Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It's not an imitation, sorry, the word doesn't fit the use. To argue otherwise would require to argue that Chocolate Strife is also an imitation, and that conceptually is a weird argument. And while it isn't perfect and can't be, spec wise it's basically the same, right down to the map format (minus what Gez mentioned below). 

The fact that you won't call Chocolate Strife or Doom 64 EX as imitation is not our problem. Again, Kaiser wrote that it's an recreated imitation because no source code is used.

No true source code = No true engine.

Very simply.

49 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

The fact that you won't call Chocolate Strife or Doom 64 EX as imitation is not our problem. Again, Kaiser wrote that it's an recreated imitation because no source code is used.

Very simply.

But wasn't EX a reverse engineered port or something?

Anyway,

9 hours ago, Antnee said:

Here is my entry.

Just finished the map, loved it. The starting area was pretty interesting with all the Nightmare Imps and Mancubi above, what an introduction, good atmosphere and very fitting soundtrack. The doors caught my eye though, especially how the yellow door seemed to turn into a red one after picking the red skull. Can't wait to check out more maps.

In the meantime, I hope we're getting a new build of EX because the mouse issues in the last stable release are just annoying. Well, at least it isn't as bad as what I was getting in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 :v .

Spoiler

tfXFztu.jpg

Lsi2CE2.png

HtqGNw2.jpg

o0KVTZr.png

RJl6XDh.jpg

AgpteXQ.jpg

3 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

Very simply.

You seem to misinterpret what disassembly is. You have some reading to do, Wikipedia would be a good start. You don't need the original plaintext code to have the original code, otherwise my job (and Kaiser's) would be fundamentally impossible. 

Actually an amusing notion, a disassembly would be more true than the source code itself; 

The source code maybe what the human intended the code to function, but the compiled program is exactly what it is. If you disassemble that, you have exactly every optimisation and quirk that the compiler produced.

Edited by Edward850

Guys, let's not stray from the topic just to be pedantic. Also, what mouse issues?

9 hours ago, GoatLord said:

The things filter is for things, not textures? Am I missing something here?

Whoops. Sorry, it was late. It's the lens icon as shown here.

Untitled.png

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

mouse issues in the last stable release are just annoying.

29 minutes ago, Kore said:

Also, what mouse issues?

I personally have had a strange mouse problem with EX for as long as I can remember using it on my PC. I can't seem to find the thread I made years ago on it. Changing SDL versions did nothing for me.

I think Agent is talking about a different one, either way EX has mouse problems.

15 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I personally have had a strange mouse problem with EX for as long as I can remember using it on my PC. I can't seem to find the thread I made years ago on it. Changing SDL versions did nothing for me.

I think Agent is talking about a different one, either way EX has mouse problems.

My problem is likely caused by the outdated SDL of the current build. I've had the same issue in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 which is also on SDL, which forced me to upgrade to 2.5.1.5. a while ago to get rid of it. The remaining ports that use SDL2 or something else are fine however.

Still can't figure out how to make screenshots. I tried F5 but I can't find any folder in the Doom 64 EX directory for saving screens. Also, no one has answered my question about the "You suck at making maps" texture covering every single midtexture in the map. This is really starting to cause issues when I look at the 3D preview and if I delete them, they come right back when I reload the map. The lens icon did not do anything.

The screenshots are saved in the Doom 64 EX directory itself. F5 is hardcoded to take screenshots, you can't change it.

Your issue sounds really odd. What's the name of the texture? Post your map.

5 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Still can't figure out how to make screenshots. I tried F5 but I can't find any folder in the Doom 64 EX directory for saving screens. Also, no one has answered my question about the "You suck at making maps" texture covering every single midtexture in the map. This is really starting to cause issues when I look at the 3D preview and if I delete them, they come right back when I reload the map.

It should be F5 by default, look into your settings in case it's binded to another key (or maybe even unbound), which would be strange since the key is hardcoded if I'm not mistaken. They should save as .png files in your Doom 64 EX root folder.

E: Well then, I got ninja'd.

12 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Still can't figure out how to make screenshots. I tried F5 but I can't find any folder in the Doom 64 EX directory for saving screens. Also, no one has answered my question about the "You suck at making maps" texture covering every single midtexture in the map. This is really starting to cause issues when I look at the 3D preview and if I delete them, they come right back when I reload the map. The lens icon did not do anything.

Post your map.  And you're using the most up to date version of DB64 right?

I'm using 2.0.1.0. As far as I know that's the most recent, but if it's not, I'll be glad to update. I don't mean to be so bitchy about all of this, I'm just really confused about these odd issues.

goatlord map07.7z

EDIT: Managed to find the screenshots.

sshot001.png

I opened the map and didn't see any issues with it. It may be a problem with the resources, the wad itself.

Also make sure your D64 directory has writing permission.

I opened the map and didn't see any issues with it.

Same- can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing in editor, and also, is there an actual texture on the mid?

Is that the same version you sent us? Did you already try replacing '?' for '-'?

I meant changing the name of the texture to -, but it doesn't seem like it'd work. Is the IWAD the only resource you're linking? I get the feeling the doom64.wad itself has some problem, maybe it was generated incorrectly.

Does the problem still happen if you load no resource at all?

Does it happen with new maps too? What happens when you remove textures with right-click when editing linedefs? It looks like somehow the editor is trying to use "?" instead of "-" as the default missing texture. I would try deleting your user config file for builder64 and then let the editor generate a fresh one and see if the issue persists.

Even after applying Windows 10 SDL fix, I still have imperfect mouse on Windows 10. It's like the sensitivity is inconsistent, with strange drops mid-swing, IIRC. I haven't played for long like that because it's very annoying.

Nevertheless, would suck to miss out on such an opportunity to make random maps for Doom 64. I don't know for sure if I want a techbase or a hell level, so I won't hog a specific slot for now.

Okay, so what apparently happened was that it was loading the resource pack first, THEN the main game's textures. That got it all confused (and as well). It appears to be working perfectly fine now. Sorry for all the drama. This has been a bit of a task, learning the ins and outs of this specific editor, but I think I got the hang of it. I should be making some good progress in the next couple weeks.

1 minute ago, GoatLord said:

Okay, so what apparently happened was that it was loading the resource pack first, THEN the main game's textures. That got it all confused (and as well). It appears to be working perfectly fine now. Sorry for all the drama. This has been a bit of a task, learning the ins and outs of this specific editor, but I think I got the hang of it. I should be making some good progress in the next couple weeks.

Don't sweat it, just glad to hear you're all set.

Yeah, the lighting takes a while to get the hang of.  If you study the originals, a lot of how they light the levels seems counter intuitive-  the ceilings/floors are very bright while the walls are very dark.  But it works for some reason.

26 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Even after applying Windows 10 SDL fix, I still have imperfect mouse on Windows 10. It's like the sensitivity is inconsistent, with strange drops mid-swing, IIRC. I haven't played for long like that because it's very annoying.

Nevertheless, would suck to miss out on such an opportunity to make random maps for Doom 64. I don't know for sure if I want a techbase or a hell level, so I won't hog a specific slot for now.

We'll have to live with it until an updated version on SDL2 or something else gets released. Let's hope that will be this year: