Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Suspicious about this weird website... possibly run by bots?

So there is this website called http://www.doommovie.com/ and it freaks me out because I'm not sure if it even has anything to do with Doom. The website seems to be run by bots. The first thing you see when you get on this site is something that is titled "About DOOM Movie", but it talks about "Doom Games" [sic] and has a background of promotional art from Doom 2016.

Then it lists the cast of that shitty 2005 Doom movie, and a FAQ. The first question, "How can you improve FPS games?" has this as it's answer:

The graphic cards that were available then might only give you some sort of incremental graphic proficiency and versatility, but they did not come anywhere near the tremendous amount of colors, polygon shapes as well as graphics versatility that you would get from even a low end graphic booster card. No way, no how.

Once you get to latest news, it pretty much has nothing to do with Doom. Ever wanted to get your Vauxhall car fixed but you didn't feel like Googling it, but you are already on the "Doom Movie" website? Well, good news for you, because the "Doom Movie" website has tips on how to fix your Vauxhall car.

At the top and bottom of the website, it has contact information, but I have not tried to call their number or email them, because I'm pretty sure that the number isn't the "Doom Movie Website Hotline", and sending an email to the address listed will only make the email realize you are a human and start filling you with spam email.

Why does this website exist? It's so weird.

Why does this website exist? It's so weird.

sending an email to the address listed will only make the email realize you are a human and start filling you with spam email.

That's why

To me it seems like this website wasn't finished. What I mean is some of the buttons and links don't work, or seem to do anything, and for a website dedicated to the doom movie it really doesn't have much information about it. What the site is about (at least according to the "about" and "contact" section) is having a place where doom fans can easily find doom related content, and share it with others. I haven't signed up myself to see if i can post anything, but if it does let anyone post, then this might explain all the random articles in the news section, since it could just be someone (or something) posting random articles on there. That's the best guess I have as to why this site might exist (other than sending people spam emails). While the site seems harmless i still wouldn't trust it, since the connection is not secure, and it does use tracking cookies. Maybe someone else could do some deeper research into this , but until then, I'd recommend staying away from this site.

2 minutes ago, pigherp64 said:

To me it seems like this website wasn't finished. What I mean is some of the buttons and links don't work, or seem to do anything, and for a website dedicated to the doom movie it really doesn't have much information about it. What the site is about (at least according to the "about" and "contact" section) is having a place where doom fans can easily find doom related content, and share it with others. I haven't signed up myself to see if i can post anything, but if it does let anyone post, then this might explain all the random articles in the news section, since it could just be someone (or something) posting random articles on there. That's the best guess I have as to why this site might exist (other than sending people spam emails). While the site seems harmless i still wouldn't trust it, since the connection is not secure, and it does use tracking cookies. Maybe someone else could do some deeper research into this , but until then, I'd recommend staying away from this site.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me, I forgot to put this in the original post:

There is an ad promoting Doom 2016 on it, but clicking on it does nothing. It does not seem to be actually an advertisement, as it appears even when any type of AdBlock is on.

Looks like a linkfarm website autopopulated with data from IMDB. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever's behind the site has 100 similar websites.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, crazyflyingdonut said:

Then it lists the cast of that shitty 2005 Doom movie, and a FAQ. The first question, "How can you improve FPS games?" has this as it's answer:

The Doom movie was good though..

Possibly a website designed to attract adverisers for revenue and frequent articles to act as a backlink for SEO. Or it's what everyone else is mentioning.