Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TakenStew22

Is TNT and Plutonia canon?

Like, are they actually official sequels to Doom 2? And are TNT and Plutonia in the same universe?

Edited by TakenStew22

Yeah, pretty sure it's all connected, Doom 1, Doom 2, then first comes TNT then Plutonia. Hell, if Commander Keen is Doomguy's grandpapa/papa, I'm pretty sure anything goes.

Ah yes!  The good old MS-DOS days where nothing made sense and anything could be thrown into the cannon and no one gave a shit. 

Im pretty sure this is the canon order of doom:
Doom 3 Doom 1 Doom 2 Final Doom TNT and then plutonia But since doom 4 is a reboot of doom 1 i dont know how that works so would doom 4 be in place of doom 1 or what?

I think they're cannon considering that they ended up as sold products by id.

They're both set after the events of Doom 2. I kinda like to think Doom 64 is cannon too and it acts as a conclusion to the trilogy, with Doom 3 and Doom 2016 and reboots of the series.

13 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I think they're cannon considering that they ended up as sold products by id.

They're both set after the events of Doom 2. I kinda like to think Doom 64 is cannon too and it acts as a conclusion to the trilogy, with Doom 3 and Doom 2016 and reboots of the series.

Pretty sure everythin' but Doom 3 is cannon. Doomguy dooms in 1, 2, No Rest for the Living, TNT, Plutonia, 64 and then traps himself in hell to do ultra mega pew pews onto the demons for all eternity, then he fucks up and gets shoved in a coffin, enter Doom 2016, then Doom Eternal.

Nobody knows what "canon" means in the context of Doom. Even the official stories to Doom and Doom II don't line up as you'd expect.

Never thought much about the canonicity of Plutonia and TNT, much like "the Doom canon" which I always thought id Software just never officially defined.

2 hours ago, Guydoom said:

Pretty sure everythin' but Doom 3 is cannon. Doomguy dooms in 1, 2, No Rest for the Living, TNT, Plutonia, 64 and then traps himself in hell to do ultra mega pew pews onto the demons for all eternity, then he fucks up and gets shoved in a coffin, enter Doom 2016, then Doom Eternal.

Doom 3 has its place too. The dimension hopping madman known as the Doom Slayer ripped and tore his way through the enemies of the ancient Martians and then stayed in Hell once again; they must have assumed he was lost and so made an honorary coffin for him back on Mars. The carvings of Doomguy with the Soul Cube in Doom 2016 say otherwise though :P

12 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Doom 3 has its place too. The dimension hopping madman known as the Doom Slayer ripped and tore his way through the enemies of the ancient Martians and then stayed in Hell once again; they must have assumed he was lost and so made an honorary coffin for him back on Mars. The carvings of Doomguy with the Soul Cube in Doom 2016 say otherwise though :P

All I can say is that Doom's "story/plot" is more confusing then Minecraft's. pretty goddamn weird but pretty goddamn cool.

Well they weren't made by the original developers, the numbered games are pretty much what the original canon would be.

NRFTL felt more canonical to me in terms of both visuals and gameplay/combat. TNT and Master Levels are like the Memento Moris or Requiem, community projects with various styles and quality, and with no real timeline or sense of progression (honestly, UD episode 4 also feels like this). Just collections of maps. They are like music albums by "Various Artists". Plutonia is more about trolling the player, with IMHO nonsense visuals. The main point was to expand the gameplay limits and the skill of the players.

Mapsets like Scythe 2, Valiant, NRFTL felt more canonical, because fewer (one or two, maybe three) authors make maps with level progression, and coherent aesthetics in mind.

Doom 2016 heavily implies that Doomguy has gone slayer across multiple timelines/dimensions, so I just like to think of that as saying all wads are canon, though they don't necessarily have to all be in one timeline

I don't see the point in figuring out which wads are canon. They don't have any real story, and I highly doubt they'll ever have specific canon references later on.