Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomsday

Do you prefer midi songs in doom mods or mp3 and other formats.

Midis are super nostalgic and just make me happy.

I'm not opposed to higher quality stuff, but the smaller filesize of midis makes mods way easier to download.

10 minutes ago, EngineerKappa said:

Midis are super nostalgic and just make me happy.

I'm not opposed to higher quality stuff, but the smaller filesize of midis makes mods way easier to download.

I like the sounds of midis there just something about them.

Whatever the format, it it is not smaller than 2 megs, I will not consider using it. I have used several tracker module files (.mod, .it, and a few other extensions).

It depends on the map format.  Vanilla and Boom mapping feels right with a midi, but an advanced GZDoom wad works better with an hi-fidelity format. No excuse for giant file sizes at any rate though, ogg compression is excellent. 

There's something about MIDI that makes a Doom map doomier. Though I don't mind it at all when people use tracker music or streamed music, it's cool too.

I'm probably in the minority, but I just don't like MIDIs outside of the original Doom BGM. Give me real music, not something that sounds like it was filtered through a 1990s soundcard. Fortunately, I have real internet with decent speeds, so file size is not a determining factor for me.

I'm not a big fan of MIDIs these days because there is a very limited range of timbres and the production is uniform across every piece. It all sounds very similar after awhile. With MP3 or OGG you get the benefit of whatever equipment or software the author had access to which greatly amplifies the possibilities.

When playing with a mapset alone, MIDIs.

When playing with layers upon layers of gameplay and gore mods, MP3s.

These days it's all about the MP3s. There are some good midis I like listening to every now and then, such as Zephyr Zone Infiltration Method from Doom 64 For Doom II for example.

MIDI is (and always will be) instrinsic for my Doom experience.

I've nothing against other formats, but the music/soundscapes possibilities that come w/ them is just not 'Doomy'.. it always sounds more experimental and/or like 3DRealms stuff - which is fine i guess, just doesn't fit Doom for me.

Definitely ogg/mp3 or tracker music.  Then, aside from whatever slight differences the tracker library might introduce, I can pretty much guarantee I'm hearing what the author of the track intended me to hear.

The format doesn't matter if the music fits the map. That said, for a few years now I've been using a midi sound font to enhance the quality.

If it's some gore mod where a single shot will spew out 500 gallons of blood, fancy .ogg or .mp3 crap.

If I'm trying to make something or it's an old wad, MIDI.

There's a certain charm that MIDIs have that I'm pretty sure everyone can agree on, and since my internet is barely decent I prefer the smaller size.

7 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

The format doesn't matter if the music fits the map.

This all over, no need to worry about streamed music not sounding Doomy enough when nowadays PWADs have visually gone above and beyond what was possible in the 90s and what could even be considered "Doomy." Just look at Elementalism or something, it would be a tragedy if it used MIDI music, lol

Overall I prefer mp3/ogg because it is possible to create a greater variety of music without the limitations of MIDI.  MIDI can work well in the more classic styled Doom maps, but feels somewhat out of place in the more atmosphere-focused maps that use a lot of GZDoom features, and I rarely find myself listening to MIDI tunes outside of the game.  On the other hand MIDI files take up less disk space and so are probably more suitable overall for a lot of vanilla Doom projects.

I've tended to enjoy using mp3 electronica music for Doom maps that I make, mostly because many of them tend to be *ahem* loud color-wise, so I tend to use music that fits that. But mostly I just enjoy the range that mp3 has as opposed to MIDI. MIDI is fine, but I just don't use it in my own maps. I enjoy it deeply in the original Doom maps and anything '90s/early 2000's era.

Tracker Modules all the way; don't have to worry about MIDI device as a factor and the bloating that MP3/OGG files can cause for a WAD/PK3 file.

I'm an Amiga guy at heart, so you know what's coming -- tracker modules! Yes, the MOD format and trackers, one of the Amiga's great gifts to the computing world. My 6-map Abcess minisode had 100% Amiga MODs, including title and intermission screens.

Unfortunately, tracker modules appropriate for Doom are hard to find, IMO, and to the best of my knowledge, are rarely used by mappers, perhaps even less than MP3s. PrBoom makes it difficult to mix MODs with other files in a project, first, because PrBoom is far more likely to loop them improperly as compared to GZDoom or Risen3D, and second, because continuers can encounter widely varying volume levels as they go from a MIDi map to a MOD map, and vice-versa. So MIDI still rules in released maps by an overwhelming margin, regardless of what users might choose instead. Luckily, we have several brilliant MIDI musicians in the community, so even though I'd prefer MODs, there's plenty of great MIDIs for Doom.

Honestly, for me it just depends on the case, whatever suits the map best.

I prefer MIDIs in doom wads (for ZDaemon at least). I like my doom experience to have a sort of nostalgia attached to it in terms of what is playing in the background. Other formats such as MP3 could work too if the tone is kinda old-school.

Edited by Rosh Fragger