Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

Hey guys, got some great news, @Erick194 was able to combine both the PSX Doom and Doom 64 soundfonts into one. I further did some edits to the combined soundfont so now you can hear all the PSX Tracks with Doom 64 samples without any edited midis (I did not touch the final doom tracks because the samples used for them are more unique but you can still use them)

So you got two flavors: one is the standard combined soundfont (DOOM64_PSXMUS) and the other is the edited soundfont (PSXDOOM64)

PSXDOOM64.7z

DOOM64_PSXMUS.7z

So what is the status of this thing right now?

I can see Map01 is empty. If it's ok with others I would be fine with making another map for that slot since I am not really currently busy at this moment (plus I can't go to work for a few days because I got injured and have to stay at home for a while, could as well use it for Doom mapping lol. )

EDIT: I am claiming map01 if it's not already taken.

EDIT: Screenshot of the starting area:

SaM23IE.jpg

Edited by hardcore_gamer

3 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

A few more screens. The map is almost finished. It's not very long, but that's to be expected for a map01 introduction level.

Pr2SmDa.jpg

QX7QGN8.jpg

pDrL8Za.jpg

LJJeHTU.jpg

GeNomj4.jpg

Those rooms could really use more detail tbh. Doom 64 EX can get away with it than the original console.  Currently this looks like a re-textured 1994 level.

EDIT: Look at how I did some of the rooms of my indefinite hiatus Plutonia 64:
e8lsC4D.png5vIoEiJ.pngs9PD0Lp.pngSrRj7dQ.pngJfexGVC.pngdf0V4KQ.png

Edited by Impboy4 : Constructive criticism

4 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

QX7QGN8.jpg

I just want to say, I love the lighting on this hallway in particular. I know it's a simple thing, but Doom64's sector gradients makes it look kind of striking.

First draft of the level is ready and features difficulty levels for normal and hard. There still might be some slight changes though so it might not be the final version. You can play the current version though. 

map01.zip

EDIT: @Impboy4 your logic about the levels looking too plain don't really make sense. If you look at the tech base levels in the original Doom 64 they all look pretty square and brutalist in their design. This is intentional. You're comparing a sci-fi base to medieval castles in hell which doesn't make sense to me. It makes since that an otherwordly castle have things like random and chaotic geo, but for a man made construct it doesn't. Look at the automaps for the original Doom 64 levels and you will see that it's all pretty square/rectangle. That said some details have been added since the screenshots, but mostly in the form of slightly changed geo and a few computer monitors here and there.

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

EDIT: @Impboy4 your logic about the levels looking too plain don't really make sense. If you look at the tech base levels in the original Doom 64 they all look pretty square and brutalist in their design. This is intentional. You're comparing a sci-fi base to medieval castles in hell which doesn't make sense to me. It makes since that an otherwordly castle have things like random and chaotic geo, but for a man made construct it doesn't. Look at the automaps for the original Doom 64 levels and you will see that it's all pretty square/rectangle. That said some details have been added since the screenshots, but mostly in the form of slightly changed geo and a few computer monitors here and there.

I'm not comparing themes but the idea of making an area look less jarring in general. It's good that you went back and added more geometry as long as it doesn't hinder the gameplay. Also, tech-bases do not have to be all squares/rectangles (they're just the most common shape).

@StevenC21 is this dead? doesn't seem like we're getting any new maps. I playtested every map submitted so far and all of them seem beatable. here's my thoughts.

Spoiler

MAP01- Visuals are bare bones, especially the outdoor area with the pinkies and the room where you get the Super Shotgun. gameplay and flow are okay though.
MAP04 - Very good visuals and layout, makes you revisit areas to familiarize yourself with the layout. I really like it, some of the traps are dreadful. one of them is impossible to escape (I think) the map is large too with plenty of areas to explore I really enjoyed it.
MAP06 - Good use of flashing lights, long corridors with flashing lights and some pinkies and arachnotrons create some tense moments, I would suggests toning down the brightness of the lights though to make the lighting more subtle.
MAP07 - Pretty level with some very good lighting, felt like a puzzle oriented level because you're presented with 3 major areas at the beginning and each one had a different sort of challenge. I don't know if I was supposed to take the teleports in a specific order, I died a couple of times because I ran out of ammo.
MAP09 - Too basic with some very basic visuals, there's some issues with lights that don't mesh well together, and some textures that don't fit together. and mindless battles that don't feel threatening at all with excessive amount of ammunition. also there's 2 yellow skull keys so when you get one of them you won't be able to pick up the other one in the other area.
MAP11 - Great map, challenging but fair with some well placed monsters and pickups. and beautiful too with great lighting.
MAP13 - Really good map, tight corridors and good lighting and visuals. a hub-like map with 3 major areas, good sense of flow.
MAP14 - Couldn't download it, said I don't have permission to view the file.
MAP15 - Nice Castle themed map, felt open, I really like how the map puts you in large areas and lets you go wherever you want figuring out where you're supposed to go on your own. the lighting is okay but felt a little flat, not too bad though, it still looks good.
MAP16 - Yet another great map, looks like we have plenty of good maps this time, progression felt natural and the visuals were well done. no complaints here, there's some missing textures though here, even with the resources wad loaded. also a little nitpick but I think you put too much gore props in the outdoor areas.
MAP21 - This one starts really good, and has some very nice rooms and lighting but I couldn't finish it because I didn't know what I was supposed to do after pressing the two switches next to the starting area, I got the Plasma gun and the Chaingun trap caught me off gaurd. good thing I saved. maybe you can make it clearer what the players are supposed to do to get past the first area? couldn't get a single key here.
MAP25 - a short linear map clearly inspired by The Void, straight forward and fun. even if it's too easy because you get both the BFG and the Unmaker here and there's plenty of ammo and health packs too.
MAP26 - another short map09-styled map, there's really not a lot to say about this one. It looks good and plays good (even if there's a little too much ammo) I would suggest lowering the health and ammo count because there's more than enough currently.
MAP27 - Yet another arena? ok, same problems of the previous map are present here. plus it's larger and has even more enemies making it take much longer without ever feeling really challenged, circle strafing and shooting is all I did to beat the last wave of enemies. you really need to work on the difficulty of these levels.
MAP28 - And another arena, I wouldn't mind them as much if they weren't placed one after the other and if the problems I mentioned in the previous ones are solved. at least they don't look bad. I hope we're going to change the order of these levels.
MAP29 - This has to be your best level GoatLord, it flows better than your other 2 maps and also looks even better. I loved it enough that I finished it twice.

Hey guys I've been having health problems lately and have mostly forgotten about this project.  I'm gonna work on as much as I can these next few days but I may ditch it unless someone else would want to finish it.  I can give details for the latter if you wanna PM me.

@STILES Let us know when you've had enough of it and I may be able to pick it up where you leave it. If not someone else probably would.

Looks like the OP skipped my map03. Funnily the first map I submitted. Anyway, I kind of stopped caring about the project, mostly because I became busy and I didn't get any feedback. I still have some layouts and ideas lying around for the third map. Maybe it'll see completion by the end of march if the submissions don't close now.

Steven hasn't visited since the 18th of feb, so I'd say something got them busy.

I really hope to see the release of this project, but oh well can only hope.

Nevermind, I'm not doing anything anymore.

Link to my map that got skipped

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=42655

4 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

OP hasn't been active for almost a month now, maybe they will return soon... hopefully.

I suggest that if the OP hasn't come back by the month's end that we simply start compiling all the work done so far and release it. No reason to wait months on end until OP comes back. If he comes back.

I agree. He wasn't particularly doing a good job either. Let's just wait for now.

Yeah I guess, but op may have some maps that have been PM'd to them that they haven't put up yet to test?

10 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Yeah I guess, but op may have some maps that have been PM'd to them that they haven't put up yet to test?

If that's the case, a new version can be compiled when/if he shows up again.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

I suggest that if the OP hasn't come back by the month's end that we simply start compiling all the work done so far and release it. No reason to wait months on end until OP comes back. If he comes back.

Are there any maps that need to be tested?

Sorry, I've been caught up in RealLifeLand myself lately.  I have some time now.

6 minutes ago, Antnee said:

Are there any maps that need to be tested?

Sorry, I've been caught up in RealLifeLand myself lately.  I have some time now.

Nothing that hasn't been posted so far. Seeing as the new unofficial deadline is the end of the month I might work a bit more on my second map (map01).

I have a level to submit, if anyone is interested. 

Unfortunately, the laptop I was using to create it has bitten the dust (hard drive's gone). I was lucky to salvage my work from it. I now don't have access to Windows or Doom. The level lacks: 

- playtesting

- deathmatch starts

- proper difficulty implementation (it was built to be played on UV, though that might be too hard from pistol start).

I spent a long, looooong time creating this as I had to re-learn skills (as well as new ones for Doom 64) from when I built levels at age 14, 20-odd years ago! I was never particularly good at building levels but I wanted to create this as my love letter and farewell to Doom. 

If anyone can play it and post screenshots, I'd be indebted! Any feedback is gratefully received. 

It's on map02. The level is called Rivets & Bolts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sIN8LCccaB9TXdIayFqSaDCgvQqBJYVu/view?usp=sharing