Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

I will finish my map tomorrow. I added a small extra area that wasn't in the original and wil also add some minor improvements such as aligning textures better and maybe adding a few extra details here and there. You can expect the map to be uploaded sometime next evening.

Unless the deadline is extended again, or removed, I will need to withdraw too. I just have not had time or desire lately to work on my map. I do want to finish it, but just not now.

We ought to just keep working at this until we have a full mapset. I think we could get it out within the next couple of months. It's more important that we take time to complete this than worry about a specific deadline, but we cannot let this project die. Doom 64 needs love!

Been watching this develop. I have a map 75% complete. Would love to contribute it, if it’s good enough and there’s enough time to finish it.

1 hour ago, SteelPH said:

The deadline really should just be "when it's done." We don't always have free time to do this.

A whole month for a single map is more than enough time. Honestly people here are just being lazy. If they were never serious in the first place they should not have asked for a mapslot because it just means said map won't be worked on by other people who were actually serious about making a map thus leading to wasted time.

As for my own map, I did some more work on it today and it probably won't be finished until tomorrow. Thankfully the deadline is january 1st so I still have one more day. Pretty much all that is left for the map now is some polishing and perhaps a few extra details here and there. Otherwise it's fully finished.

11 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

A whole month for a single map is more than enough time. Honestly people here are just being lazy. If they were never serious in the first place they should not have asked for a mapslot because it just means said map won't be worked on by other people who were actually serious about making a map thus leading to wasted time.

Haha, this is heavy. Would you please just go fuck yourself instead of judging us, "lazy people"?

5 minutes ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

Haha, this is heavy. Would you please just go fuck yourself instead of judging us, "lazy people"?

I am just being honest. If somebody invites you to join their project then you should not demand a mapslot for yourself (which could have been taken by another more serious mapper) if you don't believe there is a high chance of you actually finishing the map.

Yes I understand that people have lives to worry about, but that doesn't reduce the validity of my point. People should only demand a mapslot if they believe they will actually have the time and desire to finish the map. Otherwise they are merely wasting everybody else's time.

Half true. Those standards needed to be posted up front.

Considerations:

1). Project Leader who's never led a project before

2). Lots of new mappers who for some reason decide to make their first map for Doom64EX ;)

3). Project has a lack of mappers vs mapslots available

4). Look at other community projects for realistic development times vs. this one.

So far the rules have been arbitrary and that's fine, but expectations will then have to be managed.

58 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

This isn't a job, somethings mapping doesn't go well, sometimes real life goes in the way, other times you underestimate the time it will take you to make something, other times you aren't satisfied with the work done. Obviously if you claim a slot it's because you have interest, and you think you could deliver something, but sometimes things don't go well, and why not other times people interest changes over time. Considering D64 format is different from making a regular doom map, i suppose plenty of people must have underestimate that.

To just call out people lazy because they weren't able to make a map in a month (let alone be a good map or not) it's a gross simplification of things and that claim just comes of as if you're just looking to pat yourself on the back just because you "delivered a map and they didn't"

1 hour ago, DMPhobos said:

This isn't a job

A certain minimum amount of professionalism should be expected regardless of you are just doing this as a hobby or for fun.

Yeah, not to pile on but a "good" D64 map can take a long time to finish especially if you've never mapped for EX at all.  Just the introduction of color theory alone can throw people for a loop- regular doom mapping is just adjusting brightness.  Then there's macros...

A deadline only makes sense if there's some purpose to it.  You'll never get motivation out of people just by setting a clock in front of them.

This project has good stuff coming from it.  Even if the deadline passes, I still think we'd all like work to continue, yeah?

12 hours ago, Antnee said:

Yeah, not to pile on but a "good" D64 map can take a long time to finish especially if you've never mapped for EX at all.  Just the introduction of color theory alone can throw people for a loop- regular doom mapping is just adjusting brightness.  Then there's macros...

Doom 64 mapping isn't considerably different from regular Doom mapping. There are few new things to consider but otherwise it's mostly just the same. And macros are just dumbed down scripting that's even more simple than ACS is. The Doom 64 wiki which the OP links to at the start of the thread also contains lots of information on how to use macros.

12 hours ago, Antnee said:

A deadline only makes sense if there's some purpose to it.  You'll never get motivation out of people just by setting a clock in front of them.

This project has good stuff coming from it.  Even if the deadline passes, I still think we'd all like work to continue, yeah?

The problem with this mentality is that it risks a Duke Nukem Forever scenario where nothing gets done causing the projects to drag on forever. There are always going to be people who will promise to get things done "soon" only to never actually produce anything. Even if deadlines should not be super strict, there should still be deadlines in order to prevent this. I also disagree that deadlines don't encourage mappers, since many may have already invested work into a map and don't want to lose it all by not being able to submit their map on time.

EDIT: Shit I know this is going to make me sound like a hypocritical son of a bitch but I won't be able to finish the map until tomorrow because I forgot I have to spend most of the evening away from my computer because of a new years eve party :/

Edited by hardcore_gamer

Sorry for not uploading this on time. I was at a new years eve party last night and was hungover all day lol.

But in any case it's ready now. Here is the finished version (the texture pack isn't included in the download btw). It has some new details here and there compared to the last version, a single new area has been added to the map that wasn't there last time, and there have been few balance changes such the addition of some more shotgun ammo to make things a bit easier in the later parts of the map. The rails near the arachnotron fight will also lower now so that they can shoot at you better.

Well I hope you enjoy the finished map! Happy new years!

EDIT: I'm assuming we are allowed to name our maps? In that case I am calling my map "Reactor maintenance".

HGmap06.zip

It's been 4 days since the deadline was reached and yet the OP hasn't even replied to the thread or updated his OP since then. Is he still paying attention to the project?

2 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

It's been 4 days since the deadline was reached and yet the OP hasn't even replied to the thread or updated his OP since then. Is he still paying attention to the project?

Last visited  December 28, 2018.

I suppose he's been busy these days considering he's not visited DW since December. It was a pretty interesting project honestly, so I hope we'll see more in the future, Doom 64 needs more love, and so does PSX Doom (luckily GEC is out now).

Just give the guy a few more days. Considering how interested he was about the idea, it'd be surprising if he abandoned the project just like that.

Besides, aren't some people still working on their maps?

So are we going to let this wad keep going @StevenC21? With so much love for console Doom now I feel it's a waste to stop and release what we have right now.

29 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

I want to finish the project. Once I feel that no more people are submitting maps, I will release the wad.

Once you release the final wad, I suggest you add a mapinfo containing all the map names and also alter the map order if needed. I forgot to include a mapinfo myself but the name of level is mentioned in the post I made that contains the download.

Actually now that I think about it did everyone actually name their level at all? If not then perhaps we should name them for them?

Some people named the maps, yes. For now I'd just like to get all the maps in.

If anyone needs to contact me for any reason, the place to go is nevetsepirc21@gmail.com.

Reinstall Doom 64 Builder using the installer, it should have SlimDX included by default and should automatically install it.

Okay, everything is up to speed, only issue is the mouse freaks out. It'll turn very slightly to the left or right and then snaps back to the center. Right now it's unplayable with the mouse.

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

Okay, everything is up to speed, only issue is the mouse freaks out. It'll turn very slightly to the left or right and then snaps back to the center. Right now it's unplayable with the mouse.

I believe Doom 64 EX has issues with the mouse on Windows 10 due to an outdated SDL library.