Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

Not sure if I understand why he draws a thin sector and raises it behind where the switch goes. It is entirely not needed. You can use the back wall itself to set up a switch.

I guess the only reason why it might be desired is because of how Doom 64 actually draws the switch, it floats out from the wall by a couple units. So that thin sector would make up for the gap, but regardless it still seems like unnecessary extra work just for a simple switch.

To add on to that, in D64ex the switch itself acts more like a "thing" than a texture.  It's actually lit by the Thing lighting, not the upper/lower lighting.

Forgot how awful Doombuilder 2 was, there's no dynamic grid size, no autoselect for all linedefs on same line, wish GZDB-BF adds support for D64EX someday.

sshot000.png

The texture selection is also rather limited, even with the additional resource pack loaded.

2 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Forgot how awful Doombuilder 2 was, there's no dynamic grid size, no autoselect for all linedefs on same line, wish GZDB-BF adds support for D64EX someday.

Advice: create the layout/geometry with GZDB in Vanilla Mode. After that import/reopen this map in DB2 and finish it. That's way better

Thanks :) but I think I'll just stick with DB2 for now, it's just a minor annoyance and I think I'm starting to get used to it.

DB64 was forked from DB2, not from GZDB, and therefore it doesn't have the added features and interface improvements of GZDB.

Luckily you can turn it off from the Edit menu in GZDB, I prefer to have it on so I can just Zoom In to decrease the Grid Size.

I was wondering if we should have an actual name for this mapset or just stick with "Doom 64 EX Doomworld Community Map Project"?

Also I wanted to clarify which map should exit to Go 64 It. I see the OP still mentions one of @Kore's maps as the exit. Does he already have the exit planned out? I need to know because I'd like to add the exit to it on MAP01 just like the original map flow unless Kore already has it all set up. I don't know what was decided (if anything).

You know, it crossed my mind that the Artifacts weren't discussed.  Should we not use them, or do you want to assign them to a specific slot?  Like red = map 11, purple = 32, etc.

what about "Doomguy's Nightmares"

but then again Doomguy to the demons are a nightmare..

also i think it would be EPIC if we made this into a cinematic intro for our map-pack: 

doom_1200x1200.jpg

Edited by Thedoctor989

Something with EX in the title?

Doom64: EXile

Doom64: EXecration

Doom64: EXtinction

Doom64: EXecution

Doom64: EXtermination

Doom64: EXsanguination

Doom64: EXcrement

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

I don't know what was decided (if anything).

Having the secret exit at map03 seems pretty arbitrary to me. Yeah, I don't think it was decided at all. The slots aren't final either, so go ahead and take it if nobody objects.

Edited by Kore

22 hours ago, Velvetic said:

Main courtyard is almost finished (visually).

Untitled-1.jpg.0a23554ba9f08d461548bce46921fee9.jpg

How did you manage to have doors in those foreground walls while also being able to see the background?

1 minute ago, GoatLord said:

How did you manage to have doors in those foreground walls while also being able to see the background? 

You have to add the no-occlusion flag to walls.

2 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

The No Occlusion flag on linedefs keeps them from "blocking" things in the background.  Use that in tandem with the BLANK textures.

This might be a good time to ask, how do you make switches animate when pressed? I thought it would be as simple as giving it a SW1 or SWA Texture like in the original game but no, the switches do work but they don't change their texture.

I bet you're adding a switch texture to the midwall just like that. That won't work.

Set up your linedef like this.

Untitled.png

3 hours ago, Antnee said:

You know, it crossed my mind that the Artifacts weren't discussed.  Should we not use them, or do you want to assign them to a specific slot?  Like red = map 11, purple = 32, etc.

My vote kinda depends on how many maps we end up with.

If we have less than the full 32, I suggest we keep them standard with regular Doom 64 (level 25 to 27 not replaced, 28 for the boss, and 29 to 32 secret). This is so the standard Doom 64 secret maps can still be used if we don't get enough new ones. Unless someone wants to design a map as strictly being a secret map, then we can replace on that basis.

If we get the full 32, we can place them arbitrarily around the mapset (where the only secret maps are 31 and 32). Maybe roughly every 10 maps one is placed in a secret area? Once again, unless someone specifically wants thiers to be a secret map.

This can probably wait until we have most of the maps completed, once we can see how they will be spread out. Then we will have a better idea of how to proceed with secret maps and artifacts.

The Doom 64 logo is too blurry here.

BTW, just "Legion"? I think it's kinda a bad cliche. There are a lot of "Legion of Something" in names. I'll prefer the "EXtermination" (anything EX~)

5 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

The Doom 64 logo is too blurry here.

BTW, just "Legion"? I think it's kinda a bad cliche. There are a lot of "Legion of Something" in names. I'll prefer the "EXtermination" (anything EX~)

Yeah, that logo is quite blurry indeed.

As for the name of the project, my vote goes for:

5 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Doom64: EXile

Can't wait to check out the maps, what I've seen so far seems promising, I'm hyped. Now I just need to decide whether I should wait for the final product or check out each map individually as soon as it becomes available. I'll probably do the latter.

It would be funny to use "Doom 64: EXpanded", but this project is not the classic expansion...