Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roboticmehdi2

(q1 and q3) VS (others)

What I think about quake games is that quake1 and quake3 are good, but others are just bad. And I think mainstream idea is like that as well, from what I see on other topics and forums about quake series.

Just why and how is quake 2 is not that good, not as good as quake 1?

I mean graphically something is wrong with quake 2, the enemies, also there are much less number of mods for quake 2 compared to quake 1.

(Also a poll on doomworld results in 66% in favor of quale 1 and 33% in favor of quake 2, approximately)

NOTE: notice that quake 2, quake 4 and quake wars are tied together, storywise. While the best two quakes, 1 and 3, are story wise unique or no story at all. So I am not sure if this has anything to do with the above statements.

Just want to hear your opinion.

Quake 2 is much less interesting to look at than Quake 1 and has an overrated, monotonous soundtrack. 

Well, the atmosphere in Quake 2 is way different then Quake 1, most people prefered the gothic styled maps too. Anyway, i'm not debating on such things since I personally like both games.

Quake is one of the best games ever made. Quake 2 is decent, but it wouldn't be one of my top 10 favorite FPS games from the 90s. Quake 3 was fun for me to play during its heyday, but it became dead to me after I played Unreal Tournament. I have no interest in the others. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Quake 2 is much less interesting to look at than Quake 1 and has an overrated, monotonous soundtrack. 

I've always found Quake 2's soundtrack to be kind of enjoyably bad. 

8 hours ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

Just why and how is quake 2 is not that good, not as good as quake 1?

My guess is because Quake 2 is a slower paced game than Quake 1, and the people here like fast-paced games.

(Using quotes on mobile is a nightmare, so I using "s instead)

"Quake 3 is good"

Sure, playing on servers/with friends sounds fun, but if we exclude these, then all you've got is just fighting against bots, no real single player. The same applies to Unreal Tournament, but UT had more content (a lof of maps, gamemodes, etc.).

"I mean graphically something is wrong with quake 2, the enemies, also there are much less number of mods for quake 2 compared to quake 1."

You're saying that because you don't like the sci-fi (I don't really know how Quake 2's style called) or the enemies' design or what? Agreed on the mod part.

"NOTE: notice that quake 2, quake 4 and quake wars are tied together, storywise. While the best two quakes, 1 and 3, are story wise unique or no story at all. So I am not sure if this has anything to do with the above statements."

In short, no storyline = good game and if game has storyline = bad game? I'd like to argue with that, but my English is not the best.

"Quake 2 is much less interesting to look at than Quake 1 and has an overrated, monotonous soundtrack."

Grey vs. brown, none of them looks interesting (Okay, I know Quake 1 uses colors other than brown, but that was the most memorable part, which is sad). This is really my personal opinion, but I prefer the Quake 2 soundtrack instead of Quake 1's, at least the NIN part, I usually don't have problem with ambient music, but this is just boring, and I feel I could like fall asleep at any moment.

I never play anything with music/soundtracks at all, only enjoy ambient sounds.

Remember when I was playing GTA Vice City I hated car radio music and it was pain to switch to silent channel every time I got into new car. So I found the tracks and simply deleted them, this time game would give error and not launch. I knew it was checking for file presence, so I found mp3 to adf converter online and replaced the tracks with same name but blank/silent tracks, problem was solved.

Anyway, it is good to hear your thoughts on q1/q3 vs others. Like I said, I really like quake 1 and quake 3, but no matter what I do I cant like quake 2, totally bad game for me. Same with quake 4 and quake wars.

Quake 1 for me is the best in quake series and one of the best games of all time.

As a Lovecraft fanboy, I like Quake 1 the best. One thing I can say without bias however, is that Quake 1's setting is much more unique, granted there's a bitter sweet reason for that. FPS games with sci-fi settings are a dime a dozen, even back in the day(although I wouldn't call Quake 2 boring to look at, as I find the grotesque designs of the Strogg very unnerving, at least until Quake 4 came along and made them look more generic and boring). I will say though, Quake 2 added more versatility to PvP combat, and Quake 3 made it perfect. Quake 1 is the best single-player Quake game, but for Deathmatch it feels like there's not much variation in the arsenal to make things interesting enough(2 shotguns, 2 nailguns, 1 Rocketlauncher and the Thunderbolt). The Q1 Deathmatch scene is intense, sure, but not exactly varied. Now, before you take out your torches and your pitchforks, I truly love Quake 1 for the record, and even it's deathmatch. I'm just sayin'

My favorite Quake game has to be Quake III Arena, if only because that was my entry point to the series. That said, I think that every Quake game is good on their own merits. Quake isn't a franchise that's particularly known to be thematically consistent anyway - just look at how different Quake 1 and 2 are.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:54 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

BOOOOOOOO

The best part of Quake 2 for me is the music and the multiplayer. The single player was a boring slog for me. While the game is nice to look at, it lacks the sort of unsettling atmosphere you get with the original Quake. The enemies are mostly bullet sponges and the more "realistic" weapon attributes slow down the pacing of the gunplay compared to the first game. It's just not that satisfying to shoot.

Quake 3 is a fantastic multiplayer game. I played it and UT about equally, but always preferred Q3 for traditional deathmatch and 1v1 play. The game looked stunning on release and I'd say it still holds up pretty well.

I need to revisit it soon, but I think I may have enjoyed Quake 4's single player campaign more than Quake II's. The environments were more interesting to look at and the gunplay was faster and more immediate. I could do without the forced story sequences and dialog, but I guess it's just something that comes with that era of gaming.

I like quake and quake two the most. Quake multiplayer was great, probably played it the most of any game back in the day. Single player was a memorable experience too, as disjointed as the campaign was. Quake 2 was a departure from the original concept. I still liked the lone marine run and gun on an alien world concept.

Q3 lacking a single player campaign was the biggest letdown for me. Quake 4 was ok. Quake Champions I couldn't give a monkey's, maybe I'll try it one day. It was begging for a single player campaign, even if it was an homage of tossing disjointed themes together like OG Quake.