Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Duke of Pathoris

Demonic corruption

My initial guess would be a meter indicating your progress on how many demons you have killed to enable yourself access to the next "arena" area.  My second guess would be a meter indicating how many of the secrets/general areas you have gone over in the entire map.  My third guess would be it means absolutely nothing and ID made it just to troll users to ask what it is. 

59 minutes ago, STILES said:

My initial guess would be a meter indicating your progress on how many demons you have killed to enable yourself access to the next "arena" area.  My second guess would be a meter indicating how many of the secrets/general areas you have gone over in the entire map.  My third guess would be it means absolutely nothing and ID made it just to troll users to ask what it is. 

It think I'll go with your first guess.

5 hours ago, STILES said:

My initial guess would be a meter indicating your progress on how many demons you have killed to enable yourself access to the next "arena" area.

Yeah, I’m gonna go with this. But instead of just the next arena, we could probably extrapolate that to the entire map, in which you have to clear a certain amount before the exit opens.

Your clear rate would probably also factor into the level completion (return of the kills %!). If this is the case, it also means that “lockdowns” are either less frequent or gone entirely, since you don’t have to kill every demon to move on.

It’s certainly an interesting alternative to just keycards and gore nests.

2 minutes ago, Pepsiman said:

Your clear rate would probably also factor into the level completion (return of the kills %!). If this is the case, it also means that “lockdowns” are either less frequent or gone entirely, since you don’t have to kill every demon to move on.

I really hope that's the case here, making the game more "classic" with the old intermission percentages screen.  They did say in a recent interview that arenas are still apart of Doom but that the execution will be different.

I'm willing to bet it has something to do with the amount of hell growth and demonic structures that still occupy the level. If gore nests play a part in this game (which I hope), then maybe clearing them and other similar structures out of a level helps to clear away the growth, hence less corruption. Maybe you get bonus upgrades or something for clearing it out entirely in a given level. Pure speculation at this point.

13 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I'm willing to bet it has something to do with the amount of hell growth and demonic structures that still occupy the level. If gore nests play a part in this game (which I hope), then maybe clearing them and other similar structures out of a level helps to clear away the growth, hence less corruption. Maybe you get bonus upgrades or something for clearing it out entirely in a given level. Pure speculation at this point.

I like this idea a lot! It feels like a natural progression of the gore nest.

13 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Well the first level we saw was pretty much one massive gores nest.  They come in all sizes!