Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Itry

How do I edit Pick up texts

Question

okay I just want to know how I edit pick up texts in doom so when you are playing doom it will show you in the corner of the screen "you pickup a health bonus" or something 

image.png.713e7c79982605a68f096c7dc4be31a1.png

here is an image for some understanding 

I just want to edit that text to something else if you know how to thanks you also preferable if you can teach me how to do this in Slade 3 since that is what I use

3 answers to this question

This is the sort of thing that the dehacked program is for. (Or whacked on more modern windows computers.) These programs are a GUI for creating a dehacked patch. A dehacked patch is a text lump that can change various bits of game content, including the same text you mentioned. You can open the freedoom wad in Slade to see an example; freedom replaces most (all?) of the in game text with a dehacked lump. 

If you are aiming for a port that supports DECORATE, you can do something like this in the DECORATE lump:

Actor HealthBonus2 : HealthBonus replaces HealthBonus
{
  PickUpMessage "A health bonus! Nice!"
}

If you are inheriting from an actor (which is what the : HealthBonus is doing in the code above), you only need to include what you are changing.\

Repeat for each item whose pick-up message you want to change. This page should help you find the actor names of everything in Doom and Doom2:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Category:Doom_II_actors