Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spie812

New Ways to Play Old Levels

Recently I remembered that Memento Mori Map31 starts the players off in different parts of the level, and they meet up later. Switching the starting places around must change the experience a bit, right? Well, I did it and it's basically a whole new level. Only the ending stretch remains the same. There were dozens of new areas that I had never seen before! Everything was new and interesting again! I did have to noclip at one fairly obvious spot though, which didn't really sour the experience at all come to think of it.

The same goes for Memento Mori Map29. Normally in single player, you are given the red key really early on and almost all of the level can be skipped because of that. Playing it in a multiplayer game completely changes the experience. It's another full level of areas I had never seen. Again, there are some pretty obvious spots where noclip is required since you only have one player, but it was a completely new experience in a level I had to have played a dozen times before.

I just think that it's really cool that WADs older than I am that I have played more times than I'd care to admit still carry new experiences if you're willing to look for them a bit. Are there other maps like this, ones that I have probably played to death which have some sort of alternate path that completely changes the way the level is played?

Anecdote time: As a kid, when I first discovered wad editing but didn’t actually know how to map, one of my favourite things to do was move player starts and supplies to new positions on familiar maps just to get more mileage out of them. It really is surprisingly effective.

Sometimes I replay maps with one of the Final Doomer+ weapon sets. Maybe I will try the Plutonia Simulator some time, too :D

But I rarely replay old maps, there are so much good stuff coming out ... the backlog is yuge !

There was a Vanilla DooM map (wicked_7:  Wicked be the Ways of Men - Idgames text file) I made many years ago that created 3 different single player progressions in the same map. From the text file:

“Each skill level "starts" the map at a different location, and some of the traps are skill-level specific. Additionally, the keys and weapons are at different locations for the different skill levels, and there are some areas that are only accessible to specific skill levels.”

Having replayed a shit-ton of famous wads, what I am doing nowadays is speeding through them all with respawning monsters. I'm not sure if this is what the OP meant but since I'm already accustomed to replaying custom wads on all difficulty settings, playing for a 100% items/secrets run on respawning monsters makes the action a lot better. Or

Three Ways to Die is a single map for DooM2 using any limit-removing port. It features 3 different progressions, depending on skill level chosen. Weapons, keys, and power-ups are also placed in different locations. All skill levels pose a reasonable challenge, and many fights are different

On 10/14/2018 at 6:23 AM, Doomkid said:

Anecdote time: As a kid, when I first discovered wad editing but didn’t actually know how to map, one of my favourite things to do was move player starts and supplies to new positions on familiar maps just to get more mileage out of them. It really is surprisingly effective.

I wonder how many people loved doing this and replacing monsters with stronger ones. I think this is the reason people love using wads that randomize monsters to get more challenge for maps they already beat.