Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ketmar

k8vavoom: no good thing ever dies! (2021, Dec 31 build)

2 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

Ah, it makes sense. -ignore-zscript?

yep. ;-)

2 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

I think I already told you this, but TAoS for Zandro exists

it seems that i missed it. thank you, i'll take a look. for now, k8vavoom knows about TAoS v1.86 -- that was one of the last versions with decorate support. sadly, the author removed old versions from the site (at least i didn't found them last time i checked).

5 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

I didn't remove the ZScript lump I think so it'll require -ignore-zscript, I might try later but no real testing 'cause framerates won't be good at all :p

i may add it as "known mod" for the next public build. actually, you can do it yourself, there is basev/detectors.txt file that contains all "known mods", checksums to detect them (by lumps), and various options to apply.

oops. just looked at it, and it seems that it is exactly the version i have, lol. k8vavoom already knows about it, and can run it without any additional options.

@-TDRR- i added credits to detector, so it now properly reports it as "The Adventures of Square/Zandro, ported by TDRR".

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

@-TDRR- i added credits to detector, so it now properly reports it as "The Adventures of Square/Zandro, ported by TDRR".

Ah, that's nice, thank you. Might also help out quite a bit with people thinking that official TAOS is supported by K8Vavoom!
I'll also mention K8Vavoom in the title of the thread, so people know it'll work for it too.

in the meantime i added experimental OPL music player (based on NukedOPL). it is "experimental" because i didn't spent much efforts to make sure that it replays everything right yet, but it is works... more-or-less. some people prefer that "old-school" sound (including me sometimes).

Hey ketmar! Looking good with the new builds!!! I tested the new build with my upcoming "Dissolution: Remastered" and found two potential issues. First, underwater  rendering is broken when using the 161: "sector set contents: Vavoom compatibility" underwater method. GZDoom works correctly, while in K8Vavoom he falls right through it. Silent Steel: Remastered uses this method throughout the maps.

Also one last nit pick. Animated water/lava flats no longer work in Gothic Dreams: Definitive Edition

For some odd reason they work fine in this demo wad. Thank you for your hard work!!!!  

LiquidTest.zip

2 hours ago, Gunrock said:

First, underwater  rendering is broken when using the 161: "sector set contents: Vavoom compatibility" underwater method. GZDoom works correctly, while in K8Vavoom he falls right through it.

eh. it seems that i broke it while fixing other things. thank you!

2 hours ago, Gunrock said:

Also one last nit pick. Animated water/lava flats no longer work in Gothic Dreams: Definitive Edition

For some odd reason they work fine in this demo wad.

thanks, i'll check both issues. hope to fix them for the next build.

also, some small news for you all: while i am working on improved widget system (it is mostly user-invisible code changes), i added combobox-like selectors for all "option" menu items. not the best-looking thing, but at least you can select value from a list now instead of blindly pressing left/right to check all possible options.

Spoiler

dk1tzi.png

@SovietPony did the initial work on using VBO instead of old `glVertex()` rendering (thanks!). i picked it up, and now i am converting most rendering pathes to VBO. even in its current form without any geometry caching it should be slightly faster than the old code due to less OpenGL calls.

why it matters? first, this makes GLES port easier. second, sooner or later i will switch to OpenGL core profile, and it doesn't have those old APIs. third, i am planning to implement geometry data caching, which will allow the engine to avoid starting each frame from the scratch (i.e. part of the map geometry will be resident in GPU RAM, which means less data transfers).

even without the caching the engine tries to group surfaces by their properties to minimise context switches, which means ~10 times less OpenGL calls. this is not such a huge improvement as it seems (because in the end of the day the amout of data sent to a GPU is the limiting factor, and that amount is still roughly the same), but the situation is still better than it was before.

tl;dr: switching to VBO should (i hope) improve performance both on old and on new GPUs (less OpenGL calls is always better). there is still a long road ahead, but we did first important steps.

today is a big day! exactly two years ago i decided to finally fork Vavoom and start k8vavoom development. that day i made my first non-cosmetic commit. yay!

K8Vavoom is what got me back into mapping! Congrats Ketmar for all your hard work!!!!

thank you all! i can only say that i am still at least as enthisiastic as i was two years ago. actually, i guess that i even more enthusiastic these days, because now i understand the codebase much better. the only thing i really don't have enough is time to implement everything i want as soon as possible. if only i could write code while i am sleeping... ;-)

thank you all for you support, for your reports, for your maps, and for simply using k8vavoom to play Doom! even if you did it just once out of curiousity. ;-)

and remember: no good thing ever dies!

@Gunrock: and btw, i fixed both bugs you reported.

missing animations was due to my parser (for some reason i don't remember properly) only allowed ranged animations in wads, not in pk3s. i think i did it that way because of some broken mod, but meh. i commented out that check, and will investigate it closer if somebody'll report broken anim in the future. GD:DE animations works now.

and water was indeed broken: i rewrote "get contents for the point" function, and forgot to check Vavoom-style water there. it should work now too.

thank you for reports and for test map!

Hello!
For Linux users, I wrote a small script that will build/update k8avoom for you!
What this script does:

• Checking dependencies for building;
  • Creating building environment;
  • When you installed in earlier with this script, he checks source updates and will update you build;
  • And building k8vavoom, of course. :)
  • Installs a little Terminal Ponies for you system.

Thanks @SovietPony for helping.

UPD. The script now has two versions - without a pseudo-interface (vShell) and with a pseudo-interface (vDialog). The second version of the script assumes the presence of "dialog" on your machine!

Updates:

Spoiler

vShell_2.0:

[=] Reworked script: deleted distribution checking, using "select" for dialogue.

vDialog_1.0:

[+] Initial Release.

vShell_1.5:

[=] Added comments to some code.

v1.1:

[=] Improved distribution checking.

v1.0:

[+] Arch-based distributions support!

v0.7:

[=] Improved dependencies checking.

v0.6:

[=] Updated dependencies list:

1. Removed JPEG, PNG, Zlib checking;
   2. Added OpenGL checking.
   3. Added Git, pkg-config, Sudo and Cmake checking.
[=] Some improvements.

v0.5:
[=] First release!

k8vavoom_scripts.zip

Edited by TerminalHash : Updated acrhive.

oh, #@@^%^! @Mr.Rocket accidentally opened a can full of worms named "3d slopes". those bastards happily swallows projectiles (without any explosion), but in the same time are really happy to let hitscan attacks pass through. Doom 2D tracing is not very good at sloped flats.

i made several workarounds, let's hope that they will work (at least most of the time ;-).

Will a midi mapper be added? It is very strange not to see this, and Fluid is not ideal.

no. first, i don't have windows, and second, i want all generated sound samples to be routed through k8vavoom sound system. so even if somebody will contribute the code (something i don't expect, because i got zero patches from windows devs so far ;-), i won't use it due to the second reason. sorry.

also, FluidSynth is one of the best synthesizers out there (i believe), it is definitely (again, i believe ;-) better than built-in windows one. maybe you can try different soundfonts to make it sound better?

I've usually just slapped the sound font from gzdoom into k8vavoom directly..

By default there's a little bit of reverb and imo, it sounds better than gzdoom's midi heh. 

ps. check your pm's @ketmar, I've ran into another can of worms which hopefully may bring some things to light having to do with 3dfloor slopes also.

2 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

ps. check your pm's @ketmar, I've ran into another can of worms which hopefully may bring some things to light having to do with 3dfloor slopes also.

yeah, thank you. our slopes are full of bugs! ;-)

i suddenly decided to play HacX (never even finished the first map, and still can't, lol), so i added "-hacx" option to support HacX v1.2 IWAD. i also created light definitions for HacX items (because default torch colors aren't fun at all). and fixed several bugs with lighting along the way. now ceiling lights are emiting proper spotlight down to the floor, and broken lamps don't leave orphaned light sources.

this was slightly harder than it sounds, because most lamps are converted to static lights, so i had to finish my static light manager too. but it all seems to work now.

p.s.: just to be clear: i didn't get past the first map not because HacX is bad, it looks fun. but somehow each time i tried to play it, soon i was distracted either by some bug in the engine, or by something else.

Edited by ketmar

Hey,

Does k8vavoom have support for sky cams? ~ before I go to the trouble of trying to figure out why I'm not seeing it. ;)

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Does k8vavoom have support for sky cams?

nope. until now i didn't even knew that it exists, and i still don't know what it is. ;-)

p.s.: it seems to be some Eternity portal trickery. sorry, no wai yet: everything portal-related is completely broken in k8vavoom (mirrors and stacked sectors too; even skies are sometimes broken). that code should be completely rewritten first, but you know how it usually goes... ;-)

Ah well I guess I totally worded that wrong anyway, I should have said: Skybox Viewpoint..

Thing Type: 9080

Class: Sky Viewpoint

9 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Thing Type: 9080

Class: Sky Viewpoint

yeah, the thing 9080 is there, yeah. but it may glitch for the same reasons other portal things are glitching (it is technically closer to portals than to something else). sky rendering code is something i still not fully understand. ;-)

Well in a previous map I did, I put a skybox in it and used a skybox viewpoint, but not so much to view a skybox but I placed a translucent 3dfloor just above it.

The 3dfloor had a cloud texture that scrolled, giving the impression of clouds rolling by at a slightly different speed and angle than its background sky.

Anyway, it doesn't look like I'm getting a skybox viewpoint. or if I am, the 3dfloor isn't being rendered through the viewpoint..

~ Which I can live without (for now) :P

I know you have a bit more on the plate atm. ;)

Edited by Mr.Rocket

12 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Anyway, it doesn't look like I'm getting a skybox viewpoint. or if I am, the 3dfloor isn't being rendered through the viewpoint..

yeah, it is "portal rendering", which wasn't working very good with shader renderers in the first place. it also needs some weird setup with z-buffer, and requires stencils -- and i am using those things for lighting, decals, and some other effects. that code (portals) should be completely redesigned, and rewritten using some other tech, but i don't have a good solution yet. so i just pretending that it is not so important for now. ;-)

Oh, I love the stencil shadowing btw!

It just looks freaking awesome.

In the map I'm working on, there's an underground passage with a lift, the stencil shadowing looks really cool there.

I'm not sure if it's in the version I sent ya, but you have to shoot the lift to activate it, well a projectile has enter the sector.

yeah, that's the rendering mode i am usually playing (and i still have some optimisation ideas for it; not much, but even 1 more FPS is good! ;-). it greatly fits into Doom sector lighting with its hard edges, i believe. i still want to implement the third mode -- shadow mapping. that should allow shadows from textures with holes, for example. but my gfx programming skills are very limited (yeah, i am learning as i am writing the code), so don't expect it to arrive soon. ;-)

p.s.: yeah, with proper light sources shadow volumes are really impressive. especially with opening doors/moving platforms/etc. the engine can recalc "static" lightmaps on the fly too, but it is quite slow.

It sounds similar to projection lighting in Doom3, which are really fun to make btw. ;)

Basically a light that projects an image, eg stained glass or like you're saying a brick wall texture with a few missing bricks where light projects or casts the holes onto another wall.

Though I suppose you're talking the other way around where the shadow is casted, but similar effect.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

38 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Basically a light that projects an image

yeah, this is slightly different thing, but from the same "realm". ;-) i may implement projected lights someday, they may be used to create alot of interesting effects (like F.E.A.R. does with its ceiling lamps, for example -- lamp itself doesn't cast any shadows, they're just painted on the projected texture). thanks for reminding me about this thing!