Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ketmar

k8vavoom: no good thing ever dies!

Regarding voxels, I realize quite a lot of work went into the triangulation, but would it be possible to have "raw" particle mode too? Square/round particles raw mode toggle would be awesome too.

If it seems like stupid idea, please disregard.

Here, according to the "round particles" (which appear during the explosion). They can set the level of damage, like from shrapnel?

6 hours ago, 3t0 said:

but would it be possible to have "raw" particle mode too? Square/round particles raw mode toggle would be awesome too.

there is simply no voxel data left after building a mesh. also, voxel model is hollow inside. and the renderer can render only textured triangle soup/triangle fan. so it is possible, but will require some significant rewriting of renderer. definitely not now. ;-)

p.s.: also note that you need a proper model for volumetric (stenciled) shadows. and shadowmaps won't look that good too. there are ways to render small voxel models entirely with GPU shaders, but it will require bumping minimum OpenGL version, and quite recent GPU for good performance. and rewriting the whole renderer for new GPUs too. ;-)

1 hour ago, camper said:

Here, according to the "round particles" (which appear during the explosion). They can set the level of damage, like from shrapnel?

it's a purely visual effect, they don't exist in the game world, and cannot interact with it. i.e. the answer is "no, sorry".

Edited by ketmar

Might be a weird feature suggestion, but what if you add ScriptCall ACS function with the same behavior as in GZDoom, but invoking VavoomC static functions instead of ZScript ones? Or, well, I could write it myself if you tell me where to send pull requests (...I don't see such feature on repo.or.cz?)

IIRC, ketmar has previously discouraged using VavoomC on the rational that it basically creates a maintenance burden as it gives a lot less wiggle room to do internal changes to it without risking breaking mods.

1 hour ago, usernameak said:

Might be a weird feature suggestion, but what if you add ScriptCall ACS function with the same behavior as in GZDoom, but invoking VavoomC static functions instead of ZScript ones?

but why? i mean, what do you want to accomplish with that? i mostly don't want people to use VavoomC (at least not until it is strictly necessary). DECORATE and ACS can be implemented mostly anywhere (at least partially), but VC/ZS can't. also, as Gez noted, encouraging people to use VavoomC will force me to freeze it, effectively blocking any further major engine changes (because Vavoom is not "scripted in VavoomC", it is written in VavoomC, even physics and playsim).

you can add new DECORATE actions with VavoomC code, though, if you really need to. i see this as a better way of modding, because other engines could reimplement those new actions with ZS/C/C++, and the mod will work there too.

so, if you have something you want to do, and you feel that k8vavoom is missing some specific API, i may simply add that new API instead of giving access directly to engine internals.

Do you think it would be possible to include an exception for the "SpawnMulti" property in the ZMAPINFO parser?

I have a wad (100 Line Massacre) that includes a custom difficulty mode for ZDoom ports that includes this in the skills definition.

I realise that "SpawnMulti" is a relatively new addition of ZMAPINFO, so I'm not surprised that K8vavoom doesn't support it...

While old ZDoom ports (exoriginal ZDoom and Zandronum) don't support this command, they still load the wad just fine and just throwing an error message in the console.

K8vavoom however is the only port that seems to just hard crash during startup while reading this line.

I'm not necessarily asking for the full implementation of the "SpawnMulti" property. Mostly I'd just like the port not to hard crash when it reads that line and to instead read past it, since the wad works perfectly fine otherwise.

SpawnMulti is a skill setting flag that makes multiplayer-only things get spawned in single-player mode too. It basically allows to recreate the Ultra-Violence+ mode from Doom Classic Unity port (to wit: SpawnFilter = hard, FastMonsters, SpawnMulti).

On 4/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, Arsinikk said:

Do you think it would be possible to include an exception for the "SpawnMulti" property in the ZMAPINFO parser?

thank you, i'll look at it. will try to implement support for the next public build.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, Arsinikk said:

K8vavoom however is the only port that seems to just hard crash during startup while reading this line.

this is the way k8vavoom works: i prefer it to abort when it sees something it doesn't understand, instead of silently ignoring everything. because nobody reads warnings anyway. ;-)

WARNING! THIS IS VERY OFFICIAL! ;-)

for several reasons, i don't feel like i can freely express myself on DoomWorld anymore. i won't be reading this topic, and won't publish k8vavoom updates here. this DOESN'T mean that k8vavoom development is stopped, no wai. i have no intention to drop the project, and new exciting engine features are on their way!

please, note that you can report bugs and request features directly at Fossil repo too. you don't have to register there, just login as anonymous. tickets are premoderated, so don't worry if they won't appear immediately. there is a very simple forum there too, so if you have any k8v-related questions, you can ask 'em there.

i am really sorry for how things turned out. stay with us at our new home if you can, you won't be disappointed!

ketmar is off, and logged out.

Well done mod team: you just intimidated and persecuted a port dev off the boards.

A normal reaction would be to analyse what happened here.

But I know you won't.

12 hours ago, ketmar said:

please, note that you can report bugs and request features directly at Fossil repo too. you don't have to register there, just login as anonymous. tickets are premoderated, so don't worry if they won't appear immediately. there is a very simple forum there too, so if you have any k8v-related questions, you can ask 'em there.

Oh nice, you got the forum up and running.  I'm already on the Fossil repo to report tickets and make the rare patch, and I'm looking forward to using the forum now as well ^_^ (not to mention the CCD stuff...)

@Arsinikk, in the case you are on Windows and don't want to wait a public release, you can grab my current build here. I was able to load 100 Line Massacre with it and play first five levels, so on some basic level it works.