Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ketmar

k8vavoom: no good thing ever dies!

4 minutes ago, ketmar said:

as we have a fuckin' war here, the project is on hold now. sorry. have to play real-life CoD/Battlefield for a little. not my favorite type of games, tbh.

Please stay safe :(  DM me if there's anything I can do for you and K8 for now.

7 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Please stay safe :(  DM me if there's anything I can do for you and K8 for now.

thank you! sadly, you can't do anything now (neither can i), only wait and hope for the best. or at least for something not really bad. ;-)

Just now, ketmar said:

thank you! sadly, you can't do anything now (neither can i), only wait and hope for the best. or at least for something not really bad. ;-)

Well for now I'll make sure to keep extra backups of the Fossil repo just in case your computer gets broken ^_^

14 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Well for now I'll make sure to keep extra backups of the Fossil repo just in case your computer gets broken ^_^

yeah, that would be great! sure, there is git mirror, but Fossil also has tickets, and such. tbh, that's what i hoped people will do — clone my fossil to make backups for me. ;-)

2 hours ago, pramenid said:

All the best!  Enjoying Ancient Aliens this week :)

yay. i didn't finished it, too hard for me. and i'm happy to read that at least other people are ok, and living their normal lives. it's the best support. just don't report bugs for now, please, 'cause they may be missed. ;-)

Hey man! Hope you're doing alright, good luck out there.

I've recently tried to compile and run k8v on Puppy Slacko 8.3.2 beta, which was shockingly, really easy! Didn't expect the only requirement to be SDL2, that's awesome.
But I've run into an issue. While shadowmaps work fine,  neither stencil shadows nor lightmaps work. Stencil shadows just behave as if dyn lights had been disabled, and lightmapping looks like... this:

Spoiler

Screenshot.png.691414db51994342f5223ba8981bfe14.png

I assume that's due to this:

Init: OpenGL: Intel Open Source Technology Center / Mesa DRI Intel(R) G41 (ELK) / 2.1 Mesa 21.1.1
Error: OpenGL: your GPU drivers are absolutely broken.
Error: OpenGL: reported OpenGL version is NOTHING, which is a nonsense.
Error: OpenGL: expect crashes and visual glitches (if the engine will run at all).

Any workaround for that? (and, I'd stick with shadowmapping, but performance decays really, REALLY quick on this old iGPU)

41 minutes ago, TDRR said:

Any workaround for that?

alas, there is only one way to fix it: throw away that crappy intel gpu emulator. the engine says the exact reason why nothing will work as expected. the hardware is perfectly capable to do everything k8vavoom needs, but the drivers are FUBARed.

p.s.: as i can't actively work on k8vavoom now, i wanted to upload the maintenance build with some small bugfixes, but sadly, catbox.moe upload server is down. if it will start accepting uploads again, i'll make a release.

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

alas, there is only one way to fix it: throw away that crappy intel gpu emulator. the engine says the exact reason why nothing will work as expected. the hardware is perfectly capable to run everything k8vavoom needs, but the drivers are FUBARed.

Fair enough, that's reasonable. Either way I just decided to lower the resolution and played around with some of the shadowmap and light filtering features, and squeezed some more performance out. Looks pretty and runs acceptably, so I'm happy! :p

I wonder, though- are there any other options? Going back to Windows for this PC is an absolute no for me, those drivers are horrible and crash exceedingly often. And in Linux, well the other ones I know are practically ancient Mesa versions under a different name, AFAICT. Either way, I'll stick with this, so thanks anyways.

34 minutes ago, TDRR said:

I wonder, though- are there any other options?

sadly, i don't think so. intel drivers cannot even report OpenGL version — so don't expect anything to work there. they have broken shaders, broken stencil buffer, broken FBO, broken scissoring, broken multitexturing… basically, everything is completely broken. it's not a kind of "not quite right" situation, all those things are completely broken, and cannot be workarounded with any hacks. i spent a lot of time trying, but then simply gave up; mission impossible.

here's the promised maintenance build.

changelog:

Spoiler

* fixed `A_ZoomFactor()` (all args are optional) (thanks, TDRR!)
* relaxed non-3d pobj checks, so Hexen maps should work again (thanks, TDRR!)
* fixed infinite loop in 3d pobj speed calc (thanks, Remilia Scarlet!)
* fixed typo in `VEntity::IsRealBlockingLine()` (3d pobj/map coldet) (thanks, Remilia Scarlet!)
* `AmbientSound` actor should stop ambient sound on BODY channel (because it was started on BODY too)
* fixed invalid detection of insta-move ceilings, that caused annoying sound farts (thanks, pramenid!)

and, by the way…

FUCK ALL WARS!

4 hours ago, ketmar said:

p.s.: as i can't actively work on k8vavoom now, i wanted to upload the maintenance build with some small bugfixes, but sadly, catbox.moe upload server is down. if it will start accepting uploads again, i'll make a release.

I can mirror stuff on my own sites if you need. 

9 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I can mirror stuff on my own sites if you need.

thank you! i simply don't want to create additional traffic for your (or someone else's) host. catbox is quite stable for downloads, but it seems that their hosting has some kind of daily upload limit, which resets around a midnight. yet i thought about asking you to put the build on your site if catbox won't work, so thanks for the offering! ;-)

@pramenid as for your other bugs:

the elevator is made with linked sectors (`Sector_SetLink` special). it is not fully supported in k8vavoom yet (i need a set of simple test maps to properly implement it, because the whole plane moving code should be rewritten for that). it is planned, though.

as for wrong textures — they are using negative Y scale (to flip them). this hack is not documented anywhere, and is not officially supported by k8vavoom. negative scales have absolutely no sense, and they are working only due to the way GZDoom texture mapping is implemented (i.e. it is abusing the implementation detail of that sourceport). k8vavoom does texture mapping in a completely different way (not UV texture coords, but ST texture vectors, exactly like Quake and Unreal), so the hack doesn't work as expected. it's not that easy to make it work with k8vavoom texture mapping method, so i simply stopped trying for now. ;-)

p.s.: i implemented a workaround for negative Y scales, but… it is very fragile, and prolly wrong anyway. but at least textures are moving in the right direction now. ;-)

Edited by ketmar

10 hours ago, ketmar said:

thank you! i simply don't want to create additional traffic for your (or someone else's) host. catbox is quite stable for downloads, but it seems that their hosting has some kind of daily upload limit, which resets around a midnight. yet i thought about asking you to put the build on your site if catbox won't work, so thanks for the offering! ;-)

I technically have unlimited space and bandwidth, so that isn't an issue. Just DM me or catch me on IRC sometime ^_^

Thanks for looking at the issues I reported and glad you're able to communicate. 

FWIW, Ancient Aliens runs fine, rendering and behavior-wise.  There I also encounter the issue about sound propagating from monsters hiding in monster closets. 

Otherwise, enjoying loading quicksaves with ~200k decals of blood and slime all over the level.  It's a blast!

8 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I technically have unlimited space and bandwidth, so that isn't an issue. Just DM me or catch me on IRC sometime ^_^

thank you! catbox works for now, but maybe i'll ask you to host archive with all public builds later (yes, i have all of them for some reason ;-).

4 hours ago, pramenid said:

Thanks for looking at the issues I reported

tbh, you're just lucky. i mean, i more or less know what is causing that, and where to look at. that's usually the only priority in bugfixing: the easiest bugs comes first. ;-)

and glad you're able to communicate

thank you! for now i'm trying to pretend that nothing special happening. it's slightly easier this way. ;-)

There I also encounter the issue about sound propagating from monsters hiding in monster closets.

(sighs) and this one… i can't even imagine what i could broke, and where. ;-)

Otherwise, enjoying loading quicksaves with ~200k decals of blood and slime all over the level.  It's a blast!

yeah, decals was the very first thing i added to the original Vavoom. exactly because i wanted to paint walls red with blood. ;-)

@pramenid heh. as for monster sounds… it actually happens in GZDoom too. the difference is that in GZDoom sound falloff is much stronger, so you simply don't hear anything due to the distance. if you will do "notarget" and "noclip", and move closer to the closets, you will eventually start hearing the same roaming sounds. the thing is that in Doom, sound falloff is as far from being "realistic", as other things are. k8vavoom is using OpenAL, which tries to simulate more-or-less physically correct falloff. i also must confess that i don't fully understand OpenAL coefficients, and if i mute the things more, then you can hardly hear even nearby monsters. it is prolly possible to calculate falloff either partially, or completely in the sound system code, bypassing OpenAL completely, but i'm not yet sure how to do it right, and don't break everything else.

Spoiler

…and nobody mentioned me in this thread. sigh. i guess i should move donation info at the top of the first post, and make it 72 size. maybe then somebody will notice. ;-)

sorry, not a demand, of course. just a sick joke.

@ketmar  I tried out the latest master and saw the texture fixes for dark.wad and that it and ma_val.pk3 have no unexpected sound leakage.  (Similar sound fixes for Ancient Aliens.)  Thanks!

@pramenid i'm glad that it works. just be careful with bleeding edge code, please. i mean, it won't explode your PC, of course, but you may hit some WIP bugs. i'm using this time to do some cleanups, and some rewrites i always felt necessary, but never had enough patience even to start. and i'm often commiting half-working, or even broken code.

No worries, I'm also a dev and know how it goes when the refactoring urge strikes!  Will stay on release builds if I'm doing some more serious DOOMing. 

1 hour ago, pramenid said:

Will stay on release builds if I'm doing some more serious DOOMing.

you can cheat a little: if there are no commits in a day or two, or if several new commits marked with a different subsystem (each commit is usually looks like "subsysname: text", then you can safely use either HEAD (if there are no commits), or the last commit with the different subsystem. such pauses or switches usually means that i consider something as "more-or-less working", and switched to something else.

i'm usually trying to keep the thing in a usable state, because i'm using HEAD myself to play normal Doom games, so most obvious bugs should not end up in a repo. ;-)

p.s.: althrough "no commits" heuristics is somewhat… unstable these days, due to me living in Ukraine. ;-)

Edited by ketmar

I get it. I am actually on the bleeding edge and taking my chances. What's the point of living, otherwise?  :)

6 hours ago, SyntherAugustus said:

Is there a reason why there still isn't Windows 11 support?

yes. because i don't use windows, i don't have windows installed, and it's not even among the list of main supported platforms. windows builds are cross-compiled with MXE, and very lightly tested with the ancient Wine version. as i neither know, nor care what m$ fucked up in their Brand New OS Version, i won't declare my binary builds as "compatible".

11 hours ago, SyntherAugustus said:

Is there a reason why there still isn't Windows 11 support?

Hope Ketmar doesn't mind me putting it here:

https://github.com/atsb/source-port-builds/releases/download/1.0/k8vavoom-git-master_win64.zip

Check the source port builds thread.  Windows 11, MinGW 64bit.  The only code changes were:

1. CMake was altered to remove the -mtune and -march as those were bleeding into the Windows CMake and flagging my CPU as non-64bit

2. All errors relating to "unsupported etc.." were removed to allow the build to create the pk3 files and the executable

3. Link.txt for CMake was altered to hardcode my path for SDL2 (no pkgconfig)

4. basev was put into the same directory as the binary as on Windows, it doesn't look in shared.

Plays nicely, saves and loads, etc...

9 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Hope Ketmar doesn't mind me putting it here

no problems, and thank you! if you can create non-intrusive (i.e. properly ifdef-ed, and isolated as a separate CMake option) patch, i can add it to the master, if you want.