Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ketmar

k8vavoom: no good thing ever dies!

so, i back... i think. it's so hard to be a coding addict. ;-)

Did the DDF to VavoomC converter ever work?

Also the old 3d models pack doesn't work. Seems to complain about an image not being the correct format?

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Did the DDF to VavoomC converter ever work?

i don't even know if that thing ever existed. but even if it was, k8vavoom VavoomC is not fully compatible with Vavoom VavoomC.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Also the old 3d models pack doesn't work. Seems to complain about an image not being the correct format?

yep, it is broken, and always was broken. new image loaders are more strict, so they revealed the bug.

I just re-saved the problematic PNGs and it works, thanks.

Another quick question: it seems textures between the HI_START/HI_END are not being scaled to their Doom equivalents? Or is it an option I'm not seeing in the menus?

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

it seems textures between the HI_START/HI_END are not being scaled to their Doom equivalents?

it may or may not work: hires texture support was semi-broken in the original (it barely worked), i fixed some things, but could break others. i don't really care much about hires textures (i mean, i'm not using them ;-), so i tested some common cases (mostly with zdoom "textures" lump) and called it a day.

if you're willing to share a problematic wad, i'll take a look, and will try to fix it. hires texture support can be turned off, but should be "on" by default, so if it doesn't work, it is prolly a bug, and i'll fix it if i'll get a test wad. thank you for reporting!

Disregard and sorry for the hassle: it's a problem with the wad itself, your port is perfect 😉

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Disregard and sorry for the hassle: it's a problem with the wad itself, your port is perfect 😉

thank you! finally, somebody noticed that k8vavoom is Teh Best Sourceport in the World! ;-)

some dev info: i think that the next build is coming soon. i mean, week or something. at least i hope so. it is mostly about rewritting decal code, no major fixes. decals was the first big thing i added to Vavoom engine, and i didn't touched that code for years, and that code was awful. so i had to rewrite almost half of it. i'm not satisfied with the new code yet, but it is slightly better and more maintainable.

do not adjust your sets, tho, we'll have some floor decals to show you! ;-)

Hi,

While testing net game stuff out, there's only so many computers I can use as not all of them have the needed video hardware that support OpenGL.

So I'm sure its been asked, but is there a way to run in software mode, or will there ever be?

Thanks

31 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

is there a way to run in software mode, or will there ever be?

nope, sorry. k8vavoom renderer is quite complex, and i will need to reimplement the huge subset of OpenGL (and GLSL) in software to support even the lightmapped mode (depth buffer, stencil buffer, etc.). it is doable, but very time consuming, and the implementation will be hard to maintain. Janis removed SW rendering in Vavoom exactly because it became too cumbersome to support, and i have no plans to restore it. the only thing i can do is trying to keep minimum OpenGL requirements at OpenGL 2.1/GLSL120, and even that is hard. i really-really-really want to bump OpenGL requirements to at least OpenGL3.3, tbh. there are no plans to do that yet, but i *will* eventually do it. i mean, there's no need to worry right now, but in 2 or 3 years k8vavoom may start requiring OpenGL3.3. ;-)

On 6/17/2021 at 5:36 PM, Mr.Rocket said:

Hi,

While testing net game stuff out, there's only so many computers I can use as not all of them have the needed video hardware that support OpenGL.

So I'm sure its been asked, but is there a way to run in software mode, or will there ever be?

Thanks

You can use Mesa3D for software rendering... if you have fast cpu.

just in case (i know that nobody asked, but... ;-): there are no plans to support DEHEXTRA or MBF21.

DEHACKED MUST DIE.

there is no surgery that could make it tolerable. sorry.

i know that some people may not be happy about that, but i hate dehacked with a passion, and it is a massive PITA to implement/maintain. so if you want to be sure that your map will not work properly in k8vavoom, you can use one of those features, and save yourself from k8vavoom bug reports. ;-)

p.s.: let me explain myself a little. dehacked is... well, a hack. and it doesn't play good with decorate and other advanced features. yes, there is dehacked support in k8vavoom (inherited from Vavoom, and bugfixed), but that's as far as i will go with it. it is already a mess i barely understand, and adding more of that mess will only make things worser.

i may come with the tool that converts various dehacked patches to decorate later, tho. but don't expect it to do a good work, and i won't integrate it into k8vavoom. this is the same situation as with maps which abusing vanilla renderer bugs: i added minimal support for that, and i won't go further.

it is a question of time and efforts: implementing full support for such things is time-consuming, those implementations are hard to maintain, and may prevent some future engine advancements. so i chose to not do it. there are alot of other sourceports with support for such features, and maps with DEHEXTRA and such aren't using any k8vavoom advanced features anyway, so you will not lose much playing them in another sourceport. while i may understand the desire to have One Sourceport To Rule Them All ;-), let's be honest: we all have several sourceports installed anyway. and i have to manage my time, so i'd better work on something that will make k8vavoom more unique and pleasant to use. ;-)

Edited by ketmar : added long explanations

the end next build is near! i hope. flat decals, 3d pobj fixes, alias arguments, console variable substitution, and other boring things will be there. i'm silent in this topic, but k8vavoom development is at full speed, as usual! ;-)

Edge map compatibility boost too I have heard 😉

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Edge map compatibility boost too I have heard 😉

a little. ;-) more work on EDGE features scheduled to future releases. stay tuned for more news! ;-)

6 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

Well that is exciting news! :)

yeah, improving EDGE support moved much higher in my TODO list. @Lobo greatly helped me with motivation, test maps, and implementation, and we already fixed/improved many things. and we're planning to improve it even more. anyway, all "thank you"s for working EDGE features should go to @Lobo, without him i can do only non-working features. ;-)

You did the hard work, I just did the whining 😉

that is the harderst! ;-) writing code is easy. testing is hard. you don't see him here, but most of k8vavoom improvements were made because id0 (another official k8vavoom dev) constantly pinging me, and testing everything, even in most weird configurations.

so i am dead serious here (ketmar desperately trying to be dead serious): people who asking for features, and help with testing/implementation are the main driving force. stand proud, and accept your fame with dignity!

added new ACS API to "move and rotate" 3d polyobjects. when using spots, spot angles will be used for rotation.

demo video. complex cabin (don't mind the architecture ;-) is moving by map spots. yes, you can create simple trains with this. without opening and closing cabin doors yet, tho (actually, it is possible, but quite hard, and will require some ACS trickery).

Very cool!

I'm imagining that with rocket sprites underneath as "propulsion" for the platform.

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm imagining that with rocket sprites underneath as "propulsion" for the platform.

hm. this will require "linked things", to attach sprites and let the engine do everything else. i put that in my TODO list, thank you!

I can imagine these rotating 3D polyobjects being very useful for an underground rail system or Doom 3-style machinery for example.

and even funnier video: Real Cabin With Doors. yay.

@ENEMY!!! this, and more. as you can see, it is possible to create even funnier things. yes, sliding doors should be possible too, they just won't look good with this cage. ;-)

so, i wanted to make "happy birthday ketmar" release again, and yet again i failed that goal. but it is really coming Very Soon!i hope

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

so, i wanted to make "happy birthday ketmar" release again, and yet again i failed that goal. but it is really coming Very Soon!i hope

Happy birthday sir! Glory to the Vavoom Empire.

;)