Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

I'll take roads with 'hill' in their name for $200 Alex.

I had a leg-rippin good ride tonight. Was 77 degrees. Was fun riding into the gloom of twilight as I was climbing an ever diminishing dirt road to nowhere. Rode 36.5 miles, averaged 17mph and climbed 2700+ feet. 

Kind of reminds me of this journey I did in December 2012. 72 hairpins, 5200 feet gained. Dirt road with rocks, dust and crap for the last section. Cold and very windy at the top, hot at the bottom.

However, the road did not have "hill" in its name. "Paso" will have to do, I guess.

I walked up a hill once. It was an awful experience.

I am a lazy piece of shit but jokes aside, one of the most enjoyable bike rides I ever did was down a little mountain called Mt. Majura in Canberra, a bit rough but if you control your speed it's loads of fun. Just don't ride into any of those 2-3 meter wide webs made by one of those nasty yellow and black 8 legged fuckers. On foot, the most memorable trek I've ever done was probably Diamond Head in O'ahu, but I guess this is about bike rides. I don't think a single road leading to either one of them has 'hill' in the title, so I'm currently sitting at -$200.

I once had a bike trip where we biked 50km through the country side and small villages up in the hill. It was fun until some kid went flying off their bike down hill and broke their arm.

Several years ago during a camping trip with my extended family, we were riding our bikes along a mountain trail that we really shouldn't have had bikes on. At one point the trail started getting really steep really fast so I hit the brakes... and accelerated. With no way to slow down I found myself screaming down the trail (both figuratively and literally) brushing up against several of my cousins as I shot past. I barely managed to make a sharp turn, avoiding a head-on collision with a tree, only to find that the trail now had a massive wash-out full of huge rocks. The bike I was on top of was suddenly on top of me and I nearly face-planted into a sharp rock. Thankfully, the bike helmet I had been wearing since I was eight (I was like sixteen when this happened) absorbed most of the impact and I received a scar on my forehead instead of a fractured skull cap. Ironically, earlier in that day I had said multiple times that the helmet would probably hurt me more if I were to crash, I guess the helmet was looking for the opportunity to prove me wrong.

*-$200*

Whadya mean that wasn't in the form of a question?

On 10/11/2018 at 5:27 AM, Doomkid said:

On foot, the most memorable trek I've ever done was probably Diamond Head in O'ahu

Yes, that's a beauty of a hike (except that it's always chock-full of people doing the same thing).

Although I've done many hikes, the two that stand out are:

1. One-day 17-mile round-trip from Jenny Lake up to Lake Solitude in the Grand Teton range in Wyoming. My legs and back were sore for days afterwards.

2. A 6-day hike in the Himalayas, when my friend slipped & slid about 600 ft down a steep and icy slope, I followed him down on that wild ride, we bedded down to the sound of scurrying animals, and we ended up scrambling through the wilderness for a whole day after that. Civilization never looked so good.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:47 PM, Grazza said:

Kind of reminds me of this journey I did in December 2012.

That looks phenomenal.

The longest bike trip I've done was a 2-day, 130 km round-trip. Mostly flat, but some hilly terrain. I was much younger back then, but I still needed a few days to recover.

Thanks for sharing your adventures! Here is the strava segment that Grazza did. Averages 8% grade, which is pretty steep. Similar to climbs they do in the Tour de France. That must've been killer, Grazza! Quite the elevation to be biking at. Did you train much for the ride? My ride was nothing compared to yours. Mine had 4 short little hills over a much greater distance and half the elevation gain; not to mention I ride around at 1000'. I want to do some big climbs soon, though.

https://www.strava.com/segments/8399276