Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomsday

Doomguy's Helmet?

So in DOOM 1, 2, TNT and Plutonia, when Doomguy is looking forward his helmet turns green anyone have a clue why its like that? In every other angle its a brownish color.

1 hour ago, Rathori said:

I like it how one can actually see what you're talking about in your avatar pic.

LOL!

Here's another example:

image.png.1a989dab6760b8cc83172480c6938000.png

As for the question, I honestly don't know. Maybe it's because of shadows?

Id software somewhat screwed up when rendering some of the sprites made from clay models. I noticed that some of them have minor artifacts, or inconsistent colors(like the Hell knight's hooves changing colors, and the ambiguously green/tan helmet), although I give them a pass because 1. they were small, and 2. No one really did that at the time. I mean, there was Mortal Kombat a year prior, and NARC back in the late 80's, but those used digitized actors. The clay models Id used for the Baron and the Marine were flat gray in color, and had to be painted over I think? Hence why there's not as many inconsistencies with other monsters sprites like the Mancubus and the Mastermind, which used actual colored puppets that just had to be scanned and converted into the palette(altho I'd argue that they lack the polish of other FPS games that came after like Duke Nukem, Blood and even Strife which is a more fair comparison).

2 hours ago, Rathori said:

I like it how one can actually see what you're talking about in your avatar pic.

Yeah I also thought this same question while making this gif.