Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ketmar

k8vavoom: no good thing ever dies!

53 minutes ago, camper said:

Hello ketmar!

hi! so, you finally decided to register here… ;-)

On 11/15/2021 at 4:00 PM, CBM said:

I know, but the purpose would be that it would serve as a techdemo. However I have abandoned that idea for now anyway. I have too many projects that I need to finish

It is very difficult for one person to lead a project of a complete game. So don't try to repeat doom2 from start to finish. Need go step by step. There is a wonderful megawad Silent steel that is the hallmark of Vavoom. It can be started with bootstrap wad. For it, you can pick up separate open packs with textures, sounds and sprites. By the way, Silent steel looks good surrounded by doom64 monsters:

https://open.tube/videos/watch/004a95ee-1bb3-4d8a-b140-811d66fe4f38

(of course, tweaking will be required, but less work is still required)

Spoiler

Sorry for my harsh English, I don't know him well. Therefore, I use a translator.

5 hours ago, camper said:

It is very difficult for one person to lead a project of a complete game. So don't try to repeat doom2 from start to finish. Need go step by step. There is a wonderful megawad Silent steel that is the hallmark of Vavoom. It can be started with bootstrap wad. For it, you can pick up separate open packs with textures, sounds and sprites. By the way, Silent steel looks good surrounded by doom64 monsters:

https://open.tube/videos/watch/004a95ee-1bb3-4d8a-b140-811d66fe4f38

(of course, tweaking will be required, but less work is still required)

That looks very cool, I will be sure to check that out.

Little issue running exec.wad map05.. not sure if it does it with other levels or wads but the player gets stuck spawning in DM with these settings:

-iwad E:\Doomports\IWADS\DOOM2.WAD +master_allowed 0  +MaxPlayers 2  
+DeathMatch 2  +FragLimit 5 +TimeLimit 5 +noexit 0  
-file E:\Doomports\PWADS\exec.wad +Nomonsters 1  
+Skill 4  +map map05

edit: disregard.. ok and now it's not getting stuck.. very weird.. 

edit: ah ok, yes it does get stuck but only at this spawn spot, not sure if it's the map yet:

exec_map05_01.png.74f1b67870be428cc5d19ae480346b51.png

exec_map05.png.8139d024885372829ba8f7d56abf66ea.png

Probably not the map as I don't remember it doing this in other ports.

~ As I suspected when I looked at it in the editor, both the player start and the SSG are placed on a vertex. But considering, the player doesn't get stuck here in other ports, is there anything that can be done about this?   ~ still why the author placed Things on vertices is beyond me though.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Hello? I think I've run into a problem.

I get not supporting ZScript (I actually don't, i just trust there's some good reason i don't know for leaving it out), and i figured that i could just do it the good old fashioned way with a voodoo doll and a conveyor belt, but voodoo dolls don't seem to be affected at all by conveyor belts. And it's not like i just did it wrong, because it works perfectly fine in LZ and GZDoom. Is this an oversight or an intended feature? Is there some flag or setting deep in the menus i just haven't found? Because without ZScript or Voodoo's this basically makes doing any 2 things at once impossible.

And on another note, can somebody tell me what i did wrong trying to integrate the k8vavoom speacials?
image.png.235edda9541197d6e2ef64932a65678c.png
image.png.61f5442c083792bd7bb175ca43b9070f.png

14 minutes ago, GeniusBandit said:

I get not supporting ZScript (I actually don't, i just trust there's some good reason i don't know for leaving it out), and i figured that i could just do it the good old fashioned way with a voodoo doll and a conveyor belt, but voodoo dolls don't seem to be affected at all by conveyor belts. And it's not like i just did it wrong, because it works perfectly fine in LZ and GZDoom. Is this an oversight or an intended feature? Is there some flag or setting deep in the menus i just haven't found? Because without ZScript or Voodoo's this basically makes doing any 2 things at once impossible.

What are you trying to accomplish?  If it's a map-related thing, I would just use ACS rather than try to mess with a voodoo doll.  Which I would do even if it had ZScript.

15 minutes ago, GeniusBandit said:

And on another note, can somebody tell me what i did wrong trying to integrate the k8vavoom speacials?

Move the K8 stuff above the ZDaemon lines and below the GZDoom OpenGL lines.

21 minutes ago, GeniusBandit said:

voodoo dolls don't seem to be affected at all by conveyor belts. And it's not like i just did it wrong, because it works perfectly fine in LZ and GZDoom. Is this an oversight or an intended feature? Is there some flag or setting deep in the menus i just haven't found? Because without ZScript or Voodoo's this basically makes doing any 2 things at once impossible.

I don't know if this is the same problem I've come across when making a map that was meant to target ZDaemon, but the way I managed to "fix" it was to use ACS to create a scrolling floor rather than using a sector special, and suddenly things would scroll the way I expected. I know that it's kind of a band aid solution, but if you want to stick to conveyors, learning just one script that runs when the maps starts might just be easier than having to sift through the ZDoom Wiki just to be able to script the actions you want to see happen... Seems like a decent compromise to me...

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I don't know if this is the same problem I've come across when making a map that was meant to target ZDaemon, but the way I managed to "fix" it was to use ACS to create a scrolling floor rather than using a sector special, and suddenly things would scroll the way I expected. I know that it's kind of a band aid solution, but if you want to stick to conveyors, learning just one script that runs when the maps starts might just be easier than having to sift through the ZDoom Wiki just to be able to script the actions you want to see happen... Seems like a decent compromise to me...

Thanks, I'll try that out 

7 hours ago, GeniusBandit said:

but voodoo dolls don't seem to be affected at all by conveyor belts

sadly, Boom conveyors are almost impossible to implement right in a freestep engine. at least i didn't found a way to do that, so voodoo scripting is more often broken than not. sometimes it works, but it's highly sensitive even to framerate (because converyors expects that friction will work exactly as in vanilla, and in Vavoom/k8vavoom it isn't). there are some other complications too, but the final effect is "it doesn't work reliable". alas.

i'm really sorry, but if you want some scripting, the only reliable way is to use ACS.

conveyors may be fixed someday, but i don't know when. i mean, i don't even know how yet. ;-)

15 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

but the player gets stuck spawning in DM

link to wad, please?

as for other ports… vanilla BSP walker is slightly different, and ZDoom-based ports have some hacks to "unstuck" the player. i'm not going to implement unstucking code, but i may add map hotfix, as i already did for some other maps with similar problems.

@Mr.Rocket thank you! the problem is that… the player is REALLY stuck in geometry. here, look at the top-right corner of the player box: it is slightly inside the alcove. that's one of the reasons why i don't want to implement automatic unstucking.

Spoiler

0z3e52.jpg

thank you! i will add a hotfix for this.

Alright, finally got a chance to try the port for real since recently mangaged to use a better pc, and really only ran into one issue:

- If you start a new game, idclev straight to map15, and go through the secret exit, the text screen from map21 will play before the map31 text screen (so 2 text screens will pop up in total). The one from map21 will still play like normal once you get there, though.

Also, despite now having a half-decent pc, was still running out of ram (I think it's ram, might just be vram), to the point the ceiling and floor textures couldn't be drawn in time and were replaced with white (floors) and black (ceilings). After turning off some stuff like bloom, it was running fine. Not really much of an issue, per say, just something kinda interesting.

4 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

If you start a new game, idclev straight to map15, and go through the secret exit, the text screen from map21 will play before the map31 text screen (so 2 text screens will pop up in total). The one from map21 will still play like normal once you get there, though.

thank you, i'll take a look!

4 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

After turning off some stuff like bloom, it was running fine. Not really much of an issue, per say, just something kinda interesting.

looks like driver or vram problems. the engine is actually quite demanding with everything turned on, and default settings are tweaked to get some "eye candy" (because most of the time people will simply start a new game, and may never know that we have some facny gfx effects ;-).

i am mostly testing k8vavoom on NVidia GPU (quite old GT720, tho), so there may be problems with AMD and Intel (they are known for faulty OpenGL drivers). and shaders are only tested on NVidia too, so some shaders may work wrong (NVidia GLSL compiler is quite forgiving). not that i really can do anything with that, but thank you for the report anyway — it's always better to know about such problems. and your solution may help other people with similar problems, of course!

ah, and thank you for trying k8vavoom! ;-)

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

i am mostly testing k8vavoom on NVidia GPU (quite old GT720, tho), so there may be problems with AMD and Intel (they are known for faulty OpenGL drivers). and shaders are only tested on NVidia too, so some shaders may work wrong (NVidia GLSL compiler is quite forgiving). 

It's an nvidia machine

Like I said, vram probably :p but do agree that the eye candy does look kinda cool.

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

thank you, i'll take a look!

Amazing :)

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

ah, and thank you for trying k8vavoom! ;-)

;-)

sorry all, i couldn't resist the temptation to add more features to "maintenance build". among them is promoting Gore Mod to built-in feature, so it is now possible to turn it on/off during gameplay, and without invalidating saves. it can really help with slaughterwads where a lot of infights happening, because gore mod spawns hundreds of new actors on each hit. so i decided to delay this build a little (if you haven't noticed yet ;-). the usual idea is to release it at the end of this week. i hope. at least in 2021. maybe. ;-)

Edited by ketmar

On 11/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, ketmar said:

there is no other way to create lightmaps, you have to raytrace them. there is no real difference between doing it as a separate step, or just after the map is loaded. what documentation are you interested in?

The lightmap part. If K8Vavoom integrates the whole thing and lightmaps are done internally and even can update semi-realtime how would a Vavoom map in-editor get lights given its Quake heritage?

• After map geometry is loaded in?
  • Or through a special deviation in-editor?

Because in a regular Quake editor, baking is an artform of itself ;)

On 11/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, ketmar said:

p.s.: that's also why i'm not so fond about external lightmap builder. who will rebuild lightmaps on geometry change? ;-)

Quake users, apparently. But humour me: Is your lightmap system less or worse on hardware than the oldskool baked lighting way?

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Quake users, apparently. But humour me: Is your lightmap system less or worse on hardware than the oldskool baked lighting way?

oh. i feel that there is some misunderstanding there. try to think of it like this: "on the first map load, vavoom runs light.exe for it automatically". this is the only major difference — that hypotetical "light.exe" is automatically executed for you by the engine, you don't have to do it manually. that "light.exe" actually built into the engine, exactly like a BSP nodes builder, but it doesn't change the big picture. in GZDoom, for example, you don't need to build nodes for you maps: if there are no nodes, or no GL nodes, GZDoom will use its internal node builder at map loading. Vavoom does the same with lightmaps: it is using its internal lightmap builder (that "light.exe") to build lightmaps. so the only difference is WHEN the builder is called, not what it does, or how it is done. k8vavoom then may decide to cache lighting results, so next time it won't need to run "internal light.exe" again. so we have best of both worlds: you don't have to manually run Yet Another Tool, and for complex lighting the engine will save automatically calculated lightmaps.

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

how would a Vavoom map in-editor get lights

ahem… not that i fully understand the question. i mean, it is always was like this: you place the light entity in the map, the tool calculates lighting from it. so does Vavoom: it attaches dynamic lights to some decorations and things, and then "runs light.exe internally". and then k8vavoom keep updating (recalculating) lightmaps when either some lightsource was moved, or some lighted geometry was changed. again, by calling internal "light.exe" for it.

i.e. nothing special, again. just put the usual dynamic light on your map, and the engine will do the rest.

promoting Gore Mod to built-in feature required more testing (how dare you think that it is just an excuse to play all the wads i still didn't play?! it was a feature testing!), hence the delay. but i guess you all already used to Ketmar's New Meaning of "next week" anyway. ;-)

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

promoting Gore Mod to built-in feature required more testing (how dare you think that it is just an excuse to play all the wads i still didn't play?! it was a feature testing!), hence the delay. but i guess you all already used to Ketmar's New Meaning of "next week" anyway. ;-)

By the way, are the multiple lines in the log like 

Warning: field `user_spray` is missing in saved data for class `K8Gore_BloodTransient`

considered a bug or a feature?

P.S. My build is not the most recent, being dated 29.11.21, but there wasn't any significant changes since then as I far as I can tall. Also, it happens even with freshly made saves, so it's not an artifact from a previous version.

1 hour ago, Steinkrauz said:

By the way, are the multiple lines in the log like 

Warning: field `user_spray` is missing in saved data for class `K8Gore_BloodTransient`

considered a bug or a feature?

harmless bug: conflicting declarations in DECORATE and VavoomC. thank you, fixed! ;-)

And another bug/feature. In Ultimate Doom, E2M4 there is a small room with some nice stuff. When you cross the entrance, a part of the floor is raised to block the exit. But if you somehow stay on this part, you'll be trapped in this sector with no way out. GZDoom in this case will kill you, just like with a normal crusher, Chocolate, on the other hand, will also trap out, though another way. That's why I'm not sure if it's a bug, or simply normal Tech1 behavior.

Spoiler

Log: Map Hash (ripemd-160): aa4c16dd5625f2ae4ab62248a6d51876f3800f72
Log: Map Hash (md5): 1bc04d646b32d3a3e411daf3c1a38ff8
Log: sub: 7; sector: 54
Log: pos:(2571.4,244.56,151.94)  angles:(258.129,13.31)
Log: +map e2m4 "+warpto 2571 244 151"

@Steinkrauz it will kill you if you have 100% health, but will trap if you have more. map fault. thank you, i'll think if it worth a workaround. i can add a check and keep hurting the player if the pawn is trapped in zero-height sector, it shouldn't break anything. at least i think so, have to do more checks first.

wow, the last build in this year! grab it until it is… ahem… well, not so hot, it is cold here.

2021, Dec 31, brief changelog:

highlights:
* moved Gore Mod into the engine; it is now possible to turn it on/off while playing!
  sorry, this may invalidate your saves. but now you can turn it off for some slaughtermaps
  without restarting them. this may be useful, because gore spawns a lot of actors.

* more map hotfixes (thanks, Mr.Rocket!)
* forgot to init render lists in camera texture updater (thanks, Lila Feuer and id0!)
* turn off "lax monster activation" for UDMF maps (thanks, Remilia Scarlet!)
* fixed invalid label assign code for old-style decorate (thanks, id0!)
* disable recoloring for single-texture fonts (ACS scripts often using such fonts for some HUD elements) (thanks, id0!)
* transfer player TID from the dead body on "resurrect" command (thanks, Remilia Scarlet!)
* some fixes in shadowed cvar handling (and imporved UI, so user will see which cvars are "locked")
* do not load "autoexec.cfg" from PK3, to avoid stealth option changes (thanks, Remilia Scarlet!)
* fixed bug in `A_RadiusGive()` (invalid RGF_PLAYERS/RGF_VOODOO checks)
* fixed map fixer ;-) (use MTF_GSINGLE constant instead of 0x07 to fix thing spawning in SP) (thanks, XenonSP!)
* added "__rgf_heal__" and "__rgf_overheal__" special pseudoitems to `A_RadiusGive()`
* fixed small savegame loading bug (invalid sprites for mobjs; harmless, but ugly ;-) (thanks, XenonSP!)
* added `berserkerMult` optional arg to `A_CustomPunch()` (thanks, XenonSP!)
* DECORATE hack: set "+NoFear" and "+StayMorphed" to cancel "+NoExtremeDeath" flag when missile Target has Berserker powerup (useful for some scenarios)
* implemented damaging floor decals (see specs for documentation)
* oops, should use wall angle, not wall normal angle in bounce calculations (thanks, ENEMY!!!)
* proper puff spawn from "hitscan projectiles"; this restores puff logic, and puff particles
* slightly more correct label dispatching in `A_Jump()` (at least it *should* be more correct ;-)
* `A_KillChildren()` DECORATE action fix (thanks, id0!)
* more protection from broken mods where player pawn dies for real (thanks, id0!)
* added death states to default player pawn (in case some modder will decide to bypass game-specific pawn) (thanks, id0!)
* RadiusDamageFactor should be taken from the victim, not from the projectile in `RadiusAttack()` (thanks, id0!)
* disable checkpoints if the game has more than one player class (because checkpoint cannot save player class info) (thanks, id0!)
* fixed crash in "-nogore" mode (accessing gore mod cvars)
* fixed MP menu crash (thanks, dolmatt)
* use less memory to generate vm code, and for debug info (debug info now uses 20 times less memory!)
* moved Gore Mod into the engine; it is now possible to turn it on/off while playing (may be useful for some slaughterwads; gore is quite expensive)
* it is now possible to turn off colored blood for Bruisers and Cacos (see built-in gore mod options)
* small DeHackEd fixes (parse negative "Bits" values)
* fixed checkpoint loading in non-Doom games (thanks, XenonSP!)

Edited by ketmar

Happy New Year!
A deathmatch started working, but the with the bootable Iwad from Freedoom 0.5 stopped working. Since I am a lover of minimalism, my choice is a miniwad.wad.

I can confirm that the flak cannon's projectiles now work as they should, so thanks for that!  Just a quick report though, it seems that the old transparent scrolling sky glitch is back in this version.

Edited by ENEMY!!!

I'm not sure if the glitch is 100% back or not, but I think it's as if transparency below a certain amount is rendered correctly, and then transparency above that amount is rendered at 100%.  Two example screenies:

shot0004.jpg

shot0003.jpg

It's not an artefact of trilinear filtering because when I have filtering set to the classic pixellated look I still get this effect.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:57 AM, ENEMY!!! said:

I'm not sure if the glitch is 100% back or not, but I think it's as if transparency below a certain amount is rendered correctly, and then transparency above that amount is rendered at 100%.

yeah, it is possible. thank you, i will take a look!

21 hours ago, Scorpio said:

Any chance for a macOS port?

absolute zero. sorry. even if somebody will do it, i won't accept any clang/macos specific patches into the mainline. the decision is final, and not negotiable.