Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ketmar

k8vavoom: no good thing ever dies!

5 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

btw, I notice that the teleport texture isn't animated in Hexen.

yeah, heretic, hexen, and strife got almost no love. i personally don't play h&h at all (i haet fantasy settings), and strife... eh, good idea, mediocre implementation. that is, there can be bugs, and many of them. can you provide a screenshot, and map/position, please (mypos will tell you it), so i can check the texture?

Hexen MAP01, the end of the level.. :)

The texture shows, I'm not sure which frame, it just doesn't animate.

22 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

The texture shows, I'm not sure which frame, it just doesn't animate

that is prolly because i killed old-style binary animdef lumps, and forgot to put that texture in new-style text animated lump. i did that for dooms, but not sure if i touched hexen, or simply left it without proper animdefs at all.

thank you, i'll check it.

oh, shit... texture animation is COMPLETELY fuckin' broken. it only worked by accident. and i really need to rewrite alot of code there, because i completely misread what ANIMDEF should do, and pulled the current code straight from my ass. thank you alot! as usuall, small visual inconsistence revealed a major bug.

Noticed the water texture at the very beginning in map02 of Hexen. It was doing something really different, this was before the most recent version of k8vavoom though. haven't checked with the new version yet..

~ it was something i dont think i'v encountered in a vanilla port before, the water texture scrolls and not completely repeats, it's like it turns translucent at the end of it's scroll loop.. strange. it should just be a solid texture, in vanilla. this may not only be the water texture however, it may be all scrolling textures.. will check..

i am pretty sure that most animations are broken. i did it all wrong. tried to be smart, and outsmarted myself. ;-)

btw, i remembered one of the reasons of my love to hexen (and heretic). i had to go to youtube to watch a playthrough video to find that exit. and first map is easy.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:46 AM, wrkq said:

... with crossed shotgun and chainsaw inlaid in gold on it?

and done! now we have Teh Official Logo. ;-) thank you for the idea.

first. amazing @Mr.Rocket did icons, so next build will have .exe and window icon (and some icon variants for you to choose from). thanx!

second. i rewrote ANIMDEF parser. water in Hexen MAP02 still sux for some reason, but at least we have animated portals now.

0_0 Well, I'm kinda honoured you liked my random "would be fun" comment this much!
I have to say that's some really nice concept work, Mister Rocket, sir... the final logo version with the gold plate in the background almost asks to be put on a ribbon and attached to a uniform now.

i recently remembered about Nash Duke3d-like fake shadows, and thought, "'cmon, why not?"

Spoiler

er3850.png

please, note that those are not real! that is, they won't follow slopes, won't be casted on walls, totally ignoring light sources, and so on. but if you like the effect, you'll be able to turn it on in the next public build.

quickfix: actually, i'll prolly make it opt-out, because otherwise people won't see that SUPER-MEGA-GIGA-COOL-SHADOWS, because nobody has enough patience to check all option menus. ;-)

Edited by ketmar

Ah that will look freak'n nice!

quickfix: actually, i'll prolly make it opt-out, because otherwise people won't see that SUPER-MEGA-GIGA-COOL-SHADOWS, because nobody has enough patience to check all option menus. ;-)

lol ok

Edited by Mr.Rocket

20 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Oh you mean this one?:

k8_icon4.png.69ac61fc2e48b27515f19414189afa5d.png

Thanks! ;)

Hero of the Doom Revolution!

Hero of the Doom Revolution!

Heh, ok I wouldn't go that far.. ~ it's just an icon. ;)

Actually played a few levels of Sigil last night in k8vavoom, pretty cool!

Any time frame on the next release?

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Any time frame on the next release?

sorry, i don't know. as those are not "releases" per se, just "public test builds", i don't have a release schedule. "when it's done." ;-)

actually, it works this way: once i have something "new and heavy" planned for implementation (or at least want to rest several days), i'm playing various wads for day or two, and if there are no fatal bugs, i'm uploading the build.

maybe next week, i have good enough changelog, i guess. ;-)

p.s.: Si6il with glowmaps looks even more interesting. fullbright glowing lava creates interesting looks.

On 7/29/2019 at 2:03 AM, ketmar said:

yeah, heretic, hexen, and strife got almost no love. i personally don't play h&h at all (i haet fantasy settings), and strife... eh, good idea, mediocre implementation. that is, there can be bugs, and many of them. can you provide a screenshot, and map/position, please (mypos will tell you it), so i can check the texture?

I know i'm not you, and you have far less time than i do (probably), but there's no reason to not give Raven IWADs some love. Try them out every two weeks, a cursory glance to see if everything is OK and nothing is obviously wrong.

I don't play Hexen or Strife either but most of my mods have full support for them because it's not really anything that will cost me an arm, nor anything i feel obligated to add at the very start. More like an afterthought and i go fixing bugs slowly after it's added.

EDIT: Hm, how about we continue fixing the TDBots for k8Vavoom? I have a gut feeling something is awry on the CustomInventory handling in particular.

Edited by -TDRR-

Please forgive me if this is answered somewhere in the thread, but do you know why I'm getting this behavior? I'm getting it on these versions

k8vavoom_540717

k8vavoom_540628

@DuckReconMajor it looks like something is VERY wrong with your system. this may be due to your drivers, or something like that. that is, there is nothing in k8vavoom code that can produce glitches like that on itself. i don't even know what to say...

can you please run k8vavoom with

+gl_dump_vendor true +gl_dump_extensions true

(on the command line), and give me "conlog.log" file?

2 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

Try them out every two weeks, a cursory glance to see if everything is OK and nothing is obviously wrong.

i'm trying to do that. yet i wouldn't notice broken animations anyway, because i both don't have enough patience to finish even one map, and i'd missed that broken animation anyway, because i don't really know *how* it should look like. ;-)

that is, i am trying to make sure that it starts, but that's prolly as much as i can do.

2 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

Hm, how about we continue fixing the TDBots for k8Vavoom? I have a gut feeling something is awry on the CustomInventory handling in particular.

sure, i'm all (elven) ears!

@DuckReconMajor now i am completely lost. it looks like everything should work. sorry, i don't know. it looks like something is interfering with k8vavoom rendering, trying to "fix" something unknown. i'd love to help, but i really dunno what i can say here. maybe some other windows user would be able to help (i don't have windows, and cannot reproduce the bug with wine).

EDIT: Sorry for double post, this internet is seriously terrible.

Edited by -TDRR-

The only thing i can say about that bug is that it appears to be a driver issue. Not happening here on a Intel HD 3000, GL 4.0 support, stock drivers and Windows 7 Lite. We don't even know what exact hardware @DuckReconMajor is running it on, along with which drivers and which OS specifically.

Sorry about taking so long to reply but the only Internet connection i got is just abysmal. By the way, the TDBots version i will be using for testing is older than the current version (mid-v14 development vs v16) but that's because most of the changes aren't yet portable and i just want to get the bots running first, that's my primary goal.

First of all, here's why i think it's the CustomInventory item handling: The only thing the bots do here is everything handled on the ACS side. Chatting, going between animation states and spawning the tdbots_buff items is everything the bots can do. Everything else, like the targeting system, the movement and more simply don't work at all. It's certainly no coincidence that those things are the ones handled via the DECORATE side using CustomInventory items.

Additionally, the bots crash when you shoot them, not sure why. I can't download the latest version right now (Again this internet connection sucks) so i'm not sure if providing a conlog is of any use. If you still have the TDBotsV14Vavoom.pk3 file i sent you earlier, you can easily reproduce the crash on any map and any mod.

In my opinion, fixing CustomInventory items are a MASSIVELY important thing to tackle if you want any decent ZDoom support, because CustomInventory items are practically the backbone of most gameplay mods around.

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

We don't even know what exact hardware @DuckReconMajor is running it on, along with which drivers

this is what we know, it is there in logs:

Init: GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
Init: GL_RENDERER: GeForce RTX 2060/PCIe/SSE2
Init: GL_VERSION: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 431.60

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

If you still have the TDBotsV14Vavoom.pk3 file i sent you earlier, you can easily reproduce the crash on any map and any mod.

yeah, i have it. will check.

@-TDRR- so far i see that we have an VM stack overflow due to infinite recursion (which is caught much better now, thank you!). it seems that i did something wrong in `A_LookEx()`, and got into infinite callstate chain loop.

@-TDRR- and now i see. `GiveInventory()` works like this:

1. spawns item

2. emulates item pickup by calling the corresponding method

here, item is spawned at player's location, because... because that is what the default. do you see?

item is spawned. then pickup handler called. then bot tries to wander (due to `A_LookEx()` flags; and we're still inside item's pickup handler!). then it immediately hits the spawned item, and tries to pick it up. and it goes on, and on, and on until it blows up the stack. lol.

i workarounded this, and VM doesn't crash anymore. yet it needs some more thinking.

Edited by ketmar

@DuckReconMajor, I have not seen that in any previous release or the most recent, rather amusing, but down right awful at the same time.

You're not running any scripts or addons etc?

@Mr.Rocket nope, it is basically standard run. that's why i am absolutely puzzled. i hoped that i can blame AMD drivers, but there's nvidia. i thought that it may be something like reshade, but tbh, i cannot imagine any way for reshade to fuckup projection matrix/vertex coords.

It's freak'n weird looking.. It almost seems as the FOV is trying to be applied to the player HUD graphic instead of world view, or the player HUD graphic is trying to wrap a player HUD model that doesn't exist.