Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Immorpher

Another MIDI Collection for Use

50 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Fans of old games are the last bastion of those who find MIDI files useful and interesting. I started making MIDI files more than a decade ago when I was quite new to music composition and had absolutely no formal training. Often through trial and error I would try to recreate and experiment with my favorite genres of music. I have always loved exploring darker themes and moods which might make my MIDIs okay for Doom wads? Many of them are weird and abstract but feel free to use any for your projects! Here are three collections, each of an overall different style:

from this paragraph alone I surmise that we are parallel universe instantiations of the same person ;D

Anyhow, I listened through midi in the last 1/3, advertised as darker and weirder. I enjoy how these tracks don't shy away from chromaticism or the gnarlier range of lower registers for midi instruments. It continues to surprise me how much textural complexity you can stuff into a midi via extreme low or high pitches for certain instruments. I think many of these would make compelling bgm to some dark/ambient levels, and it's making me rethink my midi choices for some WIP projects. There's also some weirdass stuff crammed in here, 30,000 symphonic notes midi, for example.

Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

I would love to listen to them, but unfortunately archive.org is blocked in China and my Windows VPN doesn't seem to work anymore. T_T Do you maybe have another host?

9 hours ago, elend said:

I would love to listen to them, but unfortunately archive.org is blocked in China and my Windows VPN doesn't seem to work anymore. T_T Do you maybe have another host?

I figured out how to attach them as a zip file to my first post. Hopefully you can get them now!

10 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

from this paragraph alone I surmise that we are parallel universe instantiations of the same person ;D

Anyhow, I listened through midi in the last 1/3, advertised as darker and weirder. I enjoy how these tracks don't shy away from chromaticism or the gnarlier range of lower registers for midi instruments. It continues to surprise me how much textural complexity you can stuff into a midi via extreme low or high pitches for certain instruments. I think many of these would make compelling bgm to some dark/ambient levels, and it's making me rethink my midi choices for some WIP projects. There's also some weirdass stuff crammed in here, 30,000 symphonic notes midi, for example.

Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

Glad you might get some inspiration from these! The more gloomy and sinister a level is, the more I tend to enjoy it. I remember hearing that Aubrey Hodges also would experiment with interpolating to very low pitches and using the artifacts. I still do this today and I end up filtering out the base note and keeping the overtones. It produces very interesting dissonance!

First of all: Thank you very much for adding the .zip to the post! I checked all of them out very quickly (will give them a proper listen tomorrow) and I already like them very much. They are definitely "sinister" and different. Actually, quite perfect for my current map. I especially liked "Gestation" because it just sounds so disturbing and "dark". And as mentioned before, it is really amazing what you can do with a midi. I really enjoy these and thank you again for uploading this! It is definitely very good to have something different than your usual "Doom metal midi".

On 10/10/2018 at 11:22 AM, elend said:

First of all: Thank you very much for adding the .zip to the post! I checked all of them out very quickly (will give them a proper listen tomorrow) and I already like them very much. They are definitely "sinister" and different. Actually, quite perfect for my current map. I especially liked "Gestation" because it just sounds so disturbing and "dark". And as mentioned before, it is really amazing what you can do with a midi. I really enjoy these and thank you again for uploading this! It is definitely very good to have something different than your usual "Doom metal midi".

I haven't made many ambient midis like Gestation, but once I get more free time I may attempt to do more. I know the Doom 64 for Doom 2 project were looking similar stuff in the past.

I am still working on my map, but your midis are actually really fitting and I would love to use one. Will let you know of course and credit you as well. Just gotta finish this damn thing, first. :D

Nice! Never knew anyone put the Quake 2 soundtrack into midi. My favorite song from that game is "The Underworld", I wonder if that exists somewhere.

I take a listen and i like them, you  did good job. I'm not gonna used them so far cause they dont fit my theme but nice job.

On 11/15/2018 at 4:09 AM, Immorpher said:

I don't know if I am allow to swear here, but fuck yes!

I'm sure few swear words are ok here. Words like f*ck or sh*t are well known by 5 year old kids today anyway :/

Yeah, I am using gestation.mid with my hell map while playtesting and it really could be a bit louder.

Adjusting the volume is do-able! I don't know when I'll start working on midi again, but I am indeed interested in it. Getting older means too many projects haha.

These are great :D will definitely use some of these in my wads

Edit: Planet Grinder may be my favorite

Edited by Juza