which I actually found)

Perfectly willing to accept that my opinion may be in the minority, but a total of 100 (non-secret) health in a map- especially one with a PE arena- is way, way too low.

Yeah, the difficulty curve in your map is all over the place. It goes from easy to pretty tough abruptly. Also, I think the crusher was a bit cheap. There's no way I could see it coming. I'd put the health in the tough areas themselves, so you've got some leniency instead of having mistakes piling up into a situation you can't get out of.

edit:

You really love pain elementals.

Other nitpicks. The stones on the blood in the red hallway have the liquid flag. The lava in the pain elemental room doesn't have the liquid flag. Rising bars have a sector for each bar so it's loud when they raise. There was no indication I could fall to the abyss in the last room. And I feel like the map encourages me to skip some fights.

It's funny that the most health was in the last room, which I found pretty easy.

Edited by Kore

1 hour ago, Kore said:

You really love pain elementals.

Cacodemons and Barons felt too bulletspongy and unnecessarily dragged the fights for too long without offering real challenge, I had to use them.

8 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Cacodemons and Barons felt too bulletspongy and unnecessarily dragged the fights for too long without offering real challenge, I had to use them.

Pain Elementals have the same health as Cacodemons(400) and spew out Lost Souls. One thing that you seem to fail to account for is that Lost Souls in Doom 64 are insanely aggressive and it's incredibly easy to get overwhelmed by them.

hate the Doom 64 lost souls. They deal too much damage.

They fixed the health issue that Doom 2 had. That, at least, was a refreshing experience.

Just now, StevenC21 said:

hate the Doom 64 lost souls. They deal too much damage.

They fixed the health issue that Doom 2 had. That, at least, was a refreshing experience.

The damage they deal is unchanged(3-24), the issue is how frequently they attack.

4 hours ago, SteelPH said:

Lost Souls in Doom 64 are insanely aggressive and it's incredibly easy to get overwhelmed by them.

I'm not sure I can do much about the difficulty, I feel satisfied with it right now, I'll add some more medkits on easy and medium within the tough areas but otherwise I'm happy with it.

(and yes I'll raise the crusher a little bit to give player some more time to react)

14 hours ago, Kore said:

I feel like the map encourages me to skip some fights.

Intentional, it's entirely possible to beat the level without visiting some areas, they're there for people who like to go out of the way, I tried making them interconnected so they're not entirely divorced from the rest of the level

14 hours ago, Kore said:

Rising bars have a sector for each bar so it's loud when they raise.

They're not, they're all 1 sector.

EDIT: Updated, same link.

• Aligned some textures.
  • Raised the window in the first room to fix being able to see the bottom of sky.
  • Increased the brightness of the glowing pillars in the beginning of the level.
  • Made it more obvious which areas are walkable in the last room.
  • Added and removed liquid flags from some sectors.
  • Added more medkits and stimpacks on easy and medium difficulty.
  • Made the crushers after the Red door start moving a little sooner so as not to confuse the player.

sshot000.png

Edited by tempdecal.wad

6 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

They're not, they're all 1 sector.

Not the ones that lead to the blue key.

Bit of an issue. I recently got a new computer (hence a lack of updates on my part) but Builder.exe doesn't want to run in Windows 10. Any suggestions on a fix?

Since there's high demand of maps being filled in this project: I suggest extending the deadline indefinitely.  This is pretty much going to be a megawad if more slots are filled.